cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC plus Rampage VI freeze on boot

Aysberg
Level 10
Got a Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC last week and replaced my 1080 in my RIG. At boot the system freezes with random errors. Sometimes during the DRAM test phase, sometimes during VGA phase. (Test CMOS / Test DRAM / Test NVRAM / Test VGA BIOS and so on). Sometimes it hangs before the ASUS screen, sometimes on the screen, if I make it to the BIOS the system freezes in seconds while changing settings. If I get the system past BIOS and see the Windows loading animation, everything is fine.

Doing a CMOS reset, let's the system boot for one or two seconds longer, with some luck after 5-10 resets the system boots. In Windows 10 everything is fine. After a reboot, shutdown or cold boot, the same error prone boot process begins 😞

With my old 1080 the system is 100% stable and boots every time.

My setup...

Mainboard - ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME BIOS 1004
CPU - Intel Core i9-7980XE (optimized defaults or OCed)
RAM - G.Skill F4-3200C14-16GTZ 4x16GB @3200-14-14-14-34
Storage - Samsung SSD 960 EVO 1TB - OS on board
Storage - 2 x Samsung SSD 960 EVO 1TB - data on HYPER M.2 X16
PSU - Corsair HX1200i

OS - Windows 10 1709 (all updates)
NVIDIA driver 388.59

Monitor - 2 x HP Z27s via Display Port

Tried disabling fast boot, returning to bios defaults, CMOS reset, reseating the 1080Ti (used the old 1080 for some days and tried again), reinstalling drivers. No solution so far.

Will return the card the next days if I find no solution to run this setup stable.
12 REPLIES 12

ExcessiveGBH
Level 8
Have you tried just having one monitor connected and also using HDMI port as a test?
System specs
Win 11 Pro 21H2
Rampage VI Extreme
BIOS 3801
I9 10920 @5.0GHz all cores
EK-KIT G360 (CPU only)
Samsung 960 PRO M.2 NVMe 1TB
Samsung 970 EVO M.2 PLUS NVMe 2TB
Kingston Fury Renegade 4TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD with Heatsink
1 Samsung SSD 4TB EVO
1 X Samsung SSD 860 EVO 4TB
2 x 10TB drives
1 x 2TB drive
ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 OC 24GB @3015 MHz
32GB G Skill Trident Z 3466MHz 15-17-17-37
Corsair AX1200W PSU
Sound Denon AVC-A1
LGC1 77

JustinThyme
Level 13
Aysberg wrote:
Got a Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC last week and replaced my 1080 in my RIG. At boot the system freezes with random errors. Sometimes during the DRAM test phase, sometimes during VGA phase. (Test CMOS / Test DRAM / Test NVRAM / Test VGA BIOS and so on). Sometimes it hangs before the ASUS screen, sometimes on the screen, if I make it to the BIOS the system freezes in seconds while changing settings. If I get the system past BIOS and see the Windows loading animation, everything is fine.

Doing a CMOS reset, let's the system boot for one or two seconds longer, with some luck after 5-10 resets the system boots. In Windows 10 everything is fine. After a reboot, shutdown or cold boot, the same error prone boot process begins 😞

With my old 1080 the system is 100% stable and boots every time.

My setup...

Mainboard - ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME BIOS 1004
CPU - Intel Core i9-7980XE (optimized defaults or OCed)
RAM - G.Skill F4-3200C14-16GTZ 4x16GB @3200-14-14-14-34
Storage - Samsung SSD 960 EVO 1TB - OS on board
Storage - 2 x Samsung SSD 960 EVO 1TB - data on HYPER M.2 X16
PSU - Corsair HX1200i

OS - Windows 10 1709 (all updates)
NVIDIA driver 388.59

Monitor - 2 x HP Z27s via Display Port

Tried disabling fast boot, returning to bios defaults, CMOS reset, reseating the 1080Ti (used the old 1080 for some days and tried again), reinstalling drivers. No solution so far.

Will return the card the next days if I find no solution to run this setup stable.

Id be prone to say you got a dud in the 1080Ti. Its not the rest of the system. Im running two Strix 1080Ti OC cards in SLI with not a single issue. I ran them one at a time during prebuild testing with everything on a box top before I yanked the heatsinks off and install EK blocks on the graphics cards. The fact that the 1080 runs fine is sufficient to prove the point. Cant blame drives if its locking up before you get to the OS. The only thing I can think of that would point to anything different is the PSU and connections. The 1080 is an 8 pin and a 6 pin where the 1080Ti is two 8 pin connections. You do have those installed correctly and on a PSU that can support it?

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
If the 1080 was working fine, I'm inclined to say RMA. Before doing that, try different slots and make sure nothing is preventing the card from being pushed all the way down.

Aysberg
Level 10
Thanks for your help. My 1080 has two 8 pins too, so I think this connection works fine. Will do a last test with a different slot and one monitor with HDMI (read this somewhere else too), but even if this works, it's still no valid solution. Need a setup which runs like my old one and never had any problems with a graphics card not working like intended 😞

Aysberg wrote:
Thanks for your help. My 1080 has two 8 pins too, so I think this connection works fine. Will do a last test with a different slot and one monitor with HDMI (read this somewhere else too), but even if this works, it's still no valid solution. Need a setup which runs like my old one and never had any problems with a graphics card not working like intended 😞

1) Did those DP cables ship with the monitors? If HDMI cures the problem, it could be due to DC leaking into the board from the DP cables.

2) If that doesn't check out, what happens when you don't use the onboard 960 drive? You can try moving it to the Hyper X16 card (not the DIMM.2) to check if the system will BOOT into the OS. If you do have any drives on the DIMM.2 card, try without those, too.

Aysberg
Level 10
@Raja Thanks, I use the cables from HP. But I will try some spares I have. Will try HDMI and only one monitor tomorrow.

Since the system boots perfect and is stable with the current NVMe setup, I think I will pass this test. This is my work PC and changing a GPU is OK, dissembling everything for the NVMe is a bit much. The DIMM.2 is not in use.

I can return the card until the end of the week, so I got some more time to do tests. But HW gets pretty expensive if you need to invest so much time 😞

Aysberg wrote:
@Raja Thanks, I use the cables from HP. But I will try some spares I have. Will try HDMI and only one monitor tomorrow.

Since the system boots perfect and is stable with the current NVMe setup, I think I will pass this test. This is my work PC and changing a GPU is OK, dissembling everything for the NVMe is a bit much. The DIMM.2 is not in use.

I can return the card until the end of the week, so I got some more time to do tests. But HW gets pretty expensive if you need to invest so much time 😞

That test could point a clue as to where the issue lies. Sometimes, voltages need tweaking for some drive configs due to certain CPUs being more sensitive. Sounds strange, I know. The alternative is the RMA first, and if that doesnt cure it, you'll have to do some more debugging.

Aysberg
Level 10
Removed everything from my build. Just BIOS defaults, NVMe (on board I know 😞 ) and the Strix. Moved the card from first to third PCIe slot, monitor to HDMI and did some tests. Still unable to boot after a shutdown without resetting the system several times.

Will return the card and see if I get quickly a replacement.

Aysberg
Level 10
Positive thing, I got a brand new replacement card. Negative thing, the boot problems are the same 😞 Switched the card over to my x99 rig and it seems to work fine.

So, is there any setting I can change in the BIOS, which may help with stability on the GPU during post.

This only happens during post, if I am able to get past post and into W10 everything is 100% stable and fine. If post freezes it mostly happens during Test NVRAM / Test VGA Bios or direct after during HDD detection. If during post the system does not freeze that fast and I am able to enter the UEFI Bios, the system freezes there after some seconds 😞 If I am able to load my defaults and save/reset, the system is mostly able to boot into W10. Until the next shutdown, when everything starts again.

As mentioned, this only happens with the Strix 1080Ti OC, my ZOTAC 1080 AMP! Extreme never had those problems. Removed all other hardware, switched PCIe slot, changed from two monitors via DP to one via HDMI. Behavior is always the same. I am clueless, but I really would like to use this card.

Is there a beta Bios for the Rampage VI or a newer Bios for the 1080Ti?

Rampage VI: 1004
ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti GAMING OC: 86.02.39.00.23