cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Hyper m.2 x16 not working/PCIe running at x8 x4 instead of x16 x8

Aedris
Level 7
Hey guys, thanks in advance for the help!

Parts list at the bottom:

I have a few problems.

1. I don't know which of these problems is causing my issue, but there are a few potential issues.
2. My Pcie bus is running at the incorrect speeds?
3. My asus splitter card may be defective? ( ^more likely)

My goal: I have a Asus hyper m.2 x16 lane splitter card and I want to run 2 samsung 960 evos on it in raid 0(doesnt need to be bootable). My asus hyper card will not show more than 1 ssd at a time, and no ssd will show up when installed in the 3rd or 4th slot on the card.

(im currently running my boot drive on a separate asus hyper x4 card, and running one gaming drive on the x16 card, although i would prefer if i could run all three on the m.2 card without bandwidth issues)

Currently, my PCIe bus is running at x8 x4 x4 x4 and I have no idea how to fix this. I'm guessing this is the root of my problem, and the reason my Asus card wont show more than one drive at a time. I have tested this by verifying it in bios and in gpu-z (and i ran the bus render test, still x8 mode)

I played around in bios but I could not find a way to set either my gfx card to x16 mode, or my lanes to x8 4 x8 x4, which would be the default sli setup if i had a second gfx card but to no avail.

A few bits of information.
-My system is running in performance mode in windows, psu is not set to eco mode, and my graphics card is set to performance in nvidia control panel for my game of choice (black desert online) but the Pcie bus still stays at x8 mode.
-I have tested each of my ssds on the hyper x4 card, all of them show up in bios and windows partition manager. I have the 250gb running my windows atm, and one of the 500gbs running as a game drive, so i know all the drives are functional.
-when installing two drives onto the x16 card, whichever drive is in the first slot, is the one that is detected, whether it is the 250gb, the 500gb game drive, or the clean 500gb drive, whichever is in the first slot shows up. This leads me to believe it is indeed a bus bandwidth problem.

I have no idea how to fix the bandwidth settings. Ive browsed through forums, and looked at videos. Maybe im just not searching the correct terminology or something. If anyone can link me to a video or post that you think can help me fix the bus bandwidth that would be appreciated. Direct instructions on specific settings in the asus bios to fix the problem would of course be preferred.

Parts List:

CPU: Intel Core I7-8700k @5Ghz >1.36v
RAM: G-Skill TridenZ rgb 16gb @3866 > 18 18 18 38 >1.35v
MOBO: Asus Maximus X Apex
GPU: EVGA 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid @stock
PSU: EVGA SuperNova P2 850 @Eco Mode Disabled

PCIe Cards: 1x EVGA 1080 ti SC2 Hybrid > in slot Pcie x16_1
1x Asus Hyper m.2 x4 > in slot Pcie x16_2
1x Asus Hyper m.2 x16 > in slot Pcie x16_3
1x Creative Sound Blaster Z > in slot Pcie x16_4

All System Drives: 1x Samsung 960 Evo 250gb boot
1x Samsung 960 Evo 500gb Games/programs drive
1x Samsung 960 Evo 500gb formatted, clean drive.
1x Samsung 840 pro old boot > in slot Sata 6.0_1
1x Western Digital 1TB SE 7200 rpm > in slot Sata 6.0_2
11 REPLIES 11

JustinThyme
Level 13
Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings but C&P directly from the product specs page

Compatible models
ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME
ROG RAMPAGE VI APEX
ROG STRIX X299-XE GAMING
ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING
PRIME X299-DELUXE
PRIME X299-A
TUF X299 MARK 1
TUF X299 MARK 2

This board is not supported on Z370 or any other Z board for that matter. X299 only.

Somene even tried it on X99 but same thing you got, it doesnt work

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Thanks for the reply! I appreciate that the product page does not list it as compatible with my motherboard. However, just because something doesn't have listed compatibility, doesn't mean it wont work. In the first place, if it was completely incompatible, no drives would be detected. However, one drive is detected so this means it isn't completely incompatible. That's not to say that it WILL support 2 drives, but if one works, its very possible two will as well. Currently My bus speed is running at x8 x4 x4 x4. 4 lanes are split to each of the channels on the asus card ( correct me if im wrong here). So if i only have 4 lanes, of course only 1 drive will work. However, if i had 8 lanes available, two drives should work. At least in theory. My Main problem right now is that my bus speed isn't running at correct speeds. Tomorrow I will remove my gfx card and test the hyper x16 card in the 16_1 slot, and see if it has the same results. If two drives show up, then clearly it is not a compatibility problem. I didn't really think of testing this till now, my apologies, but I'll take care of it tomorrow. If anyone has already tested this, or has a x16 working on a z370 platform please let me know. Thanks!

JustinThyme
Level 13
You are more than welcome to go on trying to make something work that wont. The same funcitionallity of one drive has been reported by every single person that bought the board before reading the compatibility portion of the specificiations. Most of them Cussing ASUS for not making that more clear and leaving it hidden in the specifications tab.

Knock yourself out. Good luck with the learning curve. I hope you can prove me wrong but I dont think that is going to happen this time. You are far from the first person on multiple forums to make the same post and they all ended with the same result, it wont work.

If it was compatible with more boards Im sure ASUS would report it, they only stand to gain more profit from more sales. This was developed for use with VROC on X299 MOBOs and that hasnt come to full fruition yet either.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Menthol
Level 14
Can you place your boot M.2 in the bottom pcie slot or one of the pcie 16 slots that are actually X4, and your 2 960's on the Dimm.2, your sound card in a pcie x1 slot
One of these configurations should work and allow the 2 M.2's on the Dimm.2 in raid

Praz
Level 13
Aedris wrote:

Currently, my PCIe bus is running at x8 x4 x4 x4 and I have no idea how to fix this. I'm guessing this is the root of my problem, and the reason my Asus card wont show more than one drive at a time. I have tested this by verifying it in bios and in gpu-z (and i ran the bus render test, still x8 mode)

Hello

There is nothing to fix regarding this configuration. All available lanes form the processor are being used as well as 4 lanes from the PCH. As with Hyper card compatibility X299 would also provide the necessary PCIe lane for such a configuration.

AbrahamK
Level 7
I have the ASUS HYPER M.2 X16 card installed with two Samsung 960 Pro 512 M.2 drives on the Prime X299 Deluxe motherboard, and only the first M.2 drive is recognized. I've moved the unrecognized drive around to different slots in the X16 card and the LED on the card lights up wherever I put it, but only the drive in the first slot is recognized by the BIOS and the OS. I've also tested the unrecognized drive on the motherboard M.2 ports and it works, so the problem is not the drive. For some reason, the BIOS doesn't recognize more than one drive in the ASUS HYPER M.2 X16 card.

Aedris wrote:
Hey guys, thanks in advance for the help!

Parts list at the bottom:

I have a few problems.

1. I don't know which of these problems is causing my issue, but there are a few potential issues.
2. My Pcie bus is running at the incorrect speeds?
3. My asus splitter card may be defective? ( ^more likely)

My goal: I have a Asus hyper m.2 x16 lane splitter card and I want to run 2 samsung 960 evos on it in raid 0(doesnt need to be bootable). My asus hyper card will not show more than 1 ssd at a time, and no ssd will show up when installed in the 3rd or 4th slot on the card.

(im currently running my boot drive on a separate asus hyper x4 card, and running one gaming drive on the x16 card, although i would prefer if i could run all three on the m.2 card without bandwidth issues)

I played around in bios but I could not find a way to set either my gfx card to x16 mode, or my lanes to x8 4 x8 x4, which would be the default sli setup if i had a second gfx card but to no avail.

A few bits of information.
-My system is running in performance mode in windows, psu is not set to eco mode, and my graphics card is set to performance in nvidia control panel for my game of choice (black desert online) but the Pcie bus still stays at x8 mode.
-I have tested each of my ssds on the hyper x4 card, all of them show up in bios and windows partition manager. I have the 250gb running my windows atm, and one of the 500gbs running as a game drive, so i know all the drives are functional.
-when installing two drives onto the x16 card, whichever drive is in the first slot, is the one that is detected, whether it is the 250gb, the 500gb game drive, or the clean 500gb drive, whichever is in the first slot shows up. This leads me to believe it is indeed a bus bandwidth problem.

I have no idea how to fix the bandwidth settings. Ive browsed through forums, and looked at videos. Maybe im just not searching the correct terminology or something. If anyone can link me to a video or post that you think can help me fix the bus bandwidth that would be appreciated. Direct instructions on specific settings in the asus bios to fix the problem would of course be preferred.

Parts List:

CPU: Intel Core I7-8700k @5Ghz >1.36v
RAM: G-Skill TridenZ rgb 16gb @3866 > 18 18 18 38 >1.35v
MOBO: Asus Maximus X Apex
GPU: EVGA 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid @stock
PSU: EVGA SuperNova P2 850 @Eco Mode Disabled

PCIe Cards: 1x EVGA 1080 ti SC2 Hybrid > in slot Pcie x16_1
1x Asus Hyper m.2 x4 > in slot Pcie x16_2
1x Asus Hyper m.2 x16 > in slot Pcie x16_3
1x Creative Sound Blaster Z > in slot Pcie x16_4

All System Drives: 1x Samsung 960 Evo 250gb boot
1x Samsung 960 Evo 500gb Games/programs drive
1x Samsung 960 Evo 500gb formatted, clean drive.
1x Samsung 840 pro old boot > in slot Sata 6.0_1
1x Western Digital 1TB SE 7200 rpm > in slot Sata 6.0_2

pmgstl1
Level 7
I'm just guessing, but I believe you need the VROC key to run the Hyper Card without Intel ssd's

I should get my key tomorrow and this weekend I will test to see if I can get VRoC to working on my system - This has been painful since I had to pay Intel over $100 to get a key that SHOULD come with every x299 Motherboard over $200 (I paid over $600!)

Once I have the key from Intel, I expect to be sent on another quest for a yet released Firmware update, I want Hardware RAID 0 on my system, I spent enough, here is my rig that I can't get this feature working on:

ASUS Republic of Gamers Rampage VI Extreme LGA 2066 Extended ATX Motherboard
Intel Core i9-7980XE X-Series Extreme Edition 2.6 GHz 18-Core LGA 2066 Processor
Thermaltake Floe Triple Riing RGB 360 TT Premium Edition PWM TR4 AM4 LGA2066 Ready AIO Liquid Cooling System
PNY GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB XLR8 Gaming Overclocked Edition Graphics Card OC
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 4133 (PC4 33000)
Thermaltake View 71 RGB 4-Sided Tempered Glass Vertical GPU Modular E-ATX Gaming Full Tower Computer Case
Dell Alienware 1900R 34.1", LED-Lit, WQHD 3440 x 1440p Resolution, 4ms 120Hz NVIDIA G-Sync
EVGA Supernova 1000 G3, 80 Plus Gold 1000W, Fully Modular
Asus Hyper M.2 x16 Card Expansion NV Me M.2 Drives Speed up to 128Gbps 2x Samsung 970 EVO 2TB (RAID 0)
2x Samsung 860 EVO 2TB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD (RAID 0)
Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Backlit Mechanical Keyboard
Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Gaming Mouse
Logitech G Pro Gaming Headset
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Certified Computer Speaker System (Black)

-Jason

JustinThyme
Level 13
I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings but all this has already been tested and addressed. The only thing you can do with non intel drives is wiindows software raid. This has been no secret from the beginning that only Intel drives will work with VROC. VROC standard keys, premium keys etc either dont work at all or provide you with no more than what you already had. The only key that was designed with this system is the VROCISSDMOD key, got one free from ASUS after a few months of bombarding them and found them on Mouser for less than $10. I was possibly the loudest mouth on the planet when this platform launched about getting a key. Back and forth has already been done with intel and ASUS by multiple people.

If you want to run VROC raid0 with intel drives no key is necessary.

The motive is clear. They give unrestricted keys for consumer boards whats the point in selling enterprise boards and keys at a much higher profit margin. Hmm handful of enthusiasts vs their bread and butter data center use? Thats a no brainer. They make it where it can be done on this board for what is comparably chump change to enterprise solutions then why would the enterprise folks pay a premium? The wouldnt and would be buying up all the HEDT boards instead.

Sorry Brother, VROC with anything other than intel drives on the HEDT platform isnt going to happen.
On a positive note Intel now has the 905P drives in an M2 form factor at 380GB each. So to get 4 of these in raid 0 and see rediculous speeds you have to pay the piper.......$2K! Better alternative than what early adopters had with the Intel 900P PCIE drives.