cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are my temps too low?? [Threadripper 1950x - BIOS 901 beta]

eco_bach
Level 7
I have a strange problem. So ventured into the world of OC with a simple 3 step as suggested in the guru3d Threadripper review. Running 901 beta BIOS.

1. Enable 4000MHz
Extreme Tweaker> CPU Core Ratio

2. Apply 1.35V to the CPU
CPU Core Voltage > Manual Mode, Override to 1.35

I rebooted with ONLY these 2 steps and saw modest performance boost with Cinebench scoring 3095.
My idle temp was 30 and reached a peak temp of 59C during Cinebench test.

Then rebooted into BIOS and added simple memory tweaks (Step3 from guru3d article)
Actually the guru3d article suggests enabling XMP but couldn't find in BIOS so did the following 3 changes
I am running a Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 8x8GB kit and was previously only getting 2133MHz.

Ai Overclock Tuner > D.O.C.P.
D.O.C.P > DOCP DDR4 2667 15-17-17-35
Memory Frequency > DDR4 2666MHz

Saved, exited and rebooted again into Windows.

Here is the surprising part. My temperatures are too low! (see attached)
Before at idle I was seeing 30C average idle now am getting only 7C average!

And when I bench I score about the same but only hit a peak of 30C!!
Also confirmed the temps running MSI Afterburner and as well I can hardly hear my fans as they don't ramp up at all.

Here is the link to my CPU-Z profile
https://valid.x86.fr/xpwbia

Can any OC experts explain what is happening?

Less important I am wondering why there is a discrepancy in CPU-Z memory info between the app and the posted info in the uploaded profile(attached 2nd pic)

2 REPLIES 2

eco_bach
Level 7
OP
Was getting identical idle temps in HWinfo in BIOS.
So reverted back to BIOS 804, same issue.
Loaded defaults, same issue.

Finally cleared CMOS using button on back panel and it seems I am back to normal!

Have no idea how this occurred but will stick with BIOS 804 for now.
My main motivation in trying ther latest beta BIOS is to see if the fanxpert issues have been fully resolved.
Seems quite flaky to me right now, especially in manual mode.

eco_bach wrote:
OP
Was getting identical idle temps in HWinfo in BIOS.
So reverted back to BIOS 804, same issue.
Loaded defaults, same issue.

Finally cleared CMOS using button on back panel and it seems I am back to normal!

Have no idea how this occurred but will stick with BIOS 804 for now.
My main motivation in trying ther latest beta BIOS is to see if the fanxpert issues have been fully resolved.
Seems quite flaky to me right now, especially in manual mode.

Wow Thanks a lot you have saved me a lot of headaches, I have been having the same exact issue with impossibly low cpu temps after pretty much doing the same things with slightly different Ram (Skill) and some point my bios start showing incorrect temperatures I have tried bunch of things but clearing the CMOS with the button did the trick. Thanks .*