cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC crashing when put into Sleep

MrAirj
Level 7
Hello,

Sometimes when I put the computer to sleep it crashes instead. I think I read somewhere that big updates require tweaking the overclock. I did notice the issues are happening more frequently since the big update on W10 in November I think it was.

Running W10 V 1703
Fast boot is turned OFF.

Overclock settings:
i7 6800k 4.2ghz 1.30v
Gskillz Tridentz 3200 4x8gb kit - Could not get this kit to run at 3200 even with 1.40v with or without XMP enabled. Left it at base settings/speed.
Gtx 1080 strix
Strix X99 Bios 1701

CPUcache 35
CPUcacheV 1.25
VSAA 1.10
VCCIO 1.05
6 REPLIES 6

Chino
Level 15
An unstable overclock can prevent your computer from going to or coming back from sleep properly. The quickest way to check is clear your CMOS to put your system back to stock defaults. If the problem doesn't occur, then it's your overclock. 🙂

Chino wrote:
An unstable overclock can prevent your computer from going to or coming back from sleep properly. The quickest way to check is clear your CMOS to put your system back to stock defaults. If the problem doesn't occur, then it's your overclock. 🙂

I will do that. If it's in fact the overclock, do you know what would need to be adjusted? How to go about fixing the issue?

Nate152
Hi MrAirJ

I'd try what Chino suggests, resetting to defaults and then test sleep.

You may be able to get your ram to 3200MHz by setting it manually, the vccsa and vccio voltages will likely need to be raised for stability.

Set the AI Overclock Tuner to Manual and set your ram manually, (Dram Frequency, Dram Voltage and Primary Timings) then set vccio and vccsa voltage to 1.15v, if it doesn't boot try both at 1.20v, then both at 1.25v, then both up to 1.30v if needed.

When you get your ram stable then overclock your cpu.

Good luck we'll be waiting for an update. 🙂

PerpetualCycle
Level 13
I have had trouble with recent Nvidia graphics drivers causing crashes like this. Have you recently upgraded the drivers?

ROG Hero XIII | 10900k @5.2 GHz | g.skill 2x32GB 4200 CL18 | ROG Strix 2070S | EK Nucleus 360 Dark | 6TB SSD/nvme, 16TB external HDD | 2x 1440p | Vanatoo speakers with Klipsch sub | Fractal Meshify 2 case

MrAirj
Level 7
Hi All,
Thanks for replying. As Geneo suggested I updated the drivers and the problem seems to be resolved. Hopefully, it stays that way!

MrAirj
Level 7
Well wasn't let off the hook that easily. It crashed again.
It's weird I can tell when it's going to crash because when I hit sleep, 2 of 3 monitors shut off but 1 stays lit. Also, my mouse and keyboard LED's stay lit. It takes about 20 seconds after I select sleep, then shuts off completely. However, when it does go to sleep the monitor and LED's on my mouse/kb turn off almost immediately after I select sleep.

Looks like I will have to dig into what Chino and Nate152 suggested soon.