cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G702ZC battery life disappointment

f_courtault
Level 7
Hello everyone,

I am quite disappointed with the battery life of this machine.
On this machine, I have used VLC to see a mp4 movie and it lasts only about one hour !

Do you have the same experience on your side ?
Any way to get it longer ?

Looking at the specifications , the only info we have is that it contains a 4 Cells Polymer Battery but we don't have the capacity of those ones 😞

Best Regards.
7 REPLIES 7

deksman2
Level 8
Unfortunately, I don't think you can realistically expect much more battery life.
A 4 cell battery is simply speaking weak for this hardware, but I suspect that Asus went with it and made it integrated to basically make the 17" look thinner.
In all reality, I'd be fine with more bulk if it came with a proper batter and optimized battery life...

Asus execution of this machine is lacking in a few areas... mainly for £1600 they should have given us 32GB RAM in dual-channel mode (or at least 16 GB in dual channel mode), a bigger/better battery (for which the system has been optimized), better cooling system with far less noisy fans, faster, or at least larger SSD, and better/faster HDD.

The only way to improve battery life on this laptop would be to reduce screen intensity to lowest or at least to about 30%... and place the laptop in power save mode

Clintlgm
Level 14
Yes these are gaming notebooks, really desktop replacements they are not really intended to be used on battery alone but to stay plugged most of the time and minimum use while on battery only. For better battery life you would probably want to look in the business line of computers in the 15" models or entertainment models still in the 15" lines, 17" models with high end CPU and GPU and large amounts of RAM are just not going to last long on battery only.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
Yes these are gaming notebooks, really desktop replacements they are not really intended to be used on battery alone but to stay plugged most of the time and minimum use while on battery only. For better battery life you would probably want to look in the business line of computers in the 15" models or entertainment models still in the 15" lines, 17" models with high end CPU and GPU and large amounts of RAM are just not going to last long on battery only.

They can last longer if they have been optimized and equipped with higher capacity battery.
In the case of GL702ZC, Asus simply gave us a very weak battery and skimped out on a few other things.

I don't realistically expect gaming to be done on battery for long periods of time at all, but regular use such as usage of Word, watching movies and browsing the Internet shouldn't really suck up the battery to high levels.

High powered CPU's and GPU's do have the ability to downclock and reduce their voltages by quite a bit when not overly stressed or used.

Asus should have integrated a higher capacity battery or offered the same model with higher battery and probably spent more time to optimize the system and adjust CPU and GPU clocks and voltages at idle and mild-usage scenarios to draw less power - or at the very least, give us voltage control over the CPU and GPU.

At the very least, you'd expect you'd be able to use this unit on the go for notes and occasional/mild pro software use in the field for a few hours without recharging.

The GPU is limited to 68W... so it's actually more efficient than GTX 1060 while offering similar or better performance in games... while the CPU is more power intensive during load, but otherwise, still efficient (considering it's an 8 core/16 thread CPU).
In regards to power usage, it actually consumes less power than an i7 HQ laptop with mobile 1070 (which don't have issues with battery life)... and yes, while those laptops generally come with iGP's, it's not a stretch to think Asus couldn't modify the RX 580 to clock lower and/or consume less power on existing clocks.

Hello,

High powered CPU's and GPU's do have the ability to downclock and reduce their voltages by quite a bit when not overly stressed or used.

Asus should have integrated a higher capacity battery or offered the same model with higher battery and probably spent more time to optimize the system and adjust CPU and GPU clocks and voltages at idle and mild-usage scenarios to draw less power - or at the very least, give us voltage control over the CPU and GPU.

Fully agree with you.
More if we look at HP Omen same kind of models, they provide Li-ion 8 cells 86 Wh.

Other complains I have, for the moment, regarding this model are:

• The lack of Thunderbolt 3 connectivity
  • The M.2 SATA SSD and not a PCIe/NVMe one even if, it seems, this connectivity exists
  • The single channel RAM instead of dual channel

Best Regards.

f.courtault wrote:
Hello,

Fully agree with you.
More if we look at HP Omen same kind of models, they provide Li-ion 8 cells 86 Wh.

Other complains I have, for the moment, regarding this model are:

• The lack of Thunderbolt 3 connectivity
  • The M.2 SATA SSD and not a PCIe/NVMe one even if, it seems, this connectivity exists
  • The single channel RAM instead of dual channel

Best Regards.

The device is hardly intended to be used on battery for a prolonged amount of time to begin with, as it's mostly desktop hardware in a laptop shell. You can simply consider the battery as a portable UPS in case of a power failure and you need time to save what you've been working on until find another power source.

The stock SSD is SATA3, but NVMe is fully supported on this laptop. I'm currently using a 500GB SAMSUNG 960 EVO and am totally amazed by its speed and responsiveness. Many operations now complete almost in an instant.

As for RAM, I'm not sure how to really determine whether the memory is running in single or dual channel, but you can always install a high quality DDR4-2400 kit of 2 sticks to bring the most out of the laptop. I'm currently using a 32GB DDR4-2400 kit from Corsair, from dmidecode I found terms like CHANNEL A and CHANNEL B so it might be dual-channel capable.

As for Thunderbolt connectivity... sorry I don't really know much about this interface as I don't have anything that uses it at present.

Yes I don't know of any Asus Gaming notebook that doesn't support dual channel RAM, if your not the it it because you only have 1 module installed tp use dual channed you have to have a module installed in both Channel a slots or B slots if you have 1 in each then you will only have single channel and run at half speed 1600 will show up as 800 on A and 800 on B total 1600 This is how dual Channel works.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

MrRuckus
Level 10
f.courtault wrote:
Hello everyone,

I am quite disappointed with the battery life of this machine.
On this machine, I have used VLC to see a mp4 movie and it lasts only about one hour !

Do you have the same experience on your side ?
Any way to get it longer ?

Looking at the specifications , the only info we have is that it contains a 4 Cells Polymer Battery but we don't have the capacity of those ones 😞

Best Regards.

8 core , 16 thread desktop Ryzen CPU and one of the most power hungry GPU's known to mankind (RX580). Point to another manufacturer running a Ryzen in a laptop with significantly better battery life. At this moment in time, there is none. And when they do come out, they will be U variants, made for mobile while being significantly less powerful.

You simply cant expect that machine to run on battery. Its an unrealistic expectation. Portable sure, run on battery? not for long with the hardware it has. AMD has always lagged Intel when it comes to power management, this just proves that point further.
(ROG has simply become too expensive compared to the competition with same specs... 😞 )
MSI GE75 Raider 10SGS - i7 10750H - RTX 2080 Super - 32GB Ram - 1TB WD NVMe - 2TB 960 EVO - 300Hz 17inch Display
RETIRED: ALIENWARE R17 R5 - i7 8750H - GTX 1070 @ 1.9Ghz - 16GB DDR4 - NVMe 970 EVO 1TB - SSD 960 EVO 1TB
SOLD: ASUS G703VI-XH74K, RETIRED: ASUS G752VY-DH72, RETIRED: ASUS G750JH DB71 , RETIRED:ASUS G74Sx DH72