cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router Upgrade?

SuperGriffinz
Level 7
Should I get the new Republic of Gamers Rapture GT-AC5300 or keep with my Netgear Nighthawk AC-1900 Dual Band WiFi router. The router has 256 MB of RAM and its the family router. While I have my own personal router with the Ethernet cable hook up to my computer. The family has less lag with this router but we have 2 PS4's, 2 Xbox One's, 2 Laptops, 5 Phones and etc. We still have lag once and a while. but does any body think that it would little to no lag with the Rapture?
7 REPLIES 7

JustinThyme
Level 13
The router isn’t the only part of the equation. Who is your ISP and what kind of ping times are you getting?*
Run Speedtest on Ocala website. If you have cable internet unfortunately what your neighbors are doing can cause issues as it a shared line back to The headend and it doesn’t matter what tier you have.

This is probably one of the best things about having fiber all the way to the house. You have your own channel all the way back to the headend. *

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Sprayingmango
Level 10
Considering that ASUS has End Of Lifed the GT-AC5300 I would say do NOT buy any ASUS Router. I bought one and they have not released a firmware update for it since August 28th, which is an absolute joke. The KRACK fix has not been rolled out and they don't seem to care at all about updating the router. I regret blowing $450 on it.

I would say get something from Synology or even Netgear....from a company that gives a **** about it's customers and actually updates things.

Sprayingmango wrote:
Considering that ASUS has End Of Lifed the GT-AC5300 I would say do NOT buy any ASUS Router. I bought one and they have not released a firmware update for it since August 28th, which is an absolute joke. The KRACK fix has not been rolled out and they don't seem to care at all about updating the router. I regret blowing $450 on it.

I would say get something from Synology or even Netgear....from a company that gives a **** about it's customers and actually updates things.

WOW, Tell us how you really feel.....Dont hold back!
Where did you see an EOL notice? This is the latest version over the older AC5300 that pretty much only has more flash memory and more ram. Last firmware update was about 4 months ago. Not releasing firmware repeatedly is actually a good thing. Its only done to address known issues that can be repeated. As for any KRACK fix if you havent noticed ASUS has a lot of products that they are currently working on vulerabliltiy issues. They are rolling out, some are fixed others are still in the pipeline. I ran the previous Version AC5300 with no worries since it first hit the shelves unitl recently when I went with a 10GBe network and needed a routed with a SFP+ port to connect to my 10GBe switch and bought a Netgear X10 that is nowhere near as customisable as the ASUS routers. The UI and settings are very basic and the Qos is a joke and slows down everything. It doesnt even have a decent parental control where you can pick a device and set hours for it. Take the settings on the ASUS AC5300, remove about 80% of it and there you have the Netgear flagship. If ASUS had a router with SFP+ thats the route I would have taken. FWIW the Netgear flagship just updated its firmware for the first time to address vulnerabilites TODAY!! This is the first update since it was launched in March. AC5300 GT has released two updates with another pending.

Synology routers are simple and to the point, same hardware as a Netgear.

I am very interest in this EOL notice though, can you please post a link to it?

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Come on Asus! This is SHAME ON YOU. Haven't updated two of most expensive routers!? REALLY! How long do we need to wait??? I have GT-RT5300 by the way with a lots of bugs!

namoi
Level 8
Don't know if this particular model has Merlin WRT but i am pretty happy with my ac68u which is supported. Constant updates and more features.

If this one have it (just check Merlin site) and if the design is what you want to pay for...

Edit:
Just checked for you.
No support (too much customized) and no plan to add it so i would highly suggest another one.

danoz0r
Level 8
I went from RT-AC5300 to GT-AC5300. Big mistake...
Had 2 GT-AC5300 both with defect 5ghz bands. Hoping a new firmware will fix it. Whenever it does come out.
How the router is now i won't recommend anyone to buy it, too flawed.

danoz0r wrote:
I went from RT-AC5300 to GT-AC5300. Big mistake...
Had 2 GT-AC5300 both with defect 5ghz bands. Hoping a new firmware will fix it. Whenever it does come out.
How the router is now i won't recommend anyone to buy it, too flawed.

I made same mistake my friend...