cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[SOLVED] Motherboard POST issue - Help needed

SpectralAngel
Level 7
Last night after a light gaming session I decided to clean the dust off my CPU's heatsink fan. After reattaching it and plugging it back the crosshair came out with the a solid and constant red light from the DRAM LED. I tried to force boot it with the MemOk! button and it just made the red led to stop being solid and flashing instead.

I had no audio feedback because my case lacks a buzzer (will take an spare one from my job). I found a thread about a similar problem that suggested to take out all the components and the CMOS battery. I only took the battery out since it was very late and I needed to go to sleep. The post mentioned useating CPU (my combination of Frio cooler and Armor+ makes it a very long process) and testing RAM sticks one by one on each of the RAM ports until it can boot again.

I let the crosshair unplugged from power and with the battery out since last night and will do more testing during the night when I get back from work.

Does anyone has another suggestions? I have a lot of time for research on my job atm so i could take more advices to try at my home where I only got a smartphone to keep visiting the forums.

I hope it can be fixed without the need for RMA because I live in Central America and bought it from the USA, so doing the RMA will add a lot of cost to an imported motherboard that costed me like $320 after customs and shipping to my country.
Mobo: Crosshair Formula V, CPU: AMD FX-8120@4.0GHz, GPU: ATI Radeon HD5850 Stock, HD: Samsung 830 SSD 128GB, Heatsink: Thermaltake Frio, Case: Thermaltake Armor+
27 REPLIES 27

chrsplmr
Level 18
It sounds to me.. like you bumped the ram... did you try reseating the ram first??

I think at this point..yes it is a do over??
when you took the fan off.. how long had the system been shut down
after gaming..for how long??..was it cool?? was it powered all the way down..
unplugged..and push the power button..to complete the drain??
....no offense...blindly backtracking your steps...from gaming to
red lights...it happens....now..we have to figure out what happened....blind.
hind sight is 20/20...just looking...

i would.
get a speaker/buzzer...for mb feedback
reseat ram... check..will it boot?
list the rest of your hardware.

in the crosshair stickys..find RAJA
read some of those..on cmos jumpers..
and setup..ect..

relax...unless some freak electrical
thing happened... and/or power supply
freakYness....then these boards are almost bullet proof...
post ur hardware...first though.....all suggested with all due respect.c.

Title? Did YOU have 'another' CrossHair that had an issue?

chrsplmr wrote:
It sounds to me.. like you bumped the ram... did you try reseating the ram first??

I think at this point..yes it is a do over??
when you took the fan off.. how long had the system been shut down
after gaming..for how long??..was it cool?? was it powered all the way down..
unplugged..and push the power button..to complete the drain??
....no offense...blindly backtracking your steps...from gaming to
red lights...it happens....now..we have to figure out what happened....blind.
hind sight is 20/20...just looking...

i would.
get a speaker/buzzer...for mb feedback
reseat ram... check..will it boot?
list the rest of your hardware.

in the crosshair stickys..find RAJA
read some of those..on cmos jumpers..
and setup..ect..

relax...unless some freak electrical
thing happened... and/or power supply
freakYness....then these boards are almost bullet proof...
post ur hardware...first though.....all suggested with all due respect.c.

Title? Did YOU have 'another' CrossHair that had an issue?

About the title, well I had a mobo before the ROG trademark started, the M2N32-SLI Deluxe, it suffered a terrible 8 months after using it, however I could not take it to RMA for the lack of money, and because later I learnt it was nVidia's fault for the bumpgate fiasco on the MCP55 and G8x family, I had two 8600GT that where on SLI on that platform, they overstressed the MCP and killed the mobo.

I did not buy another Asus product until it was clear it was nVidia's fault. So far I have liked the crosshair so much, with all the tweaking stuff, six months without any problem until this.
Mobo: Crosshair Formula V, CPU: AMD FX-8120@4.0GHz, GPU: ATI Radeon HD5850 Stock, HD: Samsung 830 SSD 128GB, Heatsink: Thermaltake Frio, Case: Thermaltake Armor+

NemesisChild
Level 12
Please list your system components, it wil help us troubleshoot your problem.
Leaving the battery out overnight should completely clear the CMOS.
Make sure that the CPU and each stick of memory is fully seated.
Try posting with just one stick of memory in the slot furthest away from the CPU.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

SpectralAngel
Level 7
Ok, my full PC components are these:

The Crosshair V Formula obviously,
8GB Corsair Vengance (2x Kit 2x2GB) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145343&Tpk=CMZ4GX3M2A1600C9
Phenom II X2 555 4 cores unlocked @3.8GHz on stock voltage
XFX Radeon HD5850 ZAFC http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150477
Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB boot drive
Samsung F1 1TB
OCZ ModXStream 700W PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341018
Thermaltake Frio Cooler
Thermaltake Armor+

The last two are the reason I did not go any further on dissasembling my PC, it just takes a lot of effort to take them apart.

chrsplmr
Level 18
lets see if we can get this one back to ROG'n...for ya..
when u get back.. go over everything again...
power plugs...RAM especially.. and see what flys..
it was running fine.....i would not jump to...clear cmos...and all that first..
one step at a time....no worries.
can you borrow a different power supply ??? to try???
power supplies can lead to some weirdness..that will drive ya nuts...
look at me...hahahaha

as to the title... i wasnt taking a shot at you.. just making a point..
I saw the other day that 22,000,000 asus motherboards were sold last year.
If things were as the Bashers suggest... where are they ??? not here ?? or we would help'm.
I was taking a shot at Asus Bashers--the numbers are on our side...hahaha
its all good brother....lets ROG.c.

SpectralAngel
Level 7
Yeah, I need to get back at ROG'n fast, my weekly dose of Skyrim is still not filled, I had worked too much this week. Actually i remembered that PC is my main Web Development Environment, so I need to get it fixed ASAP XD.

Thanks brother!

HiVizMan
Level 40
Title has been changed to reflect a more accurate content requirement.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

trailer_park_bo
Level 7
i had a problem sort of like that,after i did all the other checks and cleared cmos it turned out i had to reseat my cpu

trailer park boy wrote:
i had a problem sort of like that,after i did all the other checks and cleared cmos it turned out i had to reseat my cpu

That is indeed very good advice thank you.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.