Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by xeromist View Post
    They may re-image/restore your machine to factory defaults as a troubleshooting option anytime you send your machine in. They won't do it if it's not needed but generally I would recommend saving your files elsewhere just in case.
    I did, in fact I swapped the HDD with a new empty HDD (just bought it yesterday).
    I store the old HDD in my cabinet. Here's hoping it's still operational...(currently I have no means to check my old HDD's state)

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    Memory (part number)16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 1080 Strix
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade

OK, then you're good. But yes, if they don't have to image the drive then you won't have to re-download your games.
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

< < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!

ROG Enthusiast Array

I have an update for my issue. A bad news.
    So, I went to asus service center (in Singapore) this morning.
    After checking the model of my laptop, the guy said:
    Asus no longer produce component for G75VW. It's a 5 years old model. Asus stop supporting a model after 4 years.
    He also said that it's likely the mobo, but he won't be able to test (becuase he got no spare part to test).
    The last hint from him is to go for 3rd party.

I guess I cannot rely on service center anymore... I have to do it myself now...

So, could anyone give me a lead?
    How can I replace the mobo?
    Can I re-use the cpu & gpu?
    It looks like the gpu is not soldered to the board (after googling), but how about the cpu?

I found 1 site that happens to sell a mobo for G75vw DS71 (http://www.laptopinventory.com/Model...20System/48817).
    Is it legit?
    Anyone know where I can get the gpu (gtx 660m)? I am also planning to replace it as well... (while I'm at it)

Again, thanks a lot...

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array Dreamonic's Avatar

Not sure how I missed this thread.

Yes, the G75 models can be upgraded to the following: Link

What is weird is that behavior of your system after the screen replacement closely compares to a corrupted BIOS scenario. Have you tried the JRST2001 shunt near the SO-DIMM slots yet? This will act as an RTC_CLR command, as it performs multiple power cycles (NVRAM configuration tables reset). There is also the BIOS recovery key commands, but I'm going to assume that they won't work if you have no ability to input key commands as nothing is registering properly.

I've seen this model do some strange things in the past. And what you described sure looks to me like a bricked notebook due to a sudden system shutdown. It very well could be that the MB kicked the bucket but I'm doubting it. So depending how far you want to go with this, you could read the SOIC with a hardware programmer (order one online if you don't have one) and if you want, send it to me once you dump it for verification on my suspicion of it being corrupted. If it's found to be, I can repair the corrupted BIOS for you and send it back to be flashed back and see if that recovers your system first before spending money on another MB.

Some food for thought as I've messed with the G75 models a lot. And I do mean a lot!

ROG Enthusiast Array

Hey thanks for the very detailed info Dreamonic!
    I've got my hopes up again just by reading your guide!

Currently I'm in desperate need to get any form of computing (and I need it before mid of next month). Ideally, I want to revive my laptop and I'm prepared to spend ~$700 to do that.
    After reading your article, I found out that I can even upgrade it (especially the CPU). So I wouldn't mind to spend even a bit more.

The problem is just to get my hands on a brand new component. I've already contacted the online shop I posted before (http://www.laptopinventory.com). But they asked me back the parts number for the component.

Do you have the specific part number for the motherboard and the gpu (gtx 660m) for G75VW DS71?
    Or even the cpu as well (maybe the i7-3940XM)?

The firmware/BIOS fix might be too much for me right now. I'm planning to do that after I get the laptop back running (so I can have a backup mobo if I can salvage it).

Again, thanks in advance man! I owe you one.

ROG Enthusiast Array

It's been a while since my last desperate post. I just want to post here in case somebody encounter the same problem.

So, my G75VW worked after I replaced the GPU.
    I found an exact same case (with happy ending) in this thread :
    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...ent-didn-t-fix

So here are my details:
    First, I bought a replacement GTX660M from eBay. I also prepared some isopropyl-alcohol & thermal-paste to repaste everything.
    I referred to some youtube videos to help me disassemble the laptop. At this point, I realized that some cables were very easy to disconnect (a bit loose?). I'm not sure if this also contributed to my issue. But I did some clean-up anyway.
    Once I got into the mobo, I cleaned the old thermal-paste from both the GPU & CPU and both heat-sinks (using the isopropyl). Then re-paste them (I re-pasted the other small components on the GPU that was covered with TIM as well).
    I put the new GPU into the mobo and reattach all the cable temporarily.
    And then the moment of truth. I powered it up, and I can see the ROG symbol on screen! (no faulty vertical lines too!)
    So, I re-assembled everything back.

So far I've tested it lightly (no gaming yet) for 2*24 hours non-stop. The GPU temperature seems to be stable at 38c at idle.
    I managed to play FTL for a bit before I had to fly out of town.

So that's it.
    I hope my G75VW can stay with me for another 2 years or more...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2