cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VII Ranger | PC won't start, Q Code 76, NO POST

Flexy
Level 7
Hello. I've got my PC a few days ago, it was sent to me from Europe where I used it without any issues for ~2 years. So I built it up 3-4 days ago and it was working perfectly. I needed to move it, so I shut it down, unplugged it, moved it, plugged it back (to the same cord, same power cable), but it didn't start. To be more specific, it didn't get to the BIOS "phase". The motherboard lit up, fans were working, I heard HDD starting (no beep tho), but the motherboard was displaying Q Code 76, no post. After few restarts, I shut it down, unplugged and plugged back the EATX cable and it booted up without any issues! However, after several hours of working on the computer, I had to move it again (cuz of the recent "inspection"), so I shut it down, unplugged everything, plugged it back in (still the same cord&cable) and it happened again. But this time, reconnecting EATX cable didn't help. To be even more specific, the startup process looks like: Start -> Q Code 00 -> Q Code 14 & CPU_LED lights up (bright red) -> Q Code 76, no post. And that was it. After a few hours of trying and rebuilding it from a scratch, I somehow made it work again! I restarted it several times and it was working perfectly. So I was working on the computer for about 10 hours, then I went to lay down, I shut it down, but my curiosity got me and I tried starting it and boom, it happened again. The same issue. I tried: Reconnecting everything, CMOS clearing, pulling CMOS out ( for about 20 seconds ) , unmounting the fan to check the CPU, rebuilding it, resetting BIOS.
I tried starting with just few parts to see how it will react.
CPU + FAN (24 PIN + EATX [4+4]) -> Same results (Q Code 76)
CPU + FAN + RAM Sticks (Tried both, just one stick and then both of them) -> Same results -||-
I tried both outside the case/inside the case. Unfortunately, I don't have any spare parts to test it. I've done all the outside-of-the-case tests on a cardboard box. All the standoffs are installed. I also taped some parts of my case with an electrical tape to make sure there is no direct contact of my motherboard with the case (you can see it in one of the pictures from a Dropbox folder I shared down below).
When I inspected the CPU, it looked fine, no spilled thermal paste or anything. I forgot to say that the CPU wasn't even removed from the motherboard when it was sent to me. It was safely covered, perfectIy cleaned from the thermal paste. I can tell for sure that every part was safely and professionally wrapped/covered, nothing was damaged. In Europe the voltage is 220V 50Hz I think? However, my PSU should work perfectly with American voltage which is 110V 60Hz I think? Do you guys have any ideas on finding the issue/fixing it? Please note that it worked for 24+ hours in total. I tried multiple things from different posts on the web. I greatly appreciate every response.
I'll list my components down below along with some photos and a video.
Thank you. Have a nice day.
Dropbox folder w/ some photos and a video:
HERE.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k
GPU: MSI GTX 780 Ti
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB (8+8) 1866Mhz DDR3 Black
FAN: Cooler Master V8 GTS
MOBO: ASUS MAXIMUS VII RANGER
PSU: Cooler Master M2 Silent Pro 1000w
I don't think that listing my HDDs, SSD, DD, .. will help, as it didn't start with just CPU+FAN. Thanks one more time.
5 REPLIES 5

lexxie
Level 7
I have the exact same thing. driving me nuts

ONly other hardware,

Intel i7 4790k
GPU: Readeon R9

Psu is the same

Puffnstuff
Level 10
When you say shutdown are you completely removing power from the system? If so try replacing the cmos battery and see if the behavior continues.
Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master, AMD 3900X, EVGA 360 aio, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z Neo, Samsung 970 Pro NVME 512gb, WD Black NVME 1 TB, Crucial MX500 2tb, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP!, EVGA Nu Audio, CM HAF 932

Well nothing works. whats sugested to do. cmos clear updatet bios . out and in the case piece by piece all no go thats the problem all it gives is code 76 red cpu light. so i am at a total loss.

extreme
Level 7
take cpu out and check if any socket pins are bent... seems its the board. take the MB to local pc shop to test

no bend pins. took it to the shop they say MB defect. did not say what part of it