Power SupplyThermaltake Toughpower iRGB Plus 1250W
    Keyboard ASUS ROG Claymore
    Mouse ASUS ROG Galdius II
    Headset Apple Airpods
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Sheath
    OS Windows 10 Pro
    Network RouterASUS ROG

x299 PCH Voltage Range?

I'm curious as to what a safe voltage range for the PCH Core is.

I've been trying to get my brick of a keyboard called the ASUS ROG Claymore working and I read somewhere that increasing the PCH core can help with USB problems. Increasing the Voltage of the PCH appears to be having some positive effects but I don't know how high I can safely go.

Can someone help me decipher Intel's Specs? I see min and max but I don't know which applies to my BIOS setting of the PCH Core.

NOTE: I do not have ASUS Aura 1.05.28 syncing the keyboard or mouse (gladius II)

When PCH Core is set to Auto in the BIOS
    - BIOS displays voltage around 1.008 - 1.016.
    - Aida64 shows the same voltages 1.008 - 1.016.
    - ROG Claymore will never connect.
    - Windows will make the USB sound and then it will display a message that the USB device is malfunctioning.

When PCH Core is set to 1.025 in the BIOS
    - BIOS displays voltage around 1.025.
    - Aida64 displays voltage at 1.032.
    - ROG Claymore actually connects!!! HOWEVER when I run armory it will connect for only 5-10 minutes before it starts to glitch out (ASUS Armory errors out and closes, the Keyboard goes black).
    - Leaving Armory OFF, the Keyboard now remains connected (1 hour so far) after unplugging the keyboard and plugging it in again.

I found the following specs on the x299 PCH on intels website (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...eet-vol-1.html)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	x299 PCH Specs.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	179.3 KB 
ID:	69900
    Last edited by Skunkfoo; 12-26-2017 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Spelling/Grammer

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Menthol PC Specs
    Menthol PC Specs
    MotherboardM 10 Apex / XI gene
    Processor8700K / 9900K
    Memory (part number)2x8 Gskill Trident Z 4266/2x2x8 Gskill Trident Z 4500
    Graphics Card #1RTX 2080ti / GTX 1060
    Sound CardSoundBlaster Ae5 / Onboard
    MonitorBENQ 32" 4K
    Storage #1Intel 900p 480GB/Samsung 960 Pro 1TB
    Storage #2Intel 750 1.2TB/Plextor 1 TB 2X 950 Pro
    CPU CoolerCorsair H150i AIO / H1110i
    CaseCorsair 740 ? Lian Li Air
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1200i / AX 1200i
    Keyboard Corsair
    Mouse ASUS Strix
    Headset HyperX Cloud Alpha
    Mouse Pad ASUS
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z906
    OS 10 X64 Pro
    Network RouterVerizon Fios
    Accessory #1 Intel Wifi BT pcie card
    Accessory #2 Red Bull
    Accessory #3 English Breakfast Tea

I do not not what is safe for sure but I don't believe 1.04 would be to excessive, I have mine set to 1.025 just because, I was not having any issues
    Someone else may be able to give you a more specific answer

New ROGer Array Skunkfoo PC Specs
    Skunkfoo PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme
    Processori9 7940x
    Memory (part number)64 GB G.Skill 3733 RGB
    Graphics Card #1Titan Xp
    Graphics Card #2Titan Xp
    Monitor3x ASUS PG278QR
    CPU CoolerEK Monoblock
    CaseThermaltake Tower 900 Snow
    Headset Apple Airpods
    OS Windows 10 Pro
    Network RouterASUS ROG

Setting vs. Actual Voltage

Anyone experiencing differences in voltages?

PCH Core set to 1.01875 in BIOS
    - BIOS reports 1.032

PCH Core set to 1.02500 in BIOS
    - BIOS reports 1.040

Aida64 in Windows 10 FCU also reports the same higher voltages.

I'm still hoping someone can tell me if 1.04 - 1.05 volts is safe for PCH Voltages in either the setting or actual reading.

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array meankeys PC Specs
    meankeys PC Specs
    MotherboardRampage VI Apex / Maximus IX APEX / Rampage V EX V10
    Processor7920X / 5960X / 6950X / 7700K
    Memory (part number)G.Skill Trident Z - 16GB
    Graphics Card #1Zotac 1080 Ti
    Graphics Card #2Zotac 1080 Ti
    Graphics Card #3ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 OC
    Monitor3 X ASUS V248Q
    Storage #1Samsung 950 Pro
    CPU CoolerCool Express SS
    Power SupplyThermaltake Tough Power Grand 1200W
    Keyboard Cyberus
    Headset Tittan
    OS Win 7 64bit
    Network RouterASUS

I found this... Hope it helps. Do you have the same problem in different ports?

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/260467-29-voltage

Interesting read on North and South bridge voltages

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/under...motherboard/6/

Administrator Array Silent Scone@ASUS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkfoo View Post
    Anyone experiencing differences in voltages?

PCH Core set to 1.01875 in BIOS
    - BIOS reports 1.032

PCH Core set to 1.02500 in BIOS
    - BIOS reports 1.040

Aida64 in Windows 10 FCU also reports the same higher voltages.

I'm still hoping someone can tell me if 1.04 - 1.05 volts is safe for PCH Voltages in either the setting or actual reading.

I've not had any issues with the Claymore with PCH in Auto on the Apex. The actual voltage will likely be somewhere in between. None of which that are reported are going to be detrimental to longevity. I'd try to keep it under 1.1 for arguments sake, though.

New ROGer Array

Cool

Hi Skunkfoo,

I've had quite some experience with PCH voltages in the last 6,7 years. Also because it looks like my previous X79 PCH's default has been rather insufficient.

I can tell you for sure that 1.05V doesn't pose a risk for your system. My own x299 has been running on 1.05~1.10V with no issues. Also I have seen that Supermicro's and ASRock's X299 boards are using 1.05V as default.

Also, please don't read too much into the sensor readings. Such sensor readings are very rough compared to actual multimeters, and to my experience the actual settings of the BIOS are much closer to the real voltage than the sensors.

Ever since I found that my X79 PCH needed 1.275V over the 1.10V default I've had an eye on USB problems and PCH voltages. That had me confused especially because th BCLK has always been 100 MHz. So the PCH has never been overclocked.

Here's a list of problems that I have seen on my old Gigabyte X79 system:

x79 PCH Volt:
    1.10v: Various problems. Up to 15 seconds delayed detection of connecting or disconnecting USB devices. Microsoft webcam was not found sporadically.
    under 1.16V: GPU driver may crash.
    under 1.20v: Bluetooth dongles may have trouble, i.e. with a Wiimote. Wiimote was found but the update rate was too low to actually play on the Dolphin Wii emulator
    up to 1.25V: Latency of add-in network card (intel) was inconsistent.
    1.275V: Generally better system performance and consistent benchmark results. i.e. Cinebench R15, Valley 3D benchmark, Linx.

Z97 PCH: ASRock used 1.225V on Auto over the official default of 1.05V-The same 175mV offset that I saw was needed on my X79. A friend of mine ran a Linux file server with several harddrives with an ASUS Z97 board on defaults. An external USB3 HDD threw an error in the BIOS upon every launch, and one of his SATA drives was not detected sporadically. His problems disappeared after I recommended him to increase the voltage to around 1.18V.

So, here is my conclusion:

USB problems seem to be a good indicator if the PCH voltage is sufficient or not. Even tho you only see USB problems, the rest of the PCH's internal units (SATA, PCIe hosts, etc.) are most likely not happy either-which may or may not lead to problems. I think especially the SATA controllers and thus data integrity are too crucial to run on too little voltage. And as you can see in my list of problems, even cards and onboard devices connected to PCIe lanes of the PCH can suffer in performance.

I wouldn't be surprised if your problems disappeared fully with a PCH voltage of between 1.05 and 1.075V.

Crossing fingers.

New ROGer Array Skunkfoo PC Specs
    Skunkfoo PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme
    Processori9 7940x
    Memory (part number)64 GB G.Skill 3733 RGB
    Graphics Card #1Titan Xp
    Graphics Card #2Titan Xp
    Monitor3x ASUS PG278QR
    CPU CoolerEK Monoblock
    CaseThermaltake Tower 900 Snow
    Headset Apple Airpods
    OS Windows 10 Pro
    Network RouterASUS ROG

Quote Originally Posted by Amurtigress View Post
    Hi Skunkfoo,

I've had quite some experience with PCH voltages in the last 6,7 years. Also because it looks like my previous X79 PCH's default has been rather insufficient.

I can tell you for sure that 1.05V doesn't pose a risk for your system. My own x299 has been running on 1.05~1.10V with no issues. Also I have seen that Supermicro's and ASRock's X299 boards are using 1.05V as default.

Also, please don't read too much into the sensor readings. Such sensor readings are very rough compared to actual multimeters, and to my experience the actual settings of the BIOS are much closer to the real voltage than the sensors.

Ever since I found that my X79 PCH needed 1.275V over the 1.10V default I've had an eye on USB problems and PCH voltages. That had me confused especially because th BCLK has always been 100 MHz. So the PCH has never been overclocked.

Here's a list of problems that I have seen on my old Gigabyte X79 system:

x79 PCH Volt:
    1.10v: Various problems. Up to 15 seconds delayed detection of connecting or disconnecting USB devices. Microsoft webcam was not found sporadically.
    under 1.16V: GPU driver may crash.
    under 1.20v: Bluetooth dongles may have trouble, i.e. with a Wiimote. Wiimote was found but the update rate was too low to actually play on the Dolphin Wii emulator
    up to 1.25V: Latency of add-in network card (intel) was inconsistent.
    1.275V: Generally better system performance and consistent benchmark results. i.e. Cinebench R15, Valley 3D benchmark, Linx.

Z97 PCH: ASRock used 1.225V on Auto over the official default of 1.05V-The same 175mV offset that I saw was needed on my X79. A friend of mine ran a Linux file server with several harddrives with an ASUS Z97 board on defaults. An external USB3 HDD threw an error in the BIOS upon every launch, and one of his SATA drives was not detected sporadically. His problems disappeared after I recommended him to increase the voltage to around 1.18V.

So, here is my conclusion:

USB problems seem to be a good indicator if the PCH voltage is sufficient or not. Even tho you only see USB problems, the rest of the PCH's internal units (SATA, PCIe hosts, etc.) are most likely not happy either-which may or may not lead to problems. I think especially the SATA controllers and thus data integrity are too crucial to run on too little voltage. And as you can see in my list of problems, even cards and onboard devices connected to PCIe lanes of the PCH can suffer in performance.

I wouldn't be surprised if your problems disappeared fully with a PCH voltage of between 1.05 and 1.075V.

Crossing fingers.
    Thanks for the comments.

I'm going to start with 1.04 in the bios which will likely read more than 1.05 in Aida64 and see where I end up.

I don't know much about Z97 but when you ran PCH: ASRock used 1.225V with a default of 1.05V, what was intel saying the max PCH voltages were?

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkfoo View Post
    Thanks for the comments.

I'm going to start with 1.04 in the bios which will likely read more than 1.05 in Aida64 and see where I end up.

I don't know much about Z97 but when you ran PCH: ASRock used 1.225V with a default of 1.05V, what was intel saying the max PCH voltages were?
    Intel's papers said X79 is "1.3V tolerant", also confirmed by a support posting by EVGA on their X79 models. They said literally voltages under 1.3V won't shorten the lifespan of the PCH. Same should apply to Z97, too.

On the X299 we're having a hefty die-shrink. On my system SATA stopped detecting devices at around 1.16V. That should be enough of a warning I think....

Also the PCH papers are mentioning internal voltage regulation that can be enabled or disabled via individual pins on the chip. I am seriously wondering if we're feeding the core directly or not. If not, that could explain the higher voltages on the X79.