cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Zenith Extreme, 1950 … not shutting down/restarting

Philipp_H
Level 7
Hi all
I have Windows 1703 installed on a NVME Raid 0, Bios 0902, latest drivers in a "be quiet Dark Base Pro 900" tower. So far (with some hassles) Windows is working fine. However when doing a restart or shutdown the system hangs and does not shutdown or restart. I have to hit the reset button to do a restart or press the switch to shut off. This was already the case during Windows installation. When Windows tried a restart to continue the setup I had to do a manual reset to continue.
Does anyone else observe this problem? Anyone an idea what this could be?
Thanks
Philipp
11 REPLIES 11

spadizzle
Level 7
Just recently observed this with mine and for the life of me, I can not remember what I did to correct it.

Do me a favor, disconnect your power cord and let your computer sit for like 30 seconds, its something silly simple. Let me know if it works.

If that doesn't work, reset your bios settings and re enter them. If anything else comes to mind, I will post back.

vsimone67
Level 7
Philipp_H wrote:
Hi all
I have Windows 1703 installed on a NVME Raid 0, Bios 0902, latest drivers in a "be quiet Dark Base Pro 900" tower. So far (with some hassles) Windows is working fine. However when doing a restart or shutdown the system hangs and does not shutdown or restart. I have to hit the reset button to do a restart or press the switch to shut off. This was already the case during Windows installation. When Windows tried a restart to continue the setup I had to do a manual reset to continue.
Does anyone else observe this problem? Anyone an idea what this could be?
Thanks
Philipp

Are you running Hyper-V? If so there could be some virtuals handing on shutdown (this has happened to me).

Philipp_H
Level 7
No, I'm not running Hyper-V ... I am actually planning to do this, but currently only Windows 10 is installed. I changed the PSU, but this did not fix the problem. Still, when shutting down or trying to do a restart the system hangs and has to be reset. At the moment I am at a loss.

Philipp_H
Level 7
I have to correct my statement. The system is "not not" shutting down, but it takes 5 minutes (more or less exactly) to shut down, restart or hibernate. While shutting down or hibernating there is sporadic HD activity, then around 10 seconds before shutting off, there is continuous HD activity, then the system shuts of. In case of a restart there is no HD activity, the system just hangs for 5 minutes and then restarts.

5 minutes for a shutdown or restart is ridiculous ...

Any idea what this can be?

Philipp_H
Level 7
Addition: Having the problem in a RAID configuration as described above, I broke up my configuration and reinstalled Windows plain on one of the nvme (Samsung 960 Pro) SSDs. Windows installed but the system was not sable and hanged here and then. I found out that there is a newer bios for the Samsung ssd and installed it. After this the system became stable. I will now continue and configure a boot raid again. So I suggest updating any Samsung 960 pro to the latest bios if you observe system stability problems.

JoeCos
Level 7
Seems I am having the same issue. My workstation (ZExtreme/TR 1950x/Windows 10 Pro on NVME M.2 Sams 1TB).

My PC will shutdown no problem. It's the 'restart' that it hangs forever. So I have to manually press the restart button on my computer to restart and complete the cycle.

I will continue to experiment to see if I can fix this

JoeCos wrote:
Seems I am having the same issue. My workstation (ZExtreme/TR 1950x/Windows 10 Pro on NVME M.2 Sams 1TB).

My PC will shutdown no problem. It's the 'restart' that it hangs forever. So I have to manually press the restart button on my computer to restart and complete the cycle.

I will continue to experiment to see if I can fix this

I got smthing similar to your problem is like everytime I restart pc, spininig circle hangs for2-3 seconds and then screen comes up. I hope you find solution to your's problem 🙂

Philipp_H
Level 7
I suggest to check if there is a newer bios for the Samsung MVME. This can be done by installing Samsung Magician from here. In the tool it will tell you if a newer version of the bios exists and if yes, will allow you to install it.

I have had this happen 3 times. 2 of them, I had to do a reinstall for unrelated reasons and it worked again after. The other time was when I disabled HPET, and it started working again when I re-enabled it.