cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Rampage VI Apex SLOW POST / BOOT!

danielblackpoun
Level 7
Hello,
my problem is that my Rampage VI Apex mainboard have a long POST / boot time (round about 27 seconds (from clicking the powerbutton to Bios splash screen)

I make here a Video where you can see what I mean. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1OlKys4apc

It frustrates a lot if you spend 500 euro for a mainboard which needs a long time to POST/BOOT.
As example my old pc with Z87-Pro mainboard from Asus POST instant after click the power button.

What i already tried:
Update actual bios
TONS of bios settings (actually set to default)
Disconnect all USB cables
remove my m2 ssds + RAM (except one :D)
(after each try the Time to POST is every time the same)

Anyone know how to fix this ? I will be thankful for every answer.

My Specs:

• i9 7980 XE
  • 2x Titan XP
  • Rampage VI Apex Mainboard
  • DDR4 Corsair RGB RAM 4 x 16 GB 3466MhZ
  • Custom Water Cooled (Blocks,Pump from EKWB and Fittings from Phanteks.)
  • M2. SSD from Samsung (Pro 1 TB / 2 Pieces) (Not in raid)

Thank you for your help!
18 REPLIES 18

Ramalama
Level 7
Same here with Rampage 6 Extreme

But its a little bit faster here...
But anyway its horrible slow!!!
I have same feelings as you.

But its all user... No one from asus will comment this or innterests for this....
Look how long it takes for a bios update for the IMEI bug....

Even my QVL Trident Z F4-3600C17Q cant boot with xmp @3600mhz (max is 3400mhz)

However, ive waited for the Board 3 Months and ive got Crap with beatiful lightning in my eyes...

So dont wait for anything, just send your board back and buy anything else if you have the option...
Like asrock, they should boot much faster... (didnt tryed gigabyte, but i have here an asrock fatality x299 to compare...)

If you dont have the option to send back... yep... have fun to wait for bios updates...
i dont believe that there will be anything better with a newer bios... However doesnt matter... Just waste of money... Asus was good some time ago but now, its just crap...

EDIT: And to anyone... yes ive tryed xmp on the asrock with exactly the Ram and 7900x CPU from R6E... 3600mhz no problem, asrock does 3800 max, where r6e does 3400 max.

Cheers

Ramalama wrote:
Same here with Rampage 6 Extreme

But its a little bit faster here...
But anyway its horrible slow!!!
I have same feelings as you.

But its all user... No one from asus will comment this or innterests for this....
Look how long it takes for a bios update for the IMEI bug....

Even my QVL Trident Z F4-3600C17Q cant boot with xmp @3600mhz (max is 3400mhz)

However, ive waited for the Board 3 Months and ive got Crap with beatiful lightning in my eyes...

So dont wait for anything, just send your board back and buy anything else if you have the option...
Like asrock, they should boot much faster... (didnt tryed gigabyte, but i have here an asrock fatality x299 to compare...)

If you dont have the option to send back... yep... have fun to wait for bios updates...
i dont believe that there will be anything better with a newer bios... However doesnt matter... Just waste of money... Asus was good some time ago but now, its just crap...

EDIT: And to anyone... yes ive tryed xmp on the asrock with exactly the Ram and 7900x CPU from R6E... 3600mhz no problem, asrock does 3800 max, where r6e does 3400 max.

Cheers

Thank you for your answer! That makes me sad...
In germany we can return goods within 14 days the problem 14 Days are over....
Is there anyone who can make a private bios without this long post (im able to pay for this)?

Why I buy a board for overclocking when the post time is so long that i lose my enthusiasm for overclocking after some reboots. This is criminal.

I already read from some user that Asus writes that this is not their problem and that we need to live with this problem. Sad story...
Hopes that a Moderator write here something about this topic.

Here are no moderators active...

Im in germany too... and i have same problem as you, that i cant return the board anymore...

however, ive learned for the next time.

About bios mods... This was possible with Aptio 4
But now we have Aptio 5 and there are no tools available to modify anything correctly...

So you are stucked, like me, and you need to live with that.

Its hard, but it is how it is.
Maybe any moderator will post something like Raja, but i dont believe it.

Cheers

EDIT: see the good side of that... the post takes hours, but windows loads extremely fast :-)))

Ramalama wrote:
Here are no moderators active...

Im in germany too... and i have same problem as you, that i cant return the board anymore...

however, ive learned for the next time.

About bios mods... This was possible with Aptio 4
But now we have Aptio 5 and there are no tools available to modify anything correctly...

So you are stucked, like me, and you need to live with that.

Its hard, but it is how it is.
Maybe any moderator will post something like Raja, but i dont believe it.

Cheers

EDIT: see the good side of that... the post takes hours, but windows loads extremely fast :-)))

The curios thing is that i can change all bios options like fast boot, memory training off etc... but the post time is still the same.
Exactly 27 Seconds. I think some developer wants to troll the customers 😄

BTW. IM SO LUCKY. I see that i bought the board from Amazon. Here i have 2 Months time to send the board back :cool:
The Problem im tooo lazy to expand the mainboard from the PC Case where was my Watercooling system inside 😞

Menthol
Level 14
27 seconds is not a long time on a HEDP, every device has to initialize during post, memory and CPU tests to perform, graphics card UEFI, USB, sound, sata, etc.
I don't think any other manufacturers board with the same amount of devices and features can post any faster, if you add Wifi and BT, nvme, 2 or more Graphics cards, 27 seconds is actually pretty fast
If you want to swap boards to another manufacturer that's your prerogative, but you'll probably be on there forums with the same complaint
Happy Holidays and I hope you have a prosperous new year

Menthol wrote:
27 seconds is not a long time on a HEDP, every device has to initialize during post, memory and CPU tests to perform, graphics card UEFI, USB, sound, sata, etc.
I don't think any other manufacturers board with the same amount of devices and features can post any faster, if you add Wifi and BT, nvme, 2 or more Graphics cards, 27 seconds is actually pretty fast
If you want to swap boards to another manufacturer that's your prerogative, but you'll probably be on there forums with the same complaint
Happy Holidays and I hope you have a prosperous new year

Thank you for your answer.
i search on the internet the times for the asrock and msi boards.
They have the same problem. Asrock 27 Seconds, MSI 31 Seconds Post.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/11727/asrock-fatal1ty-x299-professional-gaming-i9-motherboard-review/...

I think that i have to live with this problem. But why all bull**** boards can post instantly and skylake x needs 27 seconds to post?

On my R6E boot into windows Desktop takes 21sek (18 Seconds of that is Post, 3 seconds the windows boot logo to windows Desktop)

On Asrock fatality x299 same takes 11sek (8 Seconds Post, 3 seconds from windows logo to Desktop)

Its half the time, do you need a video to believe me???
I dont want to swap the mainboards again, its a huge pain in the ass, but i can do this, if asus do bios improvements!

Cheers

EDIT: Thats exactly same board as i have here.

Disable CSM in bios completely and enable Fastboot, check you time then...

They test somehow bad (Non Uefi Post time) ? We are using uefi only... dont know what that means.

EDIT:

Sry, ive retested my R6E now (Currently inside my case)

You have absolutely Right!

Exactly 27 Secounds for the post and 4 Seconds for windows = 31s for everything

Ufff, i thinked it was 21s for everything, i need to stop write crap....

Need to check my asrock, i have it still here, dunno which board i will use at the end, because one board goes to a build for a friend (the ****tier one xD)

I will write back after i have swapped the boards, but that can take a bit, its a huge work.....

But as far i remember the asrock is definitive heads faster... i can bet it was 10s faster as the R6E... but will retest, to get the correct value.

But R6E takes exactly 27s for post.

Sry, and Cheers!

Ramalama wrote:
On my R6E boot into windows Desktop takes 21sek (18 Seconds of that is Post, 3 seconds the windows boot logo to windows Desktop)

On Asrock fatality x299 same takes 11sek (8 Seconds Post, 3 seconds from windows logo to Desktop)

Its half the time, do you need a video to believe me???
I dont want to swap the mainboards again, its a huge pain in the ass, but i can do this, if asus do bios improvements!

Cheers

EDIT: Thats exactly same board as i have here.

Disable CSM in bios completely and enable Fastboot, check you time then...

They test somehow bad (Non Uefi Post time) ? We are using uefi only... dont know what that means.

This discussion is happening again and again through these forums and I come to the conclusion that Asus BIOS is just slow

but I also have an Asrock motherboard, the Gaming 6 z370 i58600 and it also posts faster then the Hero I have, the Hro takes twice as long

So what does the BIOS and the POST do different between motherboards ?
will