cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set adaptive voltage mode correctly in BIOS? Help Please~

Wulala
Level 7
Hi Everyone,

i just built a new PC with i7 -8700k and Asus ROG Strix z370-E. Here is the spec:

I7-8700k (not delided)
Asus Strix z370-E
Corsair DDR4 3200 16gb with XMP enabled
Corsair H115i liquid cooling
Asus 1080ti graphic card

I just stablized my overclock setting at 4.9ghz with 1.345 volts and i would like to change the CPU core/cache voltage setting from manual mode to adaptive for day to day use. After entering "1.345" as the value for "additional Turbo Mode CPU Voltage", i noticed that my PC always boot up windows with much higher voltage such as "1.52.. (max)", which i had to restart my pc and set it back manual mode immediately.

I had also tried to restore all the deafult setting in BIOS and only changed the core ratio to 49 and selected adaptive mode with "1.345" volts but it would still runs with much higher voltages (like around 1.42 volts..)

Can any one please teach me how to set adaptive voltage correctly so my system would run up to 1.345 volts in turbo mode?
Also, would adaptive mode be better for day to day use?

Thanks! 😃 😄
14 REPLIES 14

Raja
Level 13
Check here: http://edgeup.asus.com/2017/kaby-lake-overclocking-guide/3/

Set the ia a.c. and dc load lines to 0.01 as shown, too. Or you can try svid behaviour to best case. See which gives you the voltage you want.

Thank you so much Raja! will definitely give it a try 😃

Raja@ASUS wrote:
Check here: http://edgeup.asus.com/2017/kaby-lake-overclocking-guide/3/

Set the ia a.c. and dc load lines to 0.01 as shown, too. Or you can try svid behaviour to best case. See which gives you the voltage you want.

Old post I know....

But for all those that are reading online like me to overclock, from all the reading I have been doing, this is not suppose to be a good way, running stress tests in Adaptive Mode.

In the meantime, what is IA DC Load & IA AC Load?

Turbo Mode CPU Core Voltage shows for Air Cooling 1.25v, why this voltage?

SlackROG wrote:
Old post I know....

But for all those that are reading online like me to overclock, from all the reading I have been doing, this is not suppose to be a good way, running stress tests in Adaptive Mode.

This is because most people writing the guides don't understand how to use Adaptive mode, so it's easier for them just to tell people to use manual voltage.

SlackROG wrote:

In the meantime, what is IA DC Load & IA AC Load?

Sets how much VID the CPU requests according to load - it's designed be used relative to the external load line.

SlackROG wrote:

Turbo Mode CPU Core Voltage shows for Air Cooling 1.25v, why this voltage?

It's just a guideline. If you need less or more based on your CPU and cooling, use less or more. As with all things, if you read properly and actually do it, you start to learn the skills not to need guides or help.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
This is because most people writing the guides don't understand how to use Adaptive mode, so it's easier for them just to tell people to use manual voltage.

Sets how much VID the CPU requests according to load - it's designed be used relative to the external load line.

It's just a guideline. If you need less or more based on your CPU and cooling, use less or more. As with all things, if you read properly and actually do it, you start to learn the skills not to need guides or help.

I'd like to think I'm somewhat Geek, but I also don't want to mess up the hardware with something I'm not sure about what I'm doing.

So after reading a little, my understanding with the Additional turbo mode CPU core voltage I put in the actual volts I used to Manual Volt OC? Which in my case I used 1.315v

Thanks

SlackROG wrote:
I'd like to think I'm somewhat Geek, but I also don't want to mess up the hardware with something I'm not sure about what I'm doing.

So after reading a little, my understanding with the Additional turbo mode CPU core voltage I put in the actual volts I used to Manual Volt OC? Which in my case I used 1.315v

Thanks

That's why there's a guide (which tells you what to set). 😉

If you want to do things another way, that's up to you. It's a free world, my friend.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
That's why there's a guide (which tells you what to set). 😉

If you want to do things another way, that's up to you. It's a free world, my friend.

@Raja@ASUS I've been looking around, but is there a Sticky on the Forum for OC, and I'm running a Maximus VIII Hero with i7-6700K, so when it comes to the ROG boards I don't know if the OC for all, or most of them is pretty much the same?

Since you're Asus Staff, are you the OC Expert for Asus on the forum to turn to for help?

Are you only talking about this one guide talked about on the post?

http://edgeup.asus.com/2017/kaby-lake-overclocking-guide/3/

Don't get me wrong, I'm not here to rock the OC boat and make it sink... LOL You know Rock the Boat... 😉

Anyhow I'm doing my best, and there's quite a few guides floating around on the forums, then I looked all over the web, and when I combined everything I read and learned, the one thing that was the majority with everything out there I read, was to do the OC Manual and stress test it, then once a stable OC has been set, put it at Adaptive. Don't stress test on Adaptive because the volts spike around is what I've read...

Have you seen this video before? I'd really love to hear your thoughts on some of the things being mentioned here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZe26lv7lJ4

THANKS

Raja
Level 13
As I said above, you simply have to set the adaptive voltage correctly, and then, you avoid the step of going from manual to adaptive. Some of this aversion to using adaptive was caused by earlier platforms having an adaptive voltage hike for AVX, people not knowing about IA AC/DC load line settings/SVID behaviour on Z370, plus the impact of Uncore ratios on the requested VID (this has been patched). That's the only reason that guides tell you to do it via manual voltage. Now that it's all been dialed out, there's nothing to be concerned about. Some of these folks don't even know that SVID needs to be enabled for adaptive voltage...

Anyway, use whatever guide suits your mindset and requirements. If you've got your system set up (as you evidently have), please carry on and enjoy it. 🙂

Raja@ASUS wrote:
As I said above, you simply have to set the adaptive voltage correctly, and then, you avoid the step of going from manual to adaptive. Some of this aversion to using adaptive was caused by earlier platforms having an adaptive voltage hike for AVX, people not knowing about IA AC/DC load line settings/SVID behaviour on Z370, plus the impact of Uncore ratios on the requested VID (this has been patched). That's the only reason that guides tell you to do it via manual voltage. Now that it's all been dialed out, there's nothing to be concerned about. Some of these folks don't even know that SVID needs to be enabled for adaptive voltage...

Anyway, use whatever guide suits your mindset and requirements. If you've got your system set up (as you evidently have), please carry on and enjoy it. 🙂

See here is what's confusing, I don't think Asus realizes, that there is the Overclocking Guides;

https://rog.asus.com/articles/guides/guides-overclocking/

And I was originally following this guide, since it talks about the 6700K, which has you stress test on Manual, then change later to Adaptive;

https://rog.asus.com/articles/guides/guide-overclocking-core-i7-6700k-on-the-maximus-viii-extreme/

Also why isn't your article on the Asus website? See if it was there, then I would of seen it, which I didn't tell later I came across it. And if your Article is excepted by Asus as some Official Guide, then it should be placed on the site.

Well there's more then one way to Skin a Cat, so of course we can OC the BIOS in many ways.

I'm not Geek enough at present time to know and understand the many ways, I just go this motherboard.

So for now, until I get Geek enough, I'm trying to determine if there's a recommened path I should follow, and that is why I asked when you mentioned the Guide, if that was the one you were talking about that I should follow for now?

http://edgeup.asus.com/2017/kaby-lake-overclocking-guide/3/

The OC I did is stable for 1 hour on Realbench, it's all I tested for the moment, but it crashes right away on the latest Prime95.

This guide is also listed as Kaby, so I wasn't sure how much of it related to Skylake, doing a lot of it the same way?

Also I put up this post, with something I was looking at too with Adpative and Turbo Volts;

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?100933-Question-On-Adaptive-OC-amp-Volts

Thanks