ROG Enthusiast Array hirethestache's Avatar

G74SX-DH72 Bluray's not reading(hl-dst-st bddvdrw ct21n)

This may just be an issue with the Bluray disc I'm trying (brand new Ides of March bluray), but my G74SX is not reading. It recognizes that there is a BD-ROM in the drive, but wont play. The model in the device manager is "hl-dst-st bddvdrw ct21n" and after doing some searching around I couldn't find any reliable fixes.

Normal DVD's and disc's play fine. I dont have any specific medial players other than iTunes, WMP and VLC as I ordered my computer through GenTechPC.com and had a barebones Bloatware Free model sent.

Anyone have anything on this?

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array

Which software are you using? WIndows doesn't natively support BD playback, so you have to use 3rd-party BD player software.

ROG Enthusiast Array hirethestache's Avatar

I dont have any 3rd party software installed, and unfortunately dont know of any free 3rd party softwares.

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array

A limited version of Roxio Cineplayer comes installed on the G74s, but it seems to be rather finicky and often won't output BD video when installed outside of the Asus OEM installation.

Many of us use PowerDVD Ultra 11, which retails at $59. You can download a free trial from their website if you want to try it.