cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG Zephyrus: Assymetrical LEDs - Broken Device?

Srtnr
Level 7
Dear Community,

I recently bought a new ASUS ROG Zephyrus laptop. Today, I have used it for the first time and I am not sure whether something might be broken or not.

In my case, the LEDs which light up the cooling mechanism seem to be different. The one on the left side seems to have a wider "glow" than the one on the right side, e.g. a wider light radius and it casts longer shadows.

Since apart from that, both sides of the device look symmetrical, I was wondering whether this could mean that the whole cooling mechanism thingy is broken, as the LED light is not symmetrical. Are there any Zephyrus owners who can tell me about how the LEDs should be? Is it "correct" that one does not shine as "wide" as the other? And if no, could/should I RMA this? Or does the device only look symmetrical from the top and it has differences on both sides, causing the LEDs to shine differently? Unfortunately, I did not find any pictures I could use to check.

I know this is kind of specific question, but I'd appreciate any kind of help as this was a really expensive machine. If necessary, I can also post pictures.

Since this is my first post here, I am sorry if I used the wrong subforum for this.
4 REPLIES 4

mario64
Level 7
Srtnr wrote:
Dear Community,

I recently bought a new ASUS ROG Zephyrus laptop. Today, I have used it for the first time and I am not sure whether something might be broken or not.

In my case, the LEDs which light up the cooling mechanism seem to be different. The one on the left side seems to have a wider "glow" than the one on the right side, e.g. a wider light radius and it casts longer shadows.

Since apart from that, both sides of the device look symmetrical, I was wondering whether this could mean that the whole cooling mechanism thingy is broken, as the LED light is not symmetrical. Are there any Zephyrus owners who can tell me about how the LEDs should be? Is it "correct" that one does not shine as "wide" as the other? And if no, could/should I RMA this? Or does the device only look symmetrical from the top and it has differences on both sides, causing the LEDs to shine differently? Unfortunately, I did not find any pictures I could use to check.

I know this is kind of specific question, but I'd appreciate any kind of help as this was a really expensive machine. If necessary, I can also post pictures.

Since this is my first post here, I am sorry if I used the wrong subforum for this.
Common issue with the Zephyrus unfortunately

mario64 wrote:
Common issue with the Zephyrus unfortunately

Thanks so much for getting back to me. So the LEDs being assymetrical is common? Is there any threads on this I have missed? If they are like this out of the box, I guess it is by design, but if some users do have the issues and others not, it's interesting.

Question is, what can or should we do about it: Is this a sign that something is wrong with the whole mechanism or is it just "cosmetical" without influencing the device? Is this something RMA would cover or should I just leave it that way?

Srtnr wrote:
Thanks so much for getting back to me. So the LEDs being assymetrical is common? Is there any threads on this I have missed? If they are like this out of the box, I guess it is by design, but if some users do have the issues and others not, it's interesting.

Question is, what can or should we do about it: Is this a sign that something is wrong with the whole mechanism or is it just "cosmetical" without influencing the device? Is this something RMA would cover or should I just leave it that way?

I also had the same thing with my rog zephyrus. Left side made a very visible bright spot on a table but not the right. It's a minor cosmetic thing so I didn't think much of it. I doubt an RMA would be a good idea for this alone.

If you have a significant issue or a bunch of minor ones i'd consider an RMA in your shoes. There doesn't seem to be any huge flaws with this system, just a ton of minor ones and lots of minor driver issues which should be fixable.

The other minor things I noticed were:

Sounds at 70%+ volume were distorted. Others have reported this as an issue and done an RMA for it. This may be a driver issue though since sometimes sounds played properly at volume. One guy had the issue on just one of the speakers.

When I turned the screen brightness up to 100% I would hear a hum. Turning it down to 60-30% made the hum go away. It's not that loud but it's certainly noticable in a quiet room when you turn down the brightness. Lowering the brightness to 30% is hardly feasible. I ended up using a USB headset to avoid the fan and screen noise while gaming. Since it's USB it has it's own soundcard it avoids any and all audio issues.

Major stuff i've seen people mention here but I didn't see:

Some USB ports were non functional (worth testing, but this doesn't seem common. Mine was fine.)

System overheats when gaming causing thermal throttling (Didn't notice this at all myself, even in demanding games. Some intel and nvidia chips are just duds.)

I'd say poke the heck out of the thing to see if it has other issues or not. I work in IT and I see issues with enterprise systems all the time that have large scale deployments. This is a first generation specialty system, it's not going to be perfect.

Jeslijar wrote:
I also had the same thing with my rog zephyrus. Left side made a very visible bright spot on a table but not the right. It's a minor cosmetic thing so I didn't think much of it. I doubt an RMA would be a good idea for this alone.

If you have a significant issue or a bunch of minor ones i'd consider an RMA in your shoes. There doesn't seem to be any huge flaws with this system, just a ton of minor ones and lots of minor driver issues which should be fixable.

Thank you so much for your detailed answer, I really appreciate this. It looks like the LED thing is common then, so I'll follow your advice concerning an RMA for this. I also took a look at the back of the machine and noticed that the metal part left and right of the vents is not symmetrical, as can be seen on the picture below:

So this could mean that the device is not a 100% symmetrical in this area, leading to the different LED shines. But from what you described, it seems to be common either way.

Thank you also for pointing out the other issues which are common:

Jeslijar wrote:
Sounds at 70%+ volume were distorted. Others have reported this as an issue and done an RMA for it. This may be a driver issue though since sometimes sounds played properly at volume. One guy had the issue on just one of the speakers.

I have not tried this yet, but most of the time, I am running on headphones anyway. I'll watch out for this from now on, though.

Jeslijar wrote:
When I turned the screen brightness up to 100% I would hear a hum. Turning it down to 60-30% made the hum go away. It's not that loud but it's certainly noticable in a quiet room when you turn down the brightness. Lowering the brightness to 30% is hardly feasible. I ended up using a USB headset to avoid the fan and screen noise while gaming. Since it's USB it has it's own soundcard it avoids any and all audio issues.

Ah, that sounds like the thing I am doing too, as my headset is also USB. I'll look for the issue just for "completionist" purposes anyways, but good to know that the USB headset "solves" it.

Jeslijar wrote:
Some USB ports were non functional (worth testing, but this doesn't seem common. Mine was fine.)

So far, I have only used the ports on the left, but those worked fine. I'll test the other ones too.

Jeslijar wrote:
System overheats when gaming causing thermal throttling (Didn't notice this at all myself, even in demanding games. Some intel and nvidia chips are just duds.)

I have played about four hours of Star Wars Battlefront 2 and did not have any issues, but I'll watch out for that in the future.

Jeslijar wrote:
I'd say poke the heck out of the thing to see if it has other issues or not. I work in IT and I see issues with enterprise systems all the time that have large scale deployments. This is a first generation specialty system, it's not going to be perfect.

I'll do that, thanks for your help! I really love the device, thus, I just wanted to make sure everything is okay, and you did a great job at putting my mind at ease a bit. 🙂