cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prime Z370-a / i7 8700k Overclocking guidance please

bhorv67
Level 8
Hi all, looking for some guidance and overclocking tips for the Prime Z370-a mobo.

Out of the box and no changes to the latest bios, I'm finding the voltages to be a bit too high for my comfort level. At all stock settings, I'm looking at 1.47 on CPUz on the vcore. Temps are also really high.
I built this rig for flight simming using P3d v4.1. This app puts a lot of stress on the entire system. Temps i'm noticing are at the throttle level ~95c/100c. I'm using an H80i AIO cooler. Corsair link says the cooler temp is 53c. The air blowing out of the exhaust seems like it should be warmer for that high of a cpu temp. I just ordered an H100i v2 as I think the H80i can't keep up with the 8700k under load.

What I'd like to do is find some way to bring the voltage down. I'm pretty familiar with Asus mobos and bios, but the z370 has a lot more going on than I'm used to. I've made some minimal changes to the bios:

XMP (using GSkill Trident Z DDR4 3200 16g)
OC all cores @ 49
Voltage is set to adaptive mode @ 1.30 total

LLC - level 5

For some reason, making these changes has increased the voltage - CPUz shows 1.504v which really scares me. Temps are right at 100c, so something is not right.

Any suggestions to get this under control would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
14 REPLIES 14

quark54
Level 8
Ex FSX simmer here too.

Der8auer has advice on his channel. For the hero, but most of the settings should be the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoUtA7DKXhU

1.47 at stock can't be right.

I have a Maximus x Code and 8700K waiting to be installed, so I'm yet to develop any expertise on the new platform, but I would suggest you install the latest bios and make sure everything is set to optimised defaults.

What are you running when you see 1.47 at stock? If you run Prime95 [dependant on version] it will run AVX and increased voltage and temp will result. Try just running the sim.

bhorv67
Level 8
Thanks - I don't run any of the stress tests. To me, they all don't emulate anything the system would be running in real use, so why unreasonably stress the system? The temps/voltages I'm getting are while running P3d 4.1. That should be enough of a stress test as it's really utilizing every resource available.

I did some more testing by changing from adaptive to manual mode on the voltage. I first left the voltage offset at 0, then the voltage stayed where I set it (started at 1.32 @ 49 OC). I tried running Cinebench and got a BSOD half way through. While the test was running, CPUz showed the correct vCpu. Then I went back and added .07 to the offset. Didn't change anything else. Ran the same Cinebench test, and now CPUz is showing 1.504 for voltage - WTF???
Temps are still out of control. I had to install rubber washers on the AIO standoffs to get decent contact. The AIO temp under load is around 53c (Package temp is 100c), so I know it's heating up, but the exhaust air doesn't seem to be as warm as it should be. I'm wondering if either the pump is dying, or it's not making good contact.
I'd like to get the voltage under control, and then maybe the temps will come down. Oddly enough, when the system was running at 1.50v, there were no issues - but that can't be good for the cpu.

quark54
Level 8
That's if the voltage is being reported accurately of course. I'd try other software to make sure it's not a reporting error.

But yes, if you have issues you believe with your AIO, then that wouldd certainly be a potential cause of high thermals. Do you have an air cooler you can get your hands on to test with?

If I were you I would try to keep all variables under control while testing. That means the latest bios and running at optimised defaults. Don't even apply the XMP setting. Don't try to overclock, don't mess with voltage.

Then check to see what the CPU voltage is under load. Is it correct for stock voltage? Then check the temp under load, that's core temp under load for each core. With RealTemp or CoreTemp.

One possibility is perhaps a dodgy Die/IHS interface, in other words Intel messing up the paste between die and IHS.

But you must make sure you check for the latest BIOS. There have been issues with load line calibration on Strix boards, and according to Tom Logan from OC3D, it has affected the -A Z370 boards too. And apparently, that new BIOS is now available.

Something else to consider is MCE. That's Multi Core Enhancement. Normally, Intel turbo overclocks ONE core to the max turbo frequency and the others lower, MCE on the other hand overclocks all cores to the max turbo frequency. And Asus boards have it ON as default. The point is that if your cooling is defective, or you have sub standard cooling, excessive temp may result.

For the above reason, set MCE to off while testing, and your temps will drop!

quark54
Level 8
Yep, just did a little research. Pretty sure your issue is MCE. (Multi Core Enhancement).

It overclocks all cores to the max turbo frequency, which is 4.7 GHz. And also applies silly voltage.

Asus have no idea what sort of CPU you have of course. It could be rubbish in the silicone lottery. So it applies a high voltage that will work for even the worst chip.

You should definately turn off MCE. I'm pretty sure that will do the trick.

bass_junkie_xl
Level 11
bhorv67 wrote:
Hi all, looking for some guidance and overclocking tips for the Prime Z370-a mobo.

Out of the box and no changes to the latest bios, I'm finding the voltages to be a bit too high for my comfort level. At all stock settings, I'm looking at 1.47 on CPUz on the vcore. Temps are also really high.
I built this rig for flight simming using P3d v4.1. This app puts a lot of stress on the entire system. Temps i'm noticing are at the throttle level ~95c/100c. I'm using an H80i AIO cooler. Corsair link says the cooler temp is 53c. The air blowing out of the exhaust seems like it should be warmer for that high of a cpu temp. I just ordered an H100i v2 as I think the H80i can't keep up with the 8700k under load.

What I'd like to do is find some way to bring the voltage down. I'm pretty familiar with Asus mobos and bios, but the z370 has a lot more going on than I'm used to. I've made some minimal changes to the bios:

XMP (using GSkill Trident Z DDR4 3200 16g)
OC all cores @ 49
Voltage is set to adaptive mode @ 1.30 total

LLC - level 5

For some reason, making these changes has increased the voltage - CPUz shows 1.504v which really scares me. Temps are right at 100c, so something is not right.

Any suggestions to get this under control would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

i had the exact same issue with you man
i found my maximum over clock on my chip with manual vcore and i wanted to switch to adaptive with power saving @ 5 ghz
and i found a thread in this web site on the asus z370 sub forum on page 2 or 3 the heading was adaptive votege help .
he had same probleme u type the voltege in and it doesnt work u have to do a few things

look for SVID SUPPORT = ON
svid best case cinario

after those 2 settings what ever you type in for voltege will work for me 5 ghz 1.33v with llc =6 i get 1.35v on heavy load never more .

also if your crashing @ 4.9 ghz 1.32v you need more voltege and dont just assume its stable

run prime 95 26.6 version for etleast min 1 full hr of blend mode with 90% of ram typed in to custom
or min 1 hr of asus rela bench
after those run hci mem test app for 12 hrs while u sleep
with hci mem test u want to open as many windows of hci as u have cpu threads so 12 windows of dived by how much ( free ram u have in windows ) i had to use 1.25gb x 12 windows sicne windows was using 2.1gb .

if u cant pass etleast 1 hr of prime 95 26.6 blend or asus real bench 1 hr u need to add some voltege
Rig # 1 - 14900Ks SP-118 | 87 MC @ 6.0 GHZ | 5.2 R | 4.7 E | DDR5 48GB @ 8,600 c36 | Strix RTX 4090 | PG27AQN 1440P 27" 360 Hz G-Sync ULMB 2

Rig # 2 - 14900K-SP-120 | 89 MC @ 5.9 GHZ | 5.2 R | 4.7 E | DDR4 32GB @ 4,300 c15 | Strix RTX 3080 | Aoc 1080P 25" 240 Hz G-Sync

bhorv67
Level 8
Thanks for the help.

Thought I mentioned, but MCE was the first thing I noticed on stock settings and turned it off right away when I first installed the mobo. Had to do some research on what it was as earlier Asus Mobos didn't have that feature. But yes, you're right it was on by default (bad idea).

In some of the testing I was doing, I did have SVID /best case set, and LLC level 5 was causing too much voltage to be applied. I think something is not right with adaptive mode. The offset seems to apply more than is entered as a value. I had 1.32 as the voltage, and .08 as the offset - under load, CPUz was saying I was getting 1.503 for vcore. I confirmed the voltage on CPUz, Corsair Link and Asus AI suite - all reading the same.

Until I get the cooling under control (my H100i v2 is now delayed until next week. Grrrr), I may disable HT and see if that helps.

I also did some checking on the AIO block contact - seems the Prime Z370a is slightly thinner than the mobo I had prior. I had a few washers on the backplate and thought it was enough, I took off the cooler block and noticed the standoffs were a bit loose. I added another washer (there's 3 on there now) and now it's nice and snug. Did some simple tests with Cinebench, and still, the package temp is 100c under load, but I'm noticing the AIO temp is now a bit higher, so I did have a contact issue.

Regarding the bios - I noticed there's a beta version available for 5605. I have 0605 installed. Do you think it's wise to install a beta bios or wait until it releases? Kind of strange that 5605 was released as a beta after 0605 was a public release. Historically, the '5' bios, which is beta, is released before the full release - but in this case it wasn't.

bhorv67 wrote:
Thanks for the help.

Thought I mentioned, but MCE was the first thing I noticed on stock settings and turned it off right away when I first installed the mobo. Had to do some research on what it was as earlier Asus Mobos didn't have that feature. But yes, you're right it was on by default (bad idea).

Oh right. Fair enough. I read in another thread how some utilities are misreporting voltage. Might be worth checking that.

bhorv67 wrote:
Thanks for the help.

In some of the testing I was doing, I did have SVID /best case set, and LLC level 5 was causing too much voltage to be applied. I think something is not right with adaptive mode. The offset seems to apply more than is entered as a value. I had 1.32 as the voltage, and .08 as the offset - under load, CPUz was saying I was getting 1.503 for vcore. I confirmed the voltage on CPUz, Corsair Link and Asus AI suite - all reading the same.

Until I get the cooling under control (my H100i v2 is now delayed until next week. Grrrr), I may disable HT and see if that helps.

I also did some checking on the AIO block contact - seems the Prime Z370a is slightly thinner than the mobo I had prior. I had a few washers on the backplate and thought it was enough, I took off the cooler block and noticed the standoffs were a bit loose. I added another washer (there's 3 on there now) and now it's nice and snug. Did some simple tests with Cinebench, and still, the package temp is 100c under load, but I'm noticing the AIO temp is now a bit higher, so I did have a contact issue.

Regarding the bios - I noticed there's a beta version available for 5605. I have 0605 installed. Do you think it's wise to install a beta bios or wait until it releases? Kind of strange that 5605 was released as a beta after 0605 was a public release. Historically, the '5' bios, which is beta, is released before the full release - but in this case it wasn't.

i followed d8ers video but i used these settings 1st day and no issies for 4 weeks
adaptive mode 1.33v no offset
svid support on
svid best case cinario
cpu power 140%
loadline=6
5 ghz all cores
no anvx 5 ghz all cores
mce off

i have 1.33 and under loas like prime i get 1.345v -1.355v max
on games im 1.34v never more on adaptive and it drops to .800mhz / 0.8v idol since day one .

my cpuz reports 0.6v always misreads . i use hardware monitor and i dont have a vrm temps in any app on my asus x hero wifi
Rig # 1 - 14900Ks SP-118 | 87 MC @ 6.0 GHZ | 5.2 R | 4.7 E | DDR5 48GB @ 8,600 c36 | Strix RTX 4090 | PG27AQN 1440P 27" 360 Hz G-Sync ULMB 2

Rig # 2 - 14900K-SP-120 | 89 MC @ 5.9 GHZ | 5.2 R | 4.7 E | DDR4 32GB @ 4,300 c15 | Strix RTX 3080 | Aoc 1080P 25" 240 Hz G-Sync

bhorv67 wrote:

Hello

Adaptive voltage mode works fine if the board is set up properly and one is not relying on inaccurate software reported voltage values.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?97040-Looking-for-adaptive-settings-for-i7-8700k-(on-a-Asu...