cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nightmare BIOS, code 42: test NVRAM, etc.

zasyadko
Level 7
I do not know how things are with the development of microprograms in the ASUS, but what I'm experiencing now is just "amazing".:mad:

My PC configuration:

Motherboard
ROG ZENITH EXTREME
Processor
AMD THREADRIPPER 1950X
Memory
Corsair Vengeance LPX (CMK64GX4M4A2400C14) 4x16GB Kit
Graphics Cards
4x MSI Radeon RX Vega 64 WAVE 8G

Everything was bought in early December.
Since the purchase in general, everything worked fine, except for one thing. When you turn on or reboot, the message "code 42: test NVRAM" appears on the motherboard's display and then does not load. It helps several reboots or turns off the power and on again. Sometimes this message does not arise and everything is fine, and sometimes there are different codes instead of it, meaning the lack of a hard disk, the BIOS of the video card, and others. Such a show is observed on the bios version 0701, 0804, has experimentally found out that the most stable for me work 0503, only rarely gives a message that it can not find the hard disk, but it is loaded.
Also, having spent a sleepless night over a poor piece of hardware, it was found out that on new BIOSes 0701 and 0804, if one lath of RAM is installed, the problem is eliminated. The overclocking parameters do not affect the problem in any way. My RAM is in the QVL. A set of RAM was tested on another PC and no errors were detected.

Who faced this problem? What have you done?:confused:

On December 26 I wrote in support, the answer was not received yet. I hope that an adequate response and method of solution will be given.
I am pissed off by the fact that when buying premium-level equipment I hope for stability, performance and the best feelings from the money spent. I'm from Russia, in Moscow this motherboard costs almost $700, and what do I get for this money? Spent time and nerves, and unstable working hardware.

Is there in general a stable BIOS for this motherboard and where to get it?:confused:
5 REPLIES 5

zasyadko
Level 7
BIOS 0902 - again "code 42: test NVRAM" and "code A2: detect HDD":(

... the second day of torment did not pass in vain. After several updates: 0701 -> 0804 -> 0503 -> 0902 -> 0701, version 0701 worked stably:D and did not give any errors for several dozen restarts. I'm in shock! There is some magic here, this does not happen in life! Let's see what happens next. Now I have nothing more to say. I'll keep you posted on what's next ...

http://www.overclock.net/t/1642825/asus-x399-the-rog-zenith-extreme-a-complaint-bug-tracking-thread

I think there is something wrong with the base bios code .. I too have to flash up and down everytime and new problems start and old ones go away then back and forth this board is a mess

zasyadko wrote:
BIOS 0902 - again "code 42: test NVRAM" and "code A2: detect HDD":(

I've had the detect HDD error pop up randomly.. Ironically, it was with their included flash stick installed. I had to keep it out or the thing wouldn't post at all then one day it just started working. Board posts, error pops up later. Thanks Asus.

DragonessLover
Level 7
Sorry if it 2 years later but I bought this board back in October 2017 and was on some beta custom bios and had no issues.

I am now on the latest official bios and finally upgraded my cpu to 2950x and have been randomly getting temp nvram or something. I am not to sure.