cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buildlog - Liquid cooled GPU (G20CI - GTX1080 Turbo - Corsair H90)

a0R86
Level 7
This is my first post on this buildlog, my idea is to liquid cool the GTX 1080 that hits the 85C mark everytime I'm gaming.

My approach is very simple, do avoid modding the case as far as I can. The general idea is to have the radiator mounted outside the case (inside would have been impossible). The parts used for this mod are the following:

• Kraken G10 (modified)
  • Noctua 92mm fan low profile (NF-A9x14)
  • Noctua fan controller (NA-FC1)
  • Corsair H90
  • Aluminium Heatsinks for VRAM and Mosfets
  • 140mm fan for the rad

Ill keep you guys posted!
6 REPLIES 6

a0R86
Level 7
Okay here we go guys. This mod took about 4 hours to make.

ATTENTION!!! I DO NOT HOLD RESPONSIBLE IF YOU DAMAGE YOUR HARDWARE REPLICATING THIS MOD. YOU ARE DOING IT AT YOUR OWN RISK. ATTENTION!!!!

STEP 1: KRAKEN G10 MOD

I started by cutting the side of the Kraken G10 to make it fit inside the cage of the G20 GPU slot.

STEP 2: PCI BRACKET MOD

In order to fit the tubes through the PCI bracket, I had to cut the mesh to lead the tubes through:

File the edges down to make it smooth and can't damage the tubes and wires:

STEP 3: CAGE MOD

Cut the cage so the pump can go through it and via the newly cutted PCI bracket:

STEP 4: ASSEMBLY

Time to try to fit the Kraken G10/Corsair H90 Combo inside the cage. A bit tricky but you will eventually get there.
I used the Noctua fan controller (NA-FC1) and a 4-pin PWM to VGA fan adapter to control the fans via PWM. The 3 output fan headers were used for:

• Radiator fan
  • Pump
  • 92mm fan for VRM cooling

STEP 5: TESTBOOT (IT'S ALIVE!!)

I carefully lowered the cage inside the G20 and tightened the screws and went to test if this mod even worked. Held my breath and pushed the power button. IT'S ALIVE!!!

STEP 6: CLEANING UP

Since the Noctua fan controller was entirely PWM controlled, I decided it was unnecessary to have it outside the G20, so a littlebit of cablemanagement later, I fitted all of the excess cables inside.

And close the lid

STEP 7: TEMPS AND OVERCLOCK

Well all I can say is that this mod took a lot of planning, since I didn't want the AIO to show. But it was all worth it based on what result I got:

Here is the Asus GTX 1080 Turbo at stock, running Heaven benchmark. The card hits the 85C mark and starts to throttle. I kept the fans running in auto.

I did another test with the card overclocked, this time 100% fan speed (this thing is screaming at the point):
Although I reached 1974 MHz core, the clock was unstable and the screen froze from time to time.

AFTER MOD

This is the result after 15 minutes of Heaven benchmark running:

The computer is dead silent, and it doesn't even sweat. I managed to push the core to 2050 MHz and the memory to 5300 MHz. I think to push it more a volt mod is needed, but at this point, I'm more than satisfied with the result.

I hope you guys enjoyed this mod/guide and I wish you all a nice day!

xeromist
Congrats! Are you going to mount it to the case or just leave it free?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Congrats! Are you going to mount it to the case or just leave it free?

I will try to mount it underneath my desk 😉

six4bravo
Level 10
Gj dude, I think this coupled with my cpu water mod would be a beast of a compact computer.

six4bravo wrote:
Gj dude, I think this coupled with my cpu water mod would be a beast of a compact computer.

Thanks man, I think my next project is to make a custom loop for my G20 using the same idea. But for now I' happy 😄

Just bought a cheap waterblock from Ebay. I will now continue planning the mod by expanding the AIO using the guide from MindBlank Tech:

I'm still going to use the H90, although it's only 140mm rad.

Stay tuned!