CPU CoolerNZXT Kraken X62
    CaseFractal Design Define R5 Black
    Power SupplyCorsair AXi760
    Keyboard Razer DeathStalker Chroma
    Mouse Razer Abyssus
    OS Windows 10
    Network RouterMikrotik

@izzyreb02
    1.Top M.2 does not disable any SATA ports. Only bottom one when configured in X4 mode.
    2. "and biting each others throats" do not have a clue what are you talking about. Nobody is fighting anybody.
    3 At 1 GB/s read and under SATA III writes I would not expect high temperatures either, but then again SX800 should be 2500 read and 1100 write per http://www.adata.com/en/specification/423 so maybe your drive also throttles?

@el_terrible I also had the same speeds in the top slot, with the heat shield.
    Want to get the speeds you payed for? You know the answer.
    Last edited by Deepcuts; 12-20-2017 at 04:52 PM.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array izzyreb02 PC Specs
    izzyreb02 PC Specs
    MotherboardRampage VI Extreme
    Processor9900X
    Memory (part number)32 GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB DRR4 3200Mhz/F4-3200C14Q-32GTZR
    Graphics Card #1Asus Strix 2080 OC
    Sound CardSound Blaster AE-5
    MonitorMG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung EVO 512 M.2
    Storage #22x 2TB WD HDD (DATA), 6TB WD (Games)
    CPU CoolerThermaltake Floe Riing 360mm
    CaseThermaltake View 71 Tempered Glass
    Power SupplySeasonic Prime Gold 1200Watt
    Keyboard Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum
    Mouse Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum
    Mouse Pad Logitech PowerPlay
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z906 5.1 Surround
    OS Windows 10 Pro
    Network RouterAsus RT-AC88U

Quote Originally Posted by Deepcuts View Post
    @izzyreb02
    1.Top M.2 does not disable any SATA ports. Only bottom one when configured in X4 mode.
    2. "and biting each others throats" do not have a clue what are you talking about. Nobody is fighting anybody.
    3 At 1 GB/s read and under SATA III writes I would not expect high temperatures either, but then again SX800 should be 2500 read and 1100 write per http://www.adata.com/en/specification/423 so maybe your drive also throttles?

@el_terrible I also had the same speeds in the top slot, with the heat shield.
    Want to get the speeds you payed for? You know the answer.
    -sigh- the reason why my bench mark is like that is because i was stressing it with Aida64.. Dont tell me you didnt notice that. When you benchmark and stressing it, of course the benchmark scores will go lower due being hold back (I only started doing the stress test while it was doing the 2nd phrase with Aida64), due to stress test. But of course my M.2 is a 128GB, so Speeds may vary.

But yes your right on one thing though, that is the Bottom M.2 Slot configuration side of things.

"In the Manual if you leave it on default the Top M.2 Slot will disable 1 Sata Port on the bottom. (In SATA Mode)
    The Bottom one disables 2 on the Sata Ports (SATA Port 5 and 6 will be Disabled). Thats if you put it on PCIEX4 mode on the bios."

To me personally, it seems like your the one going all out on us (and it feels like your pointing fingers at us as well lol), since you see us not having the same kind of issue that your having with the top slot. (in regards of temperature)

I get a feeling that this topic is going to end up in an arguement manner (eventually), if it doesnt end soon.

I'm just the kind of person, that just let people use, on what they wanna use (as long it doesnt harm their system lol).

But of course, If they use something that I dont agree with, I tell them once only. (unless i've been proven wrong) If they don't want to listen, I just let it be and leave it alone.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	127 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	69736
    Last edited by izzyreb02; 12-21-2017 at 01:03 AM.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Deepcuts PC Specs
    Deepcuts PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus X HERO BIOS 1901
    ProcessorIntel i7 8700K @ 4.7Ghz 1.215V
    Memory (part number)CMR32GX4M4C3466C16 @ 3200Mhz 1.360V
    Graphics Card #1Asus Strix GTX 1080Ti OC 11GB
    Sound CardCreative Omni 5.1 USB
    MonitorDell 24' S2417DG
    Storage #1Samsung EVO 960 nvme 500 GB
    Storage #2Seagate NAS 8TBx2
    Mouse Razer Abyssus
    OS Windows 10
    Network RouterMikrotik

I did not notice the aida stressing.
    Never crossed my mind to do a SSD benchmark while stress testing my system. And never seen anyone else doing it before
    Can you do a proper benchmark (without stress testing) of your drive while monitoring your temps and post the results?

More in-depth testing regarding M.2 shields:
    https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2...s-temperatures

Regarding SATA1 being disabled while settings M.2_1 in SATA mode, you are right. But, it never crossed my mind that anyone could use a high end board with a low end SATA M.2 drive, thus, I was thinking about a "true" pcie device. My bad.

Off topic:
    I do not know why you feel attacked. I am just stating facts, as I see them and as I test them and I am not attacking anyone.
    If anyone has another point of view, I always welcome those who can prove me wrong with tests and screenshots.
    And with this, I hope you can rest assured nobody is fighting you. Just facts matter.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by Deepcuts View Post
    Now run a test on that drive. Do a large copy or a benchmark. Let me know how that goes for your temps.
    Just remember, most if not all M.2 have a memory controller temperature sensor also, which usually runs even hotter. Use hwinfo and see your Drive Temperature 2 going through the roof. Some users report 100 deg. Celsius and over.
    Please post some info and links so we can see the truth about some users reporting 100 degrees. You know what i think? You are full of rubbish and have nothing to back your hillarious post. You just WANT to be right - but if someone disagree, you come up with some stupid claims.

I have M.2 installed on top slot and my M.2 is around 30-35 degrees idle, and 50-55 degrees on heavy duty (benchmarks) If you have 100 degrees you have no airflow at all and need to read about how to cool your system. No one have 100 degrees on top M.2 slot....no one! Do you really think ASUS will make a highend motherboard and do something stupid ingeneering with M.2 slots?

Please stop being a smart a*s.

New ROGer Array

Maximus X Hero, which m.2 slot would be cooler?

I did some testing around this. In short, all things being equal I was seeing 2-4c less in the top slot with the heat sink on. Some details on my config and testing.

I have a Maximus X Hero/i7-8700k I swapped into an existing z170/i7-6700k build as a rebuild. I initially moved over an EVO 960 1TB to the top m.2 slot. I started running into capacity issues so I ordered a 960 Pro 2TB.

Initially I put the 960 Pro in the bottom slot and then cloned roughly 900GB of data from my 960 EVO to the Pro. Temps topped out at 52c on the bottom slot (Pro) and 48c in the top slot (EVO). During idle the delta was only 2c.

Once the clone was complete I shut down and swapped the two drives and ran some more sustained copies between the two to gauge throughput and also to test temps. I again saw almost the same in reverse, the top slot was roughly 3c less under load and 2c at idle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by thebc2; 12-23-2017 at 05:08 PM.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Deepcuts PC Specs
    Deepcuts PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus X HERO BIOS 1901
    ProcessorIntel i7 8700K @ 4.7Ghz 1.215V
    Memory (part number)CMR32GX4M4C3466C16 @ 3200Mhz 1.360V
    Graphics Card #1Asus Strix GTX 1080Ti OC 11GB
    Sound CardCreative Omni 5.1 USB
    MonitorDell 24' S2417DG
    Storage #1Samsung EVO 960 nvme 500 GB
    Storage #2Seagate NAS 8TBx2
    Mouse Razer Abyssus
    OS Windows 10
    Network RouterMikrotik

@emsir, you need a chill pill dear.
    Test done without a dedicated GPU to heat up thing even more:
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages..._review,7.html
    Also, https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2...s-temperatures
    And a 100 deg. Celsius for your pleasure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hhdWwvh5kI
    You should also learn that most M.2 ssds have a controller sensors also, as I stated before (but who has time to read), that runs even hotter than flash itself. When your flash is @55-60 deg. Celsius, your controller is baking
    If you are happy with your temperatures, by all means, use whatever you wish. I like to treat my devices nice and keep them cool, while at the same time not standing near a vacuum cleaner level of noise (read tons of fans at max)
    Last edited by Deepcuts; 12-23-2017 at 11:41 PM.

New ROGer Array Starscream PC Specs
    Starscream PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus Hero X Wifi
    Processor8700K
    Memory (part number)Trident RGB 3200 CL 14
    Graphics Card #1Strix 1070 OC
    Storage #1960 Pro NVMe
    CPU CoolerDeepcool Captain 240 RGB
    CaseThermaltake P3
    Power SupplySeasonic 750 Gold

Just thought I'd mention that there is a strip of plastic on the blue thermal tape that needs to be removed on installation in the top slot. When I installed my SSD, I removed that plastic strip and removed the SSD label so the blue thermal tape made direct contact with the SSD chips.

New ROGer Array

I feel the need to contribute here:

-stay away from the adata active m2 cooler, it's a piece a s**it, vibrates from all the corners and the LEDs heat it more up
    -ROG bracket cooler from the MB decreases with around 3-4 Celsius the load temperatures if used on the M2_2 (bottom slot) though in continues heavy load that difference tends to decrease

I for one found the best solution, bought an EK M2 black passive heat spreader and placed a noctua 40mm fan on it, I took off the label from the SSD top chips and now in stress benchmarks on a 960 I have 62-64 max temps, load/games operation does NOT go over 57, this is what I recommend at this point in regards to this topic.

ROG Member Array stainlineho PC Specs
    stainlineho PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus X Hero WiFi-AC

Quote Originally Posted by MirceaR. View Post
    I feel the need to contribute here:

-stay away from the adata active m2 cooler, it's a piece a s**it, vibrates from all the corners and the LEDs heat it more up
    -ROG bracket cooler from the MB decreases with around 3-4 Celsius the load temperatures if used on the M2_2 (bottom slot) though in continues heavy load that difference tends to decrease

I for one found the best solution, bought an EK M2 black passive heat spreader and placed a noctua 40mm fan on it, I took off the label from the SSD top chips and now in stress benchmarks on a 960 I have 62-64 max temps, load/games operation does NOT go over 57, this is what I recommend at this point in regards to this topic.
    Wow I never break 35C with a 40mm Noctua mounted directly over my NVME with the mount that came with the motherboard.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array Snakeyes's Avatar

Different strokes for different folks. I was seeing idling temperatures around 38° and in the mid 40s under heavy read/writes. I went the simple route of attaching 10 MM fan to the top of the OEM heatsink (Maximus X Code), blowing across the heatsink. Now idling is between 30 and 32° and the maximum under heavy load is around 35°.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	724.3 KB 
ID:	73682

960 EVO temperature at the bottom of the AIDA64 sensor panel.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	7 
Size:	268.3 KB 
ID:	73683
    NAME THE SANDWICH: – White Bread, Lots of Baloney, Russian dressing and served with a small pickle.?

Intel Core i7 8700K @5.1 Stable Delidded
    Asus Maximus X Code

16 GB
    G skill TridentZ DDR4 ​4266 (PC4 34100)
    Corsair HX1000i digital
    EVGA 1070 GTX TiSuperclocked+
    Samsung NVMe SSD 960 pro M. 2
    Samsung 860 Pro
    Watercooled with EK block radiator fans etc.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast