cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rog Crosshair Vi not getting past Post

namd3
Level 7
Hey Guys,

So, was playing a game then the system hardlocks, I reset the the PC, and the Bios screen appears, but the bios display was corrupted, i reset it again.

This time it is stuck in post repeating the following Q-codes,

35, 02 , d3 , ad

Video link of it happening
https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=fdK_YVBZFYA

I have tried clearing the CMOS and its made no difference.

I have also tried the USB stick method, the blue button flashes for a second or to and stays on.

So is this RMA time?

Help very much appreciated
7 REPLIES 7

techbird
Level 8
I could not access your video, but it sounds like what happened to me.

I was running an 1800X on 1401 bios OCed to 4.18 GH with 2 sticks of 3200 MHz hynix A-Die memory with no real problems except it would restart every 3-4 days for no reason. It ran this way from the time 1401 was posted on ASUS's website until 3 weeks ago, and then it would hardly ever make it through a post.

Once in a while it would make it into Bios and would not report the correct amount of memory or it would say that my Strix rx480 was at native 8X mode without any other pci-e slots in use. And would crash with in 5-10 minutes and I would have to wait some time an hour or more before I could complete a post . CPU temps were never observed over 60 degrees though.

I tried everything. different GPU card, memory, mother board (Prime X370 Pro), Power Supply finally i bit the bullet and tried a different Ryzen CPU (1700 this time). I think it could have been my thermal paste I had used some arctic silver 5. When I went to clean it off it was much more difficult to clean off than it should have been. I put the new CPU, in with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, on my C6H and all was fine after that, even after getting it OCed to 4.0 GHz, on the 1701 Bios.

I have not retried my original 1800X CPU yet with fresh thermal compound, as the I need to get more thermal grizzly. I will say this though It has not experienced any issues since I got it back up except the pci-e slot X4_3 and the X1_1 through x1-3 will not function at all, but they did not work before ether.

I am planning to move to a Threadripper and a Zenith Extreme X399 in about 4 months hopefully with the extra pci-e lanes I can get my pci-e usb 3.0 card working and finally have all the front panel USB ports working.

Try flashbacking the BIOS per instructions here: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/780455-ASUS-Crosshair-VI-Hero-BIOS-Brick

You probably have the wrong filename or inserted the stick in the wrong port according to your description.

If you chave Crosshair VI Hero use "c6h.cap" as filename.
If you chave Crosshair VI Extreme use "c6e.cap" as filename.
If you chave Crosshair VI Hero Wifi you must find out the correct filename to use.

If your flashback was successful then after cca. 3 minutes the button light stops flashing and goes off.

Good Luck! :cool:

Remove the CMOS battery and unplug the system from the wall for 5 minutes. Reinsert the battery, then use the "flashback" method to reinstall the bios revision.

I would recommend the most recent beta release with the agesa 1.1.0.0 from Elmor. It is looking quite good.

Hey all.

I am having the same issue on my hero 7 with a 2700x, gskill 3200 b-dies and vega 64. same codes as you all have but the manual does not tell you much. it is very random on when it happens. It can even render the 'safe boot' button useless. I am on the latest BIOS 0804. I also had the iss on the 600 and 700 bios however.

Did you really think it was your CPU?! I hope not :(. Is there a way to tell? HWinfo has occasionally thrown strange numbers at me (eg told me some cores maxxed out at over 6.0ghz) but I assumed it was the software been silly.

Any updates you guys (or ASUS) have on this issue would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Tunza

Mr__Fox
Level 12
In case it helps anyone that is trying to use BIOS Flashback and find it is not working, I struggled with this as well. The documentation is not very clear. It failed every time I tried it.

What I discovered was you have to format the USB stick as FAT (aka FAT16). FAT32 and NTFS will not work. FAT only supports up to 4GB. So, as soon as I found that out, grabbed a 4GB USB 2.0 stick and formatted it as FAT, USB Flashback works every time for me now.
Wraith // EVGA Z690 Dark K|NGP|N | 13900K | RTX 4090 Suprim | 32GB DDR5 Hynix A-DIE @8200 | SuperNOVA 1600 P2 | HC-500A Chiller | MO-RA3 360 || DG-86
Banshee // ROG Z690 Apex | 13900KF | RTX 3090 K|INGP|N | 32GB DDR5 Hynix A-DIE @ 6800 | Corsair RM122x SHIFT | XT-45 NOVA || 5000D Airflow
Half-Breed // Precision 17 7720 | 7920HQ (BGA filth) | Quadro P5000 16GB (MXM) | 32GB DDR4 || Grade A Off-Lease Refurb

mr_fox_rox wrote:
In case it helps anyone that is trying to use BIOS Flashback and find it is not working, I struggled with this as well. The documentation is not very clear. It failed every time I tried it.

What I discovered was you have to format the USB stick as FAT (aka FAT16). FAT32 and NTFS will not work. FAT only supports up to 4GB. So, as soon as I found that out, grabbed a 4GB USB 2.0 stick and formatted it as FAT, USB Flashback works every time for me now.

A FAT32 formatted 64GB USB stick works just fine for me. 😛

dusank wrote:
A FAT32 formatted 64GB USB stick works just fine for me. 😛

Weird. Maybe there is something different with an AMD system than Intel.

BIOS Flashback refuses to read from FAT32 for me. The Flashback button flashes three times and then turns steady blue and the activity light on the USB stick stops working. Nothing happens. I tried 7 different USB sticks as well. Then I stumbled on the information Google searching that said it has to be be FAT (FAT16) and as soon as I formatted it in FAT format Flashback works perfectly.
Wraith // EVGA Z690 Dark K|NGP|N | 13900K | RTX 4090 Suprim | 32GB DDR5 Hynix A-DIE @8200 | SuperNOVA 1600 P2 | HC-500A Chiller | MO-RA3 360 || DG-86
Banshee // ROG Z690 Apex | 13900KF | RTX 3090 K|INGP|N | 32GB DDR5 Hynix A-DIE @ 6800 | Corsair RM122x SHIFT | XT-45 NOVA || 5000D Airflow
Half-Breed // Precision 17 7720 | 7920HQ (BGA filth) | Quadro P5000 16GB (MXM) | 32GB DDR4 || Grade A Off-Lease Refurb