cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NVME x2 + SLI

Adron82
Level 7
Question,

On the Maximus X, if I use both NVMe drive slots and SLI 2x 1080ti's, will i see things like reduction in perfomance because of the number of PCIe channels being used?

AN 8700k has 16 channels (2x8 on the GPUs maxes that out) are the NVMe drives using chipset PCI or the CPU's channels... I'm a little confused on this point.

I noticed, on some games, the first time I view a texture I can have extreme drops in FPS, but afterward it never happens again - as if the NVMe drive is interfering with processing when it tries to load data? i.e. On a Battlefront II map, i have massive FPS drops every time I enter a new room the first time, but then, the rest of the day, I can play that map over and over and don't have that issue....
4 REPLIES 4

JustinThyme
Level 13
Your M2 drives will be running on the PCH via DMI link and won’t effect the X16 PCIE. You get X16 on the PCIE that can be one X16 or two X8.*
This is of course assuming you are not using a PCIe M2 card.
Google Z370 architecture and click on the images tab. There you can see what’s going where although none of them show the M2s. Just be mindful that on most chipsets at least one of the M2 slots shares bandwidth with SATA connections so you want to make sure that which ever SATA connection is shared is left unpopulated. Some boards will automatically disable the sata shares ports once the M2 is populated. *

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

I'm using 2x PCIe card I think:

Samsung 960 PRO Series - PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD 1x 512GB and 1x 1TB

Both are on the M2 specific ports, 1 above the first PCIe and one below

JustinThyme
Level 13
Above the first PCIE?

If you have them in PCIE slots instead of MOBO headers you can pretty much count on at least one of your cards getting getting shut down as you are already at X8 and smacking that back it wont run at all on X4. Can you please post pics or a diagram or something with a level of surity. This will better serve in good advice instead of taking pokes on partial information.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

They are in the M.2 Slots. One above the primary PCIe and one below69798