cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to setup 2 Nvme samsung m.2 ssds on the riser card in raid 0 for the R6E NOT VROC

FIDDY56
Level 7
I have come across many youtube vids and articles showing how to setup two m.2 ssds in raid 0 for the z270 mobo but nothing for the rampage 6 extreme or apex. I don't care to try and deal with the huge debate about VROC. I just want to setup In the bios using PCH/SATA a raid 0 for the two Samsung 1tb m.2 ssds that are mounted on the riser card and in the dim.2 slot next to the ram dims. all I am trying to do is have windows recongnize the 2 m.2 cards as one bootable drive. and put windows 10 64bit on it. I have the irst drivers from intel and have tried the tuning wizard and manual but all the go bys from asus only show older bios from z270 boards.
this guide shows options in the bios for the z270 bios that are not in the bios 1004 for the r6e. https://rog.asus.com/articles/guides/how-to-install-two-m2-ssds-in-raid-0-on-maximus-ix-motherboards...
Could anyone please tell me step by step what to go into in advance mode in the bios how to setup raid 0 using pch/sata I keep getting told it can be done and it supposedly is easy to setup but I am a newbie and just cant figure it out.
I have more than enough pcie lanes to do this with chipset and i7 7820x. links to setup for x299 asus rampage 6 extreme bios steps for setting 2 Samsung 1tb m.2 ssds in raid 0 using sata, pch, would be great if has step by step , or if someone could post a guide would be extremely helpful. thank you for any help.
15 REPLIES 15

G75rog
Level 10
The guide is in your user manual.

Skunkfoo
Level 7
FIDDY56 wrote:
I have come across many youtube vids and articles showing how to setup two m.2 ssds in raid 0 for the z270 mobo but nothing for the rampage 6 extreme or apex. I don't care to try and deal with the huge debate about VROC. I just want to setup In the bios using PCH/SATA a raid 0 for the two Samsung 1tb m.2 ssds that are mounted on the riser card and in the dim.2 slot next to the ram dims. all I am trying to do is have windows recongnize the 2 m.2 cards as one bootable drive. and put windows 10 64bit on it. I have the irst drivers from intel and have tried the tuning wizard and manual but all the go bys from asus only show older bios from z270 boards.
this guide shows options in the bios for the z270 bios that are not in the bios 1004 for the r6e. https://rog.asus.com/articles/guides/how-to-install-two-m2-ssds-in-raid-0-on-maximus-ix-motherboards...
Could anyone please tell me step by step what to go into in advance mode in the bios how to setup raid 0 using pch/sata I keep getting told it can be done and it supposedly is easy to setup but I am a newbie and just cant figure it out.
I have more than enough pcie lanes to do this with chipset and i7 7820x. links to setup for x299 asus rampage 6 extreme bios steps for setting 2 Samsung 1tb m.2 ssds in raid 0 using sata, pch, would be great if has step by step , or if someone could post a guide would be extremely helpful. thank you for any help.

I've tried but bootable RAID 0 on DIMM.2_1 + DIMM.2_2 is not possible.

However bootable RAID 0 is possible with 1 drive under the armor (on the mobo) and one on DIMM.2 (slot closer to RAM) Set to PCH and disable all the settings in the DIMM.2 options

JustinThyme
Level 13
This is a configuration I never tried but Im pretty sure Skunk is right on this one. I did a VROC raid0 on the two drives on DIMM.2 with it set to CPU and using IRSTe in Trial mode. When the trial mode goes away so does VROC support for 3rd party drives.

The DIMM.2 closest to the the ram is DIMM.2_1 for future reference. Skunk is not the first to report this.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Agreed, only way is connect one on M.2_1 and the other one on M2 port under cover, that's my current setup.

fexnok wrote:
Agreed, only way is connect one on M.2_1 and the other one on M2 port under cover, that's my current setup.

I finally started googling solutions today and found this thread. I now have one M2 under the armor and the other in DIMM.2_1 but when I try to set up the raid using EZ Tuning, the only place a drive shows up is in SATA, and only one drive shows up.

I have CSM Off, CPU Storage set to Hyper M.2 x16 (data) and Onboard devices/ m.2_1 DIMM source on From PCH.

What am I doing wrong, or why don't I see the 2nd drive?

Thanks!

First, take off the cover for the M.2 compartment by removing the screw.This compartment hold M.2 Socket ,insert the M.2 into place. Secure the second M.2 place onto DIMM.2 Module left side. Go to Advanced->PCH Storage Configuration->SATA Mode Selection, and select Intel RST Premium(RAID).Go to Advanced->Onboard Devices configuration. Select M,2_1(DIMM.2) source selection set to PCH. Go to Save and Exit save and reboot.Go back to see if your new RAID volume is showing up in Advanced-> Intel(R) rapid storage technology and then Create RAID Volume. Create a Windows 10 USB Bootable Flash Drive Media Creation Tool. Download and copy Driver Intel(R) RST AHCI/RAID Driver V15.7.1.1015 for Windows 10 64-bit onto another USB drive.

mike211 wrote:
First, take off the cover for the M.2 compartment by removing the screw.This compartment hold M.2 Socket ,insert the M.2 into place. Secure the second M.2 place onto DIMM.2 Module left side. Go to Advanced->PCH Storage Configuration->SATA Mode Selection, and select Intel RST Premium(RAID).Go to Advanced->Onboard Devices configuration. Select M,2_1(DIMM.2) source selection set to PCH. Go to Save and Exit save and reboot.Go back to see if your new RAID volume is showing up in Advanced-> Intel(R) rapid storage technology and then Create RAID Volume. Create a Windows 10 USB Bootable Flash Drive Media Creation Tool. Download and copy Driver Intel(R) RST AHCI/RAID Driver V15.7.1.1015 for Windows 10 64-bit onto another USB drive.

Thank you - all this is how I set it the first couple times but here's a complete rundown of my current settings:
Advanced->PCH Storage Configuration->SATA Mode Selection-> Intel RST Premium(RAID)
Advanced->Onboard Devices configuration-> M,2_1(DIMM.2) source selection set to PCH
Advanced->Onboard Devices configuration->PCIEX8_4 bandwidth configuration set to Auto
Advanced->CPU Storage Configuration all set to Disabled
Boot-> CSM either untouched from defaults or disabled makes no change to the below.

Then when I go to Advanced-> Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology only 1 Physical Disk shows up under "Non-Raid Physical Disks"

The one disk that is there reports it in port 0.0, controller type AHCI, Controller Interface SATA

When I go to EZ Tuning Wizard to set up a SATA raid interestingly it reports the only disk drive available as being Port 1

One M.2 is under the cover, one is on the left (closest to the RAM). The DIMM.2 drive side has a red light so I'm pretty sure its seated and should be visable, but its not.

EDIT: I just pulled the DIMM.2 and check everything again the above reporting didn't change at all, so EZ reporting port1 and IRST port 0 are both only seeing the one M.2 under the plate. I then tried both M.2 drives on the DIMM.2 again, and it doesn't see either. Do I just have a bad DIMM.2 card? Could I be missing something else that makes the drives visible in the BIOS 1102 on the DIMM.2 card?

Go to Advanced->PCH Storage Configuration->Now Enable PCIe Storage RAID support for both M.2_1 and PCIEX4_1/PCH M.2_1(DIMM.2) PCIE Storage Raid Support

mike211 wrote:
Go to Advanced->PCH Storage Configuration->Now Enable PCIe Storage RAID support for both M.2_1 and PCIEX4_1/PCH M.2_1(DIMM.2) PCIE Storage Raid Support

There's no choice for that I can see - only the following.

SATA Controller - Enabled
SATA mode Selection - IRST Premium (Raid)
SMART Check Status - On
Aggressive LPM Support - Disabled
SATA6G_1 Empty
SATA6G_2 - my DVD Writer
SATA6G_3-6 all empty.

That's the end of the list.