cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7920X + Asus ROG X299 Strix-E, CPU temp warning

bsodmike
Level 7
Hi all,

After much instability and issues, I've come to realise the Noctua NH-L12 cooler I'm using, is thermally under-rated for the 7920X at either full-load, or even with Asus' MultiCore Enhancement (MCE) option enabled.

coretemp-isa-0000                                                                                                                 
Adapter: ISA adapter
Package id 0: +105.0°C (high = +95.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 0: +104.0°C (high = +95.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 1: +104.0°C (high = +95.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 2: +105.0°C (high = +95.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 3: +104.0°C (high = +95.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 4: +105.0°C (high = +95.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 5: +104.0°C (high = +95.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 8: +103.0°C (high = +95.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 9: +105.0°C (high = +95.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 10: +104.0°C (high = +95.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 11: +104.0°C (high = +95.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 12: +102.0°C (high = +95.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 13: +101.0°C (high = +95.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)

Noticed core temps once I saw the Q-code LED for the CPU turning on, turning off, randomly staying on when running the Phoronix Cryptography
benchmark in Fedora 26 (https://openbenchmarking.org/suite/pts/cryptography) - I particularly noticed the Q-code CPU fail LED turning on when the John-the-Ripper test would kick in pushing all 24-cores to 100%.
8 REPLIES 8

Menthol
Level 14
These big chips draw a lot of current under load even at default speeds and get extremely hot fast, a very large Heatsink, 240, 280. 360 AIO is minimum at default speeds, a custom water cooling system if overclocking

I see Phronix uses AVX, have you set up AVX offsets in the bios? there are options for AVX and AVX 512, try setting 2 to 4 for AVX and 5 or more for AVX 512, this will reduce the max CPU speed by the offset, max speed 4.2 reduces to 4.0 with offset of 2 reducing temps, you need to setup offsets even using the best water cooling

Thanks for the heads up. Would a Noctua NH-U14S be inadequate for the job, if I'm not planning to OC the chip?

I have a Corsair H115i that I could use, hmm...!!

bsodmike wrote:
Thanks for the heads up. Would a Noctua NH-U14S be inadequate for the job, if I'm not planning to OC the chip?

I have a Corsair H115i that I could use, hmm...!!

If you already have the AIO, I'd pick it over the air cooler.

Thanks chaps - been trying to cut down on AIOs as I've had pump failures in the past. Not planning to OC this much, if at all the usual XMP on the RAM.
If I do OC, I'll certainly grab a better cooler (or slap the AIO on...).

Looking to swap the board to a Rampage Extreme VI first, and couple it with a good 1200W PSU.

Appreciate the advice, thanks!

Isnt that a small form factor HSF? I wouldn't recommend that for a 7700K, nevermind 3 stacked on top of one another.

bsodmike wrote:
Thanks chaps - been trying to cut down on AIOs as I've had pump failures in the past. Not planning to OC this much, if at all the usual XMP on the RAM.
If I do OC, I'll certainly grab a better cooler (or slap the AIO on...).

Looking to swap the board to a Rampage Extreme VI first, and couple it with a good 1200W PSU.

Appreciate the advice, thanks!

Well, Noctua has some bigger heatsinks with more cooling power like the NH-D15S if you wish to stick with air cooling.

CSN7
Level 7
I have the same chip. If you're not overclocking the chip, that air cooler is fine. As soon as any overclocking comes into play, that AiO becomes the minimum. These chips can stay in the 50's stock but if you add any volts oh boy it gets toasty pretty fast.

JustinThyme
Level 13
I wouldnt even bother with air. As Menthol stated these chips draw a lot of power and with that there is a lot of heat.
The Corsair H115i is even marginal but better than the Noctura you listed that is by degin far under rated. Their product spec page says do not use on CPUs with a TDP of greater than 95W, 7920X TDP is 140W without any OC.

If you dont like AIO then go with custom loop. Parts do fail but Id rather be replacing am $80 failed pump than a cooked $1000-$2000 CPU. If set up the sytem corretly and use the pump feedback as the CPU fan speed then the system will not post past the warning screen if the pump fails. My system has two D5 pumps is series. This adds capacity but also if one pump fails then I have another still running. Not that I think I will ever face that as I have D5 pumps that have been running for 10 years no worries. Only one failure and that was DOA out of the box.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein