cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sonic Studio 3 loudness equalization issues

DogEatDawg
Level 7
I recently set up a new system and I'm having issues finding the right settings for loudness equalization, if it exists.

I'm on Windows 10 Home 64 bit, ROG STRIX Z370-E board, and the newest version of the Realtek audio driver and Sonic Studio 3 from Asus's site. I have a 2.1 speaker system plugged in to the motherboard, green port.

Previously, on Win 7, I could just check the loudness equalization box under playback devices -> properties- > enhancements, but that option doesn't exist anymore.

I've played with various settings in Sonic Studio, including messing with the Smart Volume feature, but nothing seems to work. Loudness will vary wildly within one video, or from one video/song to the next, or one application to the next. Sometimes it will change volume if I skip ahead within a video.

The programs are all using the right profiles (movie/gaming/music), and I can hear differences if I adjust settings, but nothing seems to get the loudness to equal out. The overall equalizer is turned off too.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for getting this loudness issue sorted out? Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4

domfather
Level 7
im also wondering about this ever since i updaed the sound driver iv had this problem...might have to revert back at this rate.
CPU: i7 7700k
GPU: EVGA 1080ti Kingpin
Ram: GSkill TridentZRGB 2x8 3200mhz
cooler: NZKT kraken x52
Psu: EVGA G2L 850watt
HD1: Samsung 840 EVO 256GB
HD2: WDCB 1T
HD3: WDCB 4T
Case: HAFX

domfather wrote:
im also wondering about this ever since i updaed the sound driver iv had this problem...might have to revert back at this rate.

Have you had any luck? I gave up and reverted back to a basic Windows driver to get the option back. Which is a shame, I like the other options in Sonic Studio.

DogEatDawg wrote:
Have you had any luck? I gave up and reverted back to a basic Windows driver to get the option back. Which is a shame, I like the other options in Sonic Studio.

If you guys really check the mannual of Sonic Studio III, it says specifically that Smart Volume just works as sound normalization, you can turn it to "soft" instead of "extreme", which will give you a much more comfortable normalization than the one Windows gives you. Just set Smart Volume to "soft" with only Base Boost and nothing more. The audio is superiorly nice at 24bit, 48000Hz. It is very shameful most people donesn't know how to use this software.
components in PCPartPicker
Intel 8700K - 5.1GHz core, 5.0GHz cache, 1.37v
EVGA FTW3 1080Ti Hybrid SLI - 2.0GHz core, 12GHz memory
Asus Maximus X Hero
Corsair Dominator 16x4GB - 3000MHz default XMP 15-17-17-35
Fire Strike 36838 Extreme 25250 Ultra 14464

I was having the same issue. I have a new custom build using z390-f mobo. I just wasn't getting the volume. Particularly noticed gaming, e.g pubg. I tried updating the realtek drivers but they were up to date. So I went to install new driver option, instead of searching the internet I choose myself where windows 10 gives you a choice. So I choose the 2nd one hd something or other, instead of realtech. This give the enhancement options or something very similar.
I also use Sonic studio, I did have the smart volume set to extreme, what I did notice with this is that sounds changed a lot during the game to an extent that foot steps sometime sound like they are right beside me, when they weren't. And yes I have been shot by some guy walking very close to me, when he sounded much further away.
Needless to say I have to tweak around with these sounds and maybe not use Sonic studio just to see if the windows driver is giving me the extra volume. Also I will tried the suggested soft settings from a post here from someone that sounds like they know what they're talking about. I do like the abundance of settings in Sonic and perhaps I should real the manual 😉 I will repost any updates here.
Also wondering does anyone know if you need to use realtek driver to utilize the supremefx 3 feature of mobo? Or is that what Sonic studio is doing?