cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fan speed got stuck after Windows hibernation

Doskol
Level 7
Hello there.
I have a laptop Asus G751 with graphic card gtx 860m and it was fine till the moment I came back from half year work contract without internet access.
I did download all new drivers and updates and now I have some serious issues with controlling GPU temperatures.

Usually I shut off computer once per 3-4 days to refresh it, and in between this time just hibernate (singleclick on power button).
Unfortunately with those new updates of Windows 10 and drivers my GPU fan get stuck on basic 2200 rpm as per BIOS settings. This situation causes temperatures rise up to 93 of Celsius and start to decrease performance to keep temperatures in border point. After hibernation state I am not even able to switch on "Fan on full speed" in program Asus GPU tweak. Just completely stuck. The only solution to this state is to switch off computer and switch it on again. I know it is simple as that, but I am afraid one day I will forget and my laptop will burn.

Do any1 know possible solutions on software level?

Thanks for any advices
Norbert.
5 REPLIES 5

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
I know it can be a hassle, but have you tried reinstalling everything including Windows?
If everything is okay unless you hibernate, then perhaps try reinstalling Windows.
Issue only started after recent Windows updates?
Have you tried GPU Tweak II?
https://www.asus.com/supportonly/GPUTweak%20II/HelpDesk_Download/

Hello.
Yes i Tried Asus GPU tweak II and it does not repond to my laptop.
I tried to set temperature but fans still not running as it should do.

I also noticed that my GPU Fan maximum speed is 2700 RPM when it goes automatically which is insufficient for some games.
BUT when I press "RUN fans on full speed" It works 22500 RPM and after I switch off it keep working on 4000 which is enough to keep my GPU at 75-77 degrees.

I literally have no idea what happened to my laptop after this amazing windows update. It seems i need to invest some big hard drive to store my stuff and format seems the only way.

To be clear the situation is as follow
1) When I do start windows GPU fan runs at 2200
2) When I do start any game GPU fans runs till 2700 and temperature raises till 92degrees which proceed to thermal throttling
3) When I do start GPU Tweak 1 and option with FANS, those start spin 22500 (its very loud), When I switch off this option they keep running at 4000

I am really afraid my laptop will burn. Windows 10 - only problems.

####Problem solved####

I switch off windows defender service and fans start work normally.

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
Good to hear this issue is resolved. I will let the team know. Thanks.

Gps3dx
Level 12
Doskol wrote:
Hello there.
I have a laptop Asus G751 with graphic card gtx 860m and it was fine till the moment I came back from half year work contract without internet access.
I did download all new drivers and updates and now I have some serious issues with controlling GPU temperatures.

Usually I shut off computer once per 3-4 days to refresh it, and in between this time just hibernate (singleclick on power button).
Unfortunately with those new updates of Windows 10 and drivers my GPU fan get stuck on basic 2200 rpm as per BIOS settings. This situation causes temperatures rise up to 93 of Celsius and start to decrease performance to keep temperatures in border point. After hibernation state I am not even able to switch on "Fan on full speed" in program Asus GPU tweak. Just completely stuck. The only solution to this state is to switch off computer and switch it on again. I know it is simple as that, but I am afraid one day I will forget and my laptop will burn.

Do any1 know possible solutions on software level?

Thanks for any advices
Norbert.

reinstall ATK driver (from Asus's support site) , and/or clean install ( i.e wipe current version then install latest ) GPU drivers (from NVIDIA site NOT asus ).
for quick & reliable wipe use DDU.

I don't think that windows defender is the main cause for the issue... it is connected sure, you've found that already...but I don't think it guaranty your issue won't resurface in the future.
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]