cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Culprit motherboard, CPU (IMC) or RAM

dusank
Level 7
I've set up my RAM: Setting-up-G-Skill-F4-3200C14D-16GTZRX

As I was running AIDA64 System Stability test with my settings for over 10 hours without issues at 3066MHz I thought that I have solved all issues and a BIOS update would make 3200 MHz accessible.

But then I started getting problems with bootability: Bootability-with-G-Skill-F4-3200C14D-16GTZRX-(BUG)

Yesterday I've tried to OC the CPU a bit. I was able to stably run it at 3700 even 3800 MHz for hours (AIDA64 stability/stress test). But then suddenly my PC started rebooting without having made any changes in BIOS. I removed CPU OC settings but it did not help. I realized that now I have stability problems with running memory again. My PC freezes or reboots, sometimes in BIOS sometimes in Windows login screen, sometimes I am able to run AIDA64 stability test for a few minutes before it happens. These problems happen with the same settings that worked before (enabled me to run stably for tens of hours) at all frequencies above 2133MHz!

=> With the same settings at the same frequencies it sometimes does not even boot up, sometimes when it does it freezes and sometimes it works for tens of hours under stress testing. Thus my hardware behaves inconsistently!

What do you think is most likely the culprit - what should I RMA - the motherboard, the CPU (IMC) or the RAM?
21 REPLIES 21

dusank
Level 7
AIDA64 System Stability Test after 1 hour @ 2133MHz: "Warning: Hardware failure detected! Test stopped" :mad:

Easiest to find (and cheapest if you have to buy and cannot just borrow from some friend or shop) and test would probably be a RAM I guess, so try that... find any and test it @2133... if it pass overnight test, then probably is your RAM.

The RAM I have now is already the third kit thus I am quite sceptical. I've returned the previous two since I had issues with them. It is much more probable I think that all these issues have not been caused by the RAM kits but a faulty CPU (IMC) or motherboard.

Furthermore the awkwardness of my situation is that passing tests overnight does not prove anything with this setup. I had long running (10+ hours) stress test sessions with this setup succeed with most frequencies many times. But then suddenly nothing works anymore.

Left the PC running at 2133MHz for a day. Did not make any BIOS settings changes.

Tried 3066MHz, it booted and runs AIDA64 System Stability Test successfully for 12 hours already.

My PC runs nondeterministically - some component is giving it up occassionally but then resurrects again.

Indeed strange. IMO, if it was faulty IMC, it would fail far more often... So my pick is then motherboard.

Actually, there is one more easy thing to try if you haven't already. Change the RAM slots.

Sigtran wrote:
Indeed strange. IMO, if it was faulty IMC, it would fail far more often... So my pick is then motherboard.

Actually, there is one more easy thing to try if you haven't already. Change the RAM slots.

Thanks but I've tried that already also. From what I've read it seems many people have problems with these motherboards which is a pity. I naively thought that by buying the most expensive AM4 board I'll avoid such issues and get good support. Anyone knows an ETA for a new BIOS version?

There is a beta 3101 posted by Elmor, with new AGESA 1.1.0.0 you could try if you don't want to wait for official...

C6H::
http://www.overclock.net/t/1624603/rog-crosshair-vi-overclocking-thread/31760#post_26511070

C6H WiFi and C6H Extreme:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1624603/rog-crosshair-vi-overclocking-thread/31850#post_26512807

I've already googled it yesterday.

But thank you anyway for the links - going to try it ASAP.

With beta 3101 BIOS:

3200MHz did not boot
3066MHz did not boot
2933MHz seems to run stable