cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL Series Performance/Longetivity/Temperatures Question

Screwtape
Level 7
Hello Everyone!

I recently bought a GL703V, with the i7 7700, and the 1060 GTX.

TL;DR Version:
With the GPU running at 90C (without getting third party cooling like Opolar), and CPU at 75C, will this laptop burnout prematurely (5 years or less), because of the constant load? Should I return it and get myself another gaming laptop? Or are those temperatures normal for long-term usage and frequent gaming?

Long Version:
I've been gaming and monitoring temperatures and have noticed that it runs much hotter than my 5 year old desktop. Granted, I know gaming laptops will always run (much) hotter because of the physics of it all. But 20-30C hotter seems ...excessive.

I was seeing spikes in temperature for the CPU of 80C+ and the GPU go up to 90C while monitoring with different games, different developers, with settings on mid-to-high (even though technically these games are well withing optimal performance for playing with most settings on Ultra). If curious, these games include WoW, ME: Andromeda, AC: Black Flag, and AC: Unity (I'm aware that last one has always had performance issues because of poor development).

I did the Power Management trick for the CPU explained in one of the top threads here and it evened it out. I tried the Afterburner fix which did lower the GPU (but only by 5C, which is nothing to write home about).

My last attempt is to do a clean install of Win10, which for some has worked to even things out because some believe ASUS' 'optimization' of the install is also an issue (though I don't see anything in Windows settings to prove that/different from a clean install)

The million dollar question is, are these temperatures acceptable for long term computing? When I buy any computer, I immediately think 5 years down the line. I want my equipment to last. But I also want to game, and I don't want to have to shut a game off after two hours to let the laptop cool down, because it doesn't seem logical. I'm not the type to play 12 hours in a row (though there are lazy Sundays that I get close to it).

With temperatures running at 90C on the GPU, long term, will the stress eventually burn it out prematurely? I have a very open-ended warranty with the retailer and have a chance to return it (I have to return it anyway because the monitor is defective). I still have a chance to return it and just get another brand's gaming laptop instead of replacing it with a non-defective model.

With previous desktops, I never quite measured temperatures consistently, but the CPU, GPU, and case fans never went up to max, which usually meant that the temperatures were super-optimal.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

P.S. Forgive me if these question have been answered ad nauseum, but I haven't quite found them.

Cheers,
4 REPLIES 4

macaco000
Level 7
To put things in a simple way, just return your laptop while and if you can.

You won't get 5 years out of a laptop that heats that much and on top of that hovers around 50°C on Idle. Instead aim for 2 years max, right after your warranty expires, you'll get a fried motherboard because that's what happens when components are exposed to constant high heat and variations in temperature that will cause the solder to crack.

A little bit of a rant now... I own this laptop, I'm also thinking about returning it, I'm tired of dealing with this constant lack of respect for the costumer. In this case we paid ASUS high money for a laptop poorly designed and the most ridiculous cooling system with small heatpipes and heatsink. They definitely squeezed every bit of money they could out this machine.

If it isn't for cooling issues it's another problem, manufacturers always "cut some corner" here and there just for the sake of squeezing a dolar. If I've told how many times I've return laptops you wouldn't believe me. In my case, I just don't have the mental and social strength anymore to get to the store and say "Hey, could I please return this laptop in apparently and deciveingly good condition?"

Lord_Obsidian
Level 9
In a common: 75C for CPU is good, but 90C for GPU is bad. 90C is temperature safety threshold, and constant operating at such temperature regime will be negative for component.
Out of GL series I can recommend only GL553VD/VE, because it has best screen out of its competitors and also has customizable RGB keyboard, but its cooling system is less efficient than in its competitors (however, still not bad for 1-vent laptop). GTX 1050Ti is less powerful than gtx 1060, but not as drastically as gtx 1050.
Less efficient cooling means that when compared to other laptops temps sometimes differ even up to 10C (so where its competitors maintain 75-77C GL553 goes 80-85C). Although, games like Destiny 2 or Resident Evil 7 go under low temps, near 70-75C, even on this laptops. However, temperature issue has a solution and even out of box in hard stress tests laptop keeps CPU at 80-85 and GPU at 80C. It's not the best result, but still affordable (especially considering the fact that it’s 1-vent laptop).
If you want gtx 1060, I think things Predator 15 or 17 G-smth will be better (G-smth, not this year Predator Helios!)

Hi !
My asus laptop FX502 - VMZ FY414 ( I7700HQ \ 16 gb RAM \SSD 512 gb \ Gforce GTX 1060 6 gb\ WIN 10 64 bit\ home edition) i`ve bought about a month ago. When playing games ( witcher 3, gta v, battlefield 3 etc.) my GPU temperature is about 70 - 72 degrees Cels. When watching films the temp. is about 47 - 50 C. The laptop is always on the cooling pad, temperature at home is about 20 C. Versions of nvidia drivers and bios are the latest.
The question is: those people, who have the ROG or similar laptops, what GPU temperature you have when gaming, and what do you think about this tempeatures, is it high or normal? Also what you think , how many years may laptop work with such temperatures ( I use it from 3 to 5 hours a day).
Thank you.

JaneGoins
Level 7

The temperatures you mentioned for your laptop, particularly the GPU temperature of 90C, are indeed high. While gaming laptops are designed to run hot, such high temperatures could potentially lead to premature component failure and reduce the overall lifespan of the laptop.

That being said, it's worth noting that some gaming laptops are known to run hot, and manufacturers often set the temperature limits of the components to allow for higher temperatures. However, if you're concerned about the longevity of your laptop, it may be worth considering additional cooling solutions, such as a cooling pad or an external fan, to help bring the temperatures down.

Additionally, you mentioned that you have an open-ended warranty with the retailer, so if you're not satisfied with the performance or temperature of the laptop, you could consider returning it and looking for another gaming laptop that may have better thermal management. There are many options available on the market, and you could look for reviews and benchmarks that specifically address thermal performance.

In summary, while the temperatures you're seeing may be normal for a gaming laptop, they could potentially reduce the lifespan of the components. Adding additional cooling solutions or considering a different gaming laptop with better thermal management could help alleviate these concerns. Ultimately, it depends on your personal preferences and priorities for your gaming setup.