cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL553-VE + ADOBE CC 2018 = Driver_State_Power_Failure, but can game without issues?

DwayneYu
Level 7
I got my GL553 two weeks ago. I just now had the chance to start using it, and migrating my work from my old G551. Since I hate any kind of bloat, first thing was to format and do a clean windows install, followed by updating nvidia drivers to the latest verison and installing and updating Adobe CC.

Problem: Adobe CC (any program that uses the GPU) eventually freezes and crashes to BSOD). Dump analysis seems to point to pci.sys
Gaming is fine. My longest sessions don't go over an hour, and at least for now CODWWII nor CODIW have given me any trouble.

LOG:

-Format and install W10. Installed Intel Graphic Drivers from Asus Site. nVidia Drivers from Asus Site.
-Update nVidia Drivers to latest nVidia site version.
-Discovered error
-Rebooted computer, tried other CC software, problem persists.
-Disable power saving mode
-Update nVidia drivers to latest version (388.43), problem persists, BSOD.
-Rever to nVidia drivers provided by Asus. Problem persists but no BSOD. Adobe, Premiere, Photoshop and Illlustrator crash, but I can prevent the shutdown by finishing the process from the process manager. When I reopen anything from Adobe CC, GPU acceleration is disabled. Set PC to always use the 1050ti instead of the Intel Graphics from nVidia control panel
-Update to BIOS 304, problem persists.
-After updating BIOS, update to latest nVidia drivers again. Problem persists. Complete freeze and BSOD.
-Reinstall nVidia drivers from Asus. Stable, crashing Adobe CC but usable without GPU acceleration.

I'm honestly quite a bit mad. My previous Asus laptop had driver issues all the time. Most games would crash if not ran in borderless windowed mode and no driver update ever solved the 860m implementation.

Anyone encountered similar problems? None of the solutions on other threads applied to me, and the cases seem to be dissimilar, since I can game without issue.

Thanks everyone and I hope we can find a solution to this.
8 REPLIES 8

hlyfl
Level 7
I also got the same problem when my GL553VE updated to 1709 (system frozen and BSOD)

Finally I reinstall the intel graphics driver 21.20.16.4599 (2017/2/1) (download from ASUS).

and uninstall all nvidia drivers, then windows will auto roll back the graphic driver to 21.21.13.7654 (2016/12/29)

I didn't see BSOD for several days, F.Y.I.

Did you reinstall nvidia drivers afterweawards?

I was facing this problem too, what fixed it for me a read in another topic... Go to nvidia configuration panel and set Nvidia to be the main video card, and go down in Power management and set max performance.

MichelPerry wrote:
I was facing this problem too, what fixed it for me a read in another topic... Go to nvidia configuration panel and set Nvidia to be the main video card, and go down in Power management and set max performance.

Wouldn't that screw up the card in the long run?

MichelPerry wrote:

That's weird. I don't have power management on the nvidia control panel.

DwayneYu wrote:
That's weird. I don't have power management on the nvidia control panel.

About the screwing up the card, I hope it doesnt... I've used some similar configuration in my desktop because some stuttering gaming and no problems...

I think the image will help you, my windows is in portuguese but I think it will be useful. https://i.imgur.com/oyUi193.png

ameyabadalwar
Level 7
DwayneYu wrote:
I got my GL553 two weeks ago. I just now had the chance to start using it, and migrating my work from my old G551. Since I hate any kind of bloat, first thing was to format and do a clean windows install, followed by updating nvidia drivers to the latest verison and installing and updating Adobe CC.

Problem: Adobe CC (any program that uses the GPU) eventually freezes and crashes to BSOD). Dump analysis seems to point to pci.sys
Gaming is fine. My longest sessions don't go over an hour, and at least for now CODWWII nor CODIW have given me any trouble.

LOG:

-Format and install W10. Installed Intel Graphic Drivers from Asus Site. nVidia Drivers from Asus Site.
-Update nVidia Drivers to latest nVidia site version.
-Discovered error
-Rebooted computer, tried other CC software, problem persists.
-Disable power saving mode
-Update nVidia drivers to latest version (388.43), problem persists, BSOD.
-Rever to nVidia drivers provided by Asus. Problem persists but no BSOD. Adobe, Premiere, Photoshop and Illlustrator crash, but I can prevent the shutdown by finishing the process from the process manager. When I reopen anything from Adobe CC, GPU acceleration is disabled. Set PC to always use the 1050ti instead of the Intel Graphics from nVidia control panel
-Update to BIOS 304, problem persists.
-After updating BIOS, update to latest nVidia drivers again. Problem persists. Complete freeze and BSOD.
-Reinstall nVidia drivers from Asus. Stable, crashing Adobe CC but usable without GPU acceleration.

I'm honestly quite a bit mad. My previous Asus laptop had driver issues all the time. Most games would crash if not ran in borderless windowed mode and no driver update ever solved the 860m implementation.

Anyone encountered similar problems? None of the solutions on other threads applied to me, and the cases seem to be dissimilar, since I can game without issue.

Thanks everyone and I hope we can find a solution to this.

Facing the same issue but only in lightroom and aftereffects...its quite frustrating !!!

Same here on GL553VD running Photoshop.
~ InspectorGadget
Programmer and Owner of RTGNetwork!
GitHub: https://github.com/InspectorGadget