cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus X Hero (Wifi) Random Restarts

forrest_kugell
Level 7
Hi everyone,

I am having problems with my Maximum X Hero (Wifi) motherboard. I get random restart when trying to pass prime95 blend tests. At all stock settings I get random restarts 4-5 hours in and when I set up an overclock I get restarts within 2 hours. The following are my system specifications,

i7 8700k
Corsair H110i Top Exhaust
Asus Maximus X Hero (Wifi)
Asus Strix GTX 1080
16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 (3000Mhz 15-16-16-35)
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
Corsair 750D Airflow Edition
Corsair RM850X

I had a MSI Z370 Gaming M5 and with all the same hardware I never had these restart issues, so thinking it was the motherboard I returned it and got a new one and I still have the same problem.

When I do overclock these are the settings I adjust
AI Overclock Tuner to Manual
ASUS MultiCore Enhancement to Disabled
All cores to 4.7Ghz
DRAM Frequency to 3000Mhz
CPU SVID Support to DIsabled
CPU Core/Cache Current Limit to 255.5
CPU Core/Cache Voltage to Manual
CPU Core Voltage Override 1.3V (I think this is overkill based off my other motherboard but I wanted to make sure this voltage wasn't the problem)
DRAM Voltage to 1.35
DRAM CAS# Latency to 15
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay to 16
DRAM RAS# ACT Timer to 35
CPU LLC to Level 6
CPU Current Capability to 140%
Intel SpeedStep to Disabled
Long Duration Package Power Limit to 4095
Package Power Time Window to 127
Short Duration Package Power Limit to 4095

I am running on BIOS version 0505 which after just checking is not the newest version, I will update to that when I get home today.

BIOS aside I was wondering if anyone would have any idea what my problem would be.
21 REPLIES 21

forrest_kugell
Level 7
Updated to 0802 and I still get random restarts at stock settings

Raja
Level 13
Load defaults, disable mce, set svid behaviour to best case, and leave everything else on auto. See if you still get restarts. If so, let me know which fft length causes the restart.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
Load defaults, disable mce, set svid behaviour to best case, and leave everything else on auto. See if you still get restarts. If so, let me know which fft length causes the restart.

I will give that a try in the morning, I just reinstalled windows to see if that could have been the problem. Is there a way to tell what FFT I am on when I get a restart? Like I said it is hours into the testing before I get the restart on default settings and roughly 2 hours when I have my OC set up.

Raja
Level 13
You'll have to look at what Prime95 is running around those timeframes.

Raja@ASUS wrote:

I got a random restart with the settings we talked about, SVID best case and MCE disabled, it was somewhere before 5 hours of runtime, when I get back I will set up a camera or something to take pictures every 5 to 10 seconds to figure out what FFT causes the restart. I'm also going to pick up some RAM from a best buy and I can test with that at some point just to be safe. (the current ram was stable XMP on another board so I think it's fine but best to check I guess) I'll see if they have any QLV ram.

Raja@ASUS wrote:

So I set up my old phone to take a picture every 5 seconds, and this attached image is 0-5 seconds before my computer restarted,

I know the quality really sucks I am trying to figure out exactly what was running at that time, I wish there was a list of FFTs run on prime 95....

Thread 1 56K (next to run is 1440k)
Thread 2 1440k (next to run is 56k)
Thread 3 72k (next to run is 1600k)
Thread 4 72k (next to run is 1600k)
Thread 5 1728k (next to run is 112k) or is it 1600k (next to run is 84k) or is it 56K (next to run is 1440k)
Thread 6 1728k (next to run is 112k) or is it 1600k (next to run is 84k) or is it 56K (next to run is 1440k)
Thread 7 72k (next to run is 1600k)
Thread 8 72k (next to run is 1600k)
Thread 9 56k (next to run is 1440k)
Thread 10 56k (next to run is 1440k)
Thread 11 72k (next to run is 1600k)
Thread 12 72k (next to run is 1600k)

Edit 2: Out of curiosity I bought some Corsair DDR4 3000Mhz from bestbuy, set it up with a mild OC and still got a random restart, the following is when I restarted,

I will retry with the same BIOS settings as before now with the new RAM which I should have done in the first place... (either way it shows that RAM is not the problem 100% which is too bad I like the Corsair RAM more...)

Update: So I ran stock settings MCE Disabled and SVID Behavior best case, my pc did not restart with the new ram *yet...* it passed 9 hours and is going on a second round through the ffts. Another thing that might or might not make a difference is I didnt open up the Asus software / corsair link/ core temp / cpuz / HWMonitor during this stress test, the only thing up was prime95.

Update 2: So I kept running with the update from before and I ran for 10 hours 39 minutes fine, that allowed me to get through the normal trouble FFT sizes twice. I then opened the ASUS ROG software, core temp, cpuz, HWMonitor, and Corsair Link and ran the blend stress test again without restarting. I got to the 800k and 24k FFTs before I had a problem, this time I did not restart but my screens went black and my keyboard and mouse turned off, the PC seemed to still be running. There was the error code 4F on the debugger, I am not sure if this error code poped up or if it happened when the computer was trying to restart.

Update 3: Another fresh install of windows and a new SSD and we are still getting random restarts at various FFTs.

Update 4: To check my sanity I put the MSI board back in again before returning it to see if I got random restarts, currently with a modest 4.7Ghz OC and using XMP ram settings I have completed the blend test well past the normal ASUS restart point twice, I am going to run it longer overnight now for a 3rd longer pass.

Raja
Level 13
What happens when you don't use XMP for the new memory? Does the system still crash or restart?

FWIW, CPU current capability at 140% might be a bit too low for Prime95 small FFT loops. They pull a lot of current!

Raja@ASUS wrote:
What happens when you don't use XMP for the new memory? Does the system still crash or restart?

FWIW, CPU current capability at 140% might be a bit too low for Prime95 small FFT loops. They pull a lot of current!

I still get restarts using no XMP for the new memory, I am doing blend not small FFT but isnt 140% the max setting?. It sees to restart randomly anywhere in the bend loop. I am not sure what the problem is as I havent had any problems with another board. I have swapped out every component but the PSU with the ASUS board as well

Raja
Level 13
The max ocp varies by board model. Typically, if its happening without xmp, the issue is caused by vcore. Check how much voltage you need on the other board and adjust accordingly.