cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ram speed and stability testing "tools"

jbasemoine
Level 9
Hi there,

I would like to know if anyone can help me (perhaps explain :P) how i can properly check my ram stability and ram speed to make sure my ram is working properly and well.
Please note that i know little about ram overclocking, or anything (i kinda only know the basics about ram).
Which tools could/should i use and what do i need to look at ? also what kinda results match my ram/speed/timings etc...
I thank you in advance!!!!
3 REPLIES 3

Sigtran
Level 10
Best seems to be HCI Memtest Pro, however, I think for beginner, MemTest64 is more user friendly...
https://www.techpowerup.com/memtest64/

Please let us know RAM model so we can give some suggestions.

Sigtran wrote:
Best seems to be HCI Memtest Pro, however, I think for beginner, MemTest64 is more user friendly...
https://www.techpowerup.com/memtest64/

Please let us know RAM model so we can give some suggestions.

Sorry forgot to mention which ram i have 😛

G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3600mhz (F4-3600C16D-16GTZR) with CL 16-16-16-36
2x8 gb (16gb total)

jbasemoine wrote:
Sorry forgot to mention which ram i have 😛

G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3600mhz (F4-3600C16D-16GTZR) with CL 16-16-16-36
2x8 gb (16gb total)

That is good, Samsung b-die single-rank. Not sure what board and BIOS version you have, but if C6H, make sure you are on at least 1403 or later (so AGESA 1006 or later) before playing with memory OC. Suggested is latest 3008 BIOS for best memory compatibility.

As regards to how to proceed, I would suggest trying 3200MHz first and make sure it works stable, later maybe you can try 3333 or even 3466MHz, but better go slowly, one step at the time. 3600 is very unlikely to be achieved (and in reality 3600CL16 with loose subtimings is at best same, but usually slower then 3466CL14 with fast subtimings), so please don't keep your hopes high for 3600, as this is usually just to much for Ryzen for "every day setup", i.e. normal voltages and air cooling.

As regards of timings, I would suggest 14-14-14-34, this is proven to work stable on 3200MHz on RAM like yours on standard 1.35V. Also, make sure that SoC voltage is set to at least 1.1V, otherwise high memory frequency cannot be achieved.

Basically, in BIOS under Extreme Tweaker section you can try to directy set memory frequency in BIOS to 3200MHz, and just doublecheck if BIOS set correctly memory and SoC voltages and restart (F10). I should work and boot... Then test it at bit, first with memory tester or Prime95 blend test (few hours is enough), and if OK, then try 3333MHz. It should also work with same 1.35V. For 3466 you will probably have to set 1.40V for memory voltage and 1.15V for SoC voltage to maintan the full stability. All this with 14-14-14-34 timings... Later you can try further tweaking subtimings to further improve performance -> on this page & thread you can find optimized timings, incl mine as I also have a samsung-b-die, and this is probably as good as one can hope for: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?91831-Crosshair-VI-DRAM-overclocking-data/page10