Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

Can this be a video card beginning to self destruct

I'm using an ASUS Rogue G750JW and now is just about 50 months old. Here's what I've noticed in the last week or so. In any Webpage, I notice only once in a while, a kind of "jumping up and down" and it does that very fast, almost a vibrating look to it. At first, it was with a news article opened and tonight, I noticed it just on the Website ... think it was Foxnews and another site that I saw this. I've not seen it anywhere else yet.
    Am I looking at a bad video card or a screen going on the blink. And of course, if I understand it correctly, video cards are not replaceable in laptops which means if it is the video, it's going to be heading to the dump with this rig.
    OR ... is there something else I should try before going into the depths of depression over this machine self destructing. Please advise. Thanks!

Administrator Array MasterC@ASUS's Avatar

Have you tried a fresh install for Windows? Also try updating the BIOS (if not already), and using the latest graphics card driver (Win8.1) from the our support site (link below) and see if the issue persists.
    https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ROG-G75...Desk_Download/

ROG Enthusiast Array

Haven't done a fresh install of Windows 10 but did the latest Fall update, O Master. Did that back in October and no issues till just recently. The BIOS has been updated a ways back with the latest that ASUS offers.
    Last evening, after I posted this, I uninstalled the latest graphics Driver from Nviidia & installed the latest driver from those folks. But actually, I updated it last week, doing the uninstall with the downloaded file and installing the latest one. Last evening, I went into the Device Manager and completely uninstalled it from there, then updated it again with this latest Nvidia driver.
    I see you mention Win8.1 ... am wondering why you mention that since I'm using Windows 10, unless I didn't mention that in my first post. Anyway, if that is the reason, I'm sorry for that.
    This problem of the screen jumping up and down is very random and only began a few days ago. Do you think there is a slight possibility of the Video Card beginning to go? And what is the average life expectancy of these units?
    (I just noticed it again ... this time on a news website, the screen just for a quick second went weird, like distorted just a bit and it didn't jump this time but distorted to the left - went sideways for a nanosecond)
    Last edited by Amenophis; 12-26-2017 at 11:30 AM.

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    Memory (part number)16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 1080 Strix
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade

Have you tried a different web browser? I know that sounds weird but if you are only seeing this when browsing the web then it's worth a try.
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

< < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!

ROG Enthusiast Array

Yup! I first saw this on Chrome, so switched to Vivaldi and sure enough, after a bit, I saw it there. Any other suggestions or thoughts? Should I keep a Fire Extinguisher close by?

ROG Enthusiast Array Exalanoto PC Specs
    Exalanoto PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus X hero Z370
    ProcessorI7 8700k
    Memory (part number)F4-3600C16D-16GTZR
    Graphics Card #1Asus Geforce 1080ti OC Gaming
    Storage #1Samsung NWME 960 Evo 250gb
    Storage #2Corsair 500GB SSD
    Power SupplyEVGA G3 850w
    Mouse Razer Naga
    Headset Logitech G933
    Mouse Pad Steelseries
    Headset/Speakers Creative THX
    OS Windows 10 64B pro

This might be a direct X issue aswell.

Try reinstalling directX

Also, download DDU and delete youre nvidia driver when pc is booted into safemode. Then reinstall the new driver (also in safemode)
    Last edited by Exalanoto; 12-26-2017 at 07:18 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Although I did what is supposed to be a clean install of the Nvidia drivers, I did follow your directions by going into Safe Mode, uninstalling it and reinstalling the latest drivers. As to reinstalling the directx, I did a search for that and came up with this thread ...
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...43301a6?auth=1

Also, is it safe to download the "Download DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer from Official Microsoft Download Center" and do the reinstalling from that or do you have a better suggestion.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Anyone else aboard here that has an idea as to my posting?

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    Memory (part number)16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 1080 Strix
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade

Based on your efforts to tidy up the drivers it does sound like a hardware issue but as you mention I don't know whether GPU or panel. The easiest way to test this would be to hook up to an external monitor and see if you still have issues.
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

< < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!

ROG Enthusiast Array

I have just laptops here. And it's so random, one could stare into the screen for several hours and not see anything. Suddenly (and without warning too) it makes this little jump and it's like it never happened. Is it not normal for laptops over 4 years of age to at least be on the downward spiral I realize one cannot use the 4 year thing as a rule of thumb but overall, are not laptops in general on their way out in that particular time frame? Or am I way off base?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast