cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

system unstable at 'stock'

trey0204
Level 7
I just spent the better part of 3 weeks trying to diagnose why my new system was unstable (random reboots and crashes during games). I thought it was hardware related and spent weeks troubleshooting.

Just as I was about to begin RMA'ing stuff something inspired me to OC the system and crank up the voltage. I have had no issues since and have run days worth of realbench, prime95, and hci memtest.

I just thought everyone should know this, because the 'default' settings on the board did not work for me. I know this is an enthusiast board, but I have built 5-6 PCs over the years, with similar grade mobos, and this is the first time I haven't had a stable system at stock board settings.

Hopefully this helps someone else out there having this problem.

My settings are are x47 ratio, all cores synced, XMP enabled, 1.25V CPU voltage (adaptive), load lines at .01. I may try to tweak it more in the coming weeks but for now I am just happy to have it stable now for the last 2 days.

hopefully I don't jinx myself by posting this 😛
8 REPLIES 8

Caenyss
Level 7
Hey,

You might've encountered the same problems I had.

This is the thread I started at the time: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?97454-ROG-STRIX-Z370-F-GAMING-Unstable-8600k

The key point being, and I quote:
I found that my mobo, for some reason, sets these 4 voltages I posted on that picture, way too high, completely unnecessary and it actually brought me instability. They are now at VCCIO 1.0v, System Agent 1.05V, PHC Core voltage and standby voltage 1.0V and it has been working perfectly.

Hey trey, where can I find the settings you mentioned? I cant find anything to set the voltage and so on, also not the "load lines" part and x47

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
XMP is not stock, at all. Return to optimised defaults, changing nothing in AI Tweaker and retest.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Hello Silent,

I know that XMP is an overclock. BUT the system was running at default in the beginning, for around one month. I didn't change anything, it started crashing randomly. For no reason. Read the first posts please, it's further explained there. Afterwards I tested a couple of things. For example XMP, which I turned off again, because it didn't help at all. Nothing helped so far. Any ideas?

By the way: I just had a Bluescreen, with the debug code: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Any ideas at that one? I guess it's driver related, but I have no idea how to find the faulty driver there.

EDIT: Damn, totally mixed up the posts. I was talking about that one https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?100012-System-Randomly-Powers-off

Korth
Level 14
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL is caused 90% of the time by driver faults - most often a hardware resource conflict in the Intel RST drivers, sometimes network drivers, rarely USB or other drivers. The other 10% of the time it's caused by unstable overclocks or misconfigured XMP settings. And the other 100% of the time it's caused by Windows.

Try reinstalling the Intel chipset drivers, along with any Intel LAN and whatever else they provide, although you can skip Intel iGPU and HD Audio drivers if you don't use those hardware components.

I'd also look at recent Windows Updates, especially anything which has anything to do with Microsoft implementing Intel microcode fixes. Couldn't tell you which these might be, I don't run WinOS outside a box anymore, lol.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Hey Korth,

Updated the drivers as the random shutdowns started occuring, the only driver I found which was updated yesterday was the Realtek HD Audio one, also updated that one, even so I am very rarely using it. Let's see

Raja
Level 13
Driver IRQL BSODs can also be caused by memory instability.

peepi11
Level 7

Ich habe mit meinem 2 Setup das gleiche Problem. Die Temperaturen passen (CPU 40-60 Grad, GPU 40-73 Grad Celsius) und laut Netzteil werden max. 500-670 Watt gezogen. Mal spiele ich den ganzen Tag ohne Probleme und mal starte der Rechner aus dem nichts neu egal ob ich nur mp3´s höre oder Grad n Ego-Shooter Spiele. Auch mehrere Systemneuinstallationen konnten das nicht beheben. Es scheint auch egal zu sein, ob ich das XMP-Profil den Asus-Standardmodus oder den optimierten Modus verwende, auch mit AL Suite 3 und der 5 Wege-Optimierung besteht das Problem weiterhin. Hab auch schon alle verfügbaren Bios-Versionen ausprobiert. 

Einrichtung 1:

Win 10 64bit

Rog Crosshair VIII-Formel

ROG Strix RTX 3090-O24G-Gaming

Ryzen 9 5900x 12-Core

Gskill Tridenz Royal Elite 32 GB 3600 MHz (1801 MHz XMP Timing 14-14-14-34)

AIO ROG Ryujin 2 360

ROG Thor 850 Watt Netzteil

Aufbau 2:

Win 10 64bit

ROG Strix x570-i-Gaming

Amd Ryzen 7 5700x 8x 3,40 GHz

Gskill Tridenz Neo 16 GB 3600 MHz

TUF RTX 3060-O12G-Gaming

ROG Strix LC 240 AIO

ROG Strix 850 Watt Netzteil

Gibt es den schon eine Lösung oder kann mir einer helfen?