cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can this be a video card beginning to self destruct

Amenophis
Level 10
I'm using an ASUS Rogue G750JW and now is just about 50 months old. Here's what I've noticed in the last week or so. In any Webpage, I notice only once in a while, a kind of "jumping up and down" and it does that very fast, almost a vibrating look to it. At first, it was with a news article opened and tonight, I noticed it just on the Website ... think it was Foxnews and another site that I saw this. I've not seen it anywhere else yet.
Am I looking at a bad video card or a screen going on the blink. And of course, if I understand it correctly, video cards are not replaceable in laptops which means if it is the video, it's going to be heading to the dump with this rig.
OR ... is there something else I should try before going into the depths of depression over this machine self destructing. Please advise. Thanks!
22 REPLIES 22

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
Have you tried a fresh install for Windows? Also try updating the BIOS (if not already), and using the latest graphics card driver (Win8.1) from the our support site (link below) and see if the issue persists.
https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ROG-G750JW/HelpDesk_Download/

Amenophis
Level 10
Haven't done a fresh install of Windows 10 but did the latest Fall update, O Master. Did that back in October and no issues till just recently. The BIOS has been updated a ways back with the latest that ASUS offers.
Last evening, after I posted this, I uninstalled the latest graphics Driver from Nviidia & installed the latest driver from those folks. But actually, I updated it last week, doing the uninstall with the downloaded file and installing the latest one. Last evening, I went into the Device Manager and completely uninstalled it from there, then updated it again with this latest Nvidia driver.
I see you mention Win8.1 ... am wondering why you mention that since I'm using Windows 10, unless I didn't mention that in my first post. Anyway, if that is the reason, I'm sorry for that.
This problem of the screen jumping up and down is very random and only began a few days ago. Do you think there is a slight possibility of the Video Card beginning to go? And what is the average life expectancy of these units?
(I just noticed it again ... this time on a news website, the screen just for a quick second went weird, like distorted just a bit and it didn't jump this time but distorted to the left - went sideways for a nanosecond)

xeromist
Have you tried a different web browser? I know that sounds weird but if you are only seeing this when browsing the web then it's worth a try.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Amenophis
Level 10
Yup! I first saw this on Chrome, so switched to Vivaldi and sure enough, after a bit, I saw it there. Any other suggestions or thoughts? Should I keep a Fire Extinguisher close by?

This might be a direct X issue aswell.

Try reinstalling directX

Also, download DDU and delete youre nvidia driver when pc is booted into safemode. Then reinstall the new driver (also in safemode)

Amenophis
Level 10
Although I did what is supposed to be a clean install of the Nvidia drivers, I did follow your directions by going into Safe Mode, uninstalling it and reinstalling the latest drivers. As to reinstalling the directx, I did a search for that and came up with this thread ...
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/how-do-i-unistallreinstall-dir...

Also, is it safe to download the "Download DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer from Official Microsoft Download Center" and do the reinstalling from that or do you have a better suggestion.

Amenophis
Level 10
Anyone else aboard here that has an idea as to my posting?

xeromist
Based on your efforts to tidy up the drivers it does sound like a hardware issue but as you mention I don't know whether GPU or panel. The easiest way to test this would be to hook up to an external monitor and see if you still have issues.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

I should add this because I never gave you the whole story. I said this is a random thing but failed to say, I haven't actually saw this since I did the Driver thing. Also, I only see this on a couple websites. Do you not find that kind of weird though?
If perchance it does not do the trembling, jump thing, I'll let ya's know.