cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keyboard/Mouse not working at login - Maximus X Hero wifi

ronson
Level 7
Hi all

Just installed this new board with an i5-8600k. Can use mouse/keyboard in the bios though no joy at win7 login screen or in safe mode. Have set legacy usb though still does not work.

Really do not want to reinstall o/s if possible. Have done a lot of research and been through a lot of the troubleshooting already. It is in a Fractal Design Define R5 case. Tried the usb 2 headers and they also do not work.

Appreciate if anyone could provide some logical troubleshooting steps.

Regards
Ron
6 REPLIES 6

Praz
Level 13
Hello

If this is an operating system install from a different platform Win7 does not contain native USB drivers for Z370.

I took the ssd out of my old case and put it in a new case with new m/b. Still win7. Nothing changed there. Is there anyway to get the usb drivers installed via a boot disk or other method?

ghostcell
Level 7
Did you ever get it figured out? I had 2 of the same mobos as you and both had the same issue you are having. I updated the BIOS, uninstalled and reinstalled drivers, I tried different versions of windows, swapped HDDs, when I called Asus and told them all of that they asked me to RMA the board but i just returned it to amazon instead. I would recommend people stay away from these boards until the issue is resolved.

ghostcell wrote:
Did you ever get it figured out? I had 2 of the same mobos as you and both had the same issue you are having. I updated the BIOS, uninstalled and reinstalled drivers, I tried different versions of windows, swapped HDDs, when I called Asus and told them all of that they asked me to RMA the board but i just returned it to amazon instead. I would recommend people stay away from these boards until the issue is resolved.

The issue is not the boards. Its folks choosing to use an antiquated OS on hardware that was made long after drivers for Win7 stopped being produced and updated. Would you expect Win 3.1 or 95 to work? This is common across all manufacturers as Win7 does not nativly support USB 3.0 or USB 3.1. When Win 7 stopped sales this platform did not exist. We are talking about an OS that is nearly 9 years old and support with updates will completely cease very soon.

The OPs issue is multiplied by attempting to move an OS from one build to another and attempting to just resume with a major change in hardware. No release of windows will do that.

For those that insist several workarounds that inject USB 3.0 drivers into the install media. For the OP you will have to do a clean install.

Here is one such utility from intel amde for NUC but should work as its just injecting the USB 3.0 drivers. ASUS has a similar utility posted on several MOBO support pages.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25476/Windows-7-USB-3-0-Creator-Utility

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
The issue is not the boards. Its folks choosing to use an antiquated OS on hardware that was made long after drivers for Win7 stopped being produced and updated. Would you expect Win 3.1 or 95 to work? This is common across all manufacturers as Win7 does not nativly support USB 3.0 or USB 3.1. When Win 7 stopped sales this platform did not exist. We are talking about an OS that is nearly 9 years old and support with updates will completely cease very soon.

The OPs issue is multiplied by attempting to move an OS from one build to another and attempting to just resume with a major change in hardware. No release of windows will do that.

For those that insist several workarounds that inject USB 3.0 drivers into the install media. For the OP you will have to do a clean install.

Here is one such utility from intel amde for NUC but should work as its just injecting the USB 3.0 drivers. ASUS has a similar utility posted on several MOBO support pages.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25476/Windows-7-USB-3-0-Creator-Utility

It was the USB 2.0 that wouldn't work. I had to use the PS2 mode in the BIOS to use the mouse and keyboard. Forgive me if I choose not to upgrade to a Windows that snoops on you even more so than Win7 already does. I was just hoping to use this as a gaming PC and then install Tails on another hard drive. Btw, if this mobo won't work with WIn7 why wouldn't Asus just tell me that as we were doing the trouble shooting? Seems like that would be the first thing to mention if that was the case.

PS , I don't want to come off sounding rude so I apologize ahead of time if that's the case, that is not my intention. I appreciate any information I can get and thank you for your time that has been taken out of your day to skim this over.

Menthol
Level 14
To add to what Justin said
This is why ASUS has a utility on the download page called ASUS_EzInstaller which slipstreams USB 3.0 drivers into your copy of Win 7 so you don't have this issue

Options are using PS2 mouse and keyboard if your motherboard has these or one of these or similar