cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage Extreme VI causing computer freeze!?

D3ATHMACHINE
Level 7
So I built a new PC with the Extreme VI and every seemed to work fine at first. Used the computer for a couple of hours no problem. Then all of the sudden my PC froze. Screen completely frozen with still image on screen. With no response from any devices. Had to hold power button to hard reset PC. Everything came back on no problem. I keep having the issue. It's not dependent on PC load happens sometimes when gaming and other times when just idle listening to music. The MOB LED lights and display OLED also freezes. I suspect that its something to do with the mother board because I've seen other people post about the issue as well with running the new intl i9-7980XE. I swapped the RAM out with my old PC ram to verify it wasn't the ram and it still froze. Thought maybe it was a powersupply issue as im only running a 850 watt. But I installed corsair link for the PSU and monitored wattage usage whilst playing games and everything and I never reached about 500 Watts. Now the only other thing that I think it may be is a driver for the intel Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 Driver because its the only driver thats not working but i disabled it since i couldnt figure out what was wrong. Any ideas?
10 REPLIES 10

Hopper64
Level 15
Might be this too:

*https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?97643-Samsung-firmware-update/page2

Are you overclocking the CPU or memory?*
MZ790A Bios 2002, GSkill F5-8000J3848H16GX2-TZRK, 13900KS, EKWB D5 TBE 300, Seasonic Prime TX-1600 ATX 3.0, Asus Strix 4090 w/ Optimus block, Phanteks Enthoo Elite, Asus Claymore 2, Asus Gladius 3, Asus XG349C, Samsung 990, Windows 11 Pro

JustinThyme
Level 13
What BIOS are you running? For 7980XE needs to be 1002 or later.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
What BIOS are you running? For 7980XE needs to be 1002 or later.

Was running 0809 but went ahead and updated to 1004 and did a few minor tweaks for OC and now I haven't had the crash in 48 hours. Cross my fingers. But I think all is good now. Thanks

D3ATHMACHINE wrote:
Was running 0809 but went ahead and updated to 1004 and did a few minor tweaks for OC and now I haven't had the crash in 48 hours. Cross my fingers. But I think all is good now. Thanks

I got the same problem with my mobo (random freezes). I am using 1004 now. Sometimes I still got “CODE:80 detect memory” code on mobo and freeze at start up. I will try to clock my ram to 3000 or lower as my rams are 3200. *Not sure if it helps or not.

Tonychaiwong wrote:
I got the same problem with my mobo (random freezes). I am using 1004 now. Sometimes I still got “CODE:80 detect memory” code on mobo and freeze at start up. I will try to clock my ram to 3000 or lower as my rams are 3200. *Not sure if it helps or not.

Tonychaiwong,
You should start your own thread for more help, 128GB probably requires some manual tuning to run at XMP with stability

Dual 1080ti KPE's and 5K monitor, a little jealous here 🙂

D3ATHMACHINE wrote:

DEATHMACINE,
Glad to hear it's going well, some manual tweaking should be expected using memory of this speed
How is that Vid card, I installed a the AIO kit on my 1080 FTW and really enjoy the silence and low temps

Aysberg
Level 10
Because of my 1080 Ti dilemma, I am running my system currently on stock. BIOS 1004 and still got those kind of freezes described in the first post from time to time. Nearly every component was exchanged or extensively tested in other configurations. Only which is the same is my Rampage VI and the 7980XE.

This combination simply does not work stable out of the box without tweaking, which is something for people who see a PC as a hobby to play with. I need a stable machine for work 😞

In the past we had a much faster BIOS release circle with new chipsets.

BTW I can make my system a bit more stable by giving more voltage to the RAM. But my RAM modules are listed on the QVL, I even got an replacement set from G.SKILL and I am running them on slow timings and not the 3200CL14 XMP profile.

LiveOrDie
Level 11
D3ATHMACHINE wrote:
So I built a new PC with the Extreme VI and every seemed to work fine at first. Used the computer for a couple of hours no problem. Then all of the sudden my PC froze. Screen completely frozen with still image on screen. With no response from any devices. Had to hold power button to hard reset PC. Everything came back on no problem. I keep having the issue. It's not dependent on PC load happens sometimes when gaming and other times when just idle listening to music. The MOB LED lights and display OLED also freezes. I suspect that its something to do with the mother board because I've seen other people post about the issue as well with running the new intl i9-7980XE. I swapped the RAM out with my old PC ram to verify it wasn't the ram and it still froze. Thought maybe it was a powersupply issue as im only running a 850 watt. But I installed corsair link for the PSU and monitored wattage usage whilst playing games and everything and I never reached about 500 Watts. Now the only other thing that I think it may be is a driver for the intel Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 Driver because its the only driver thats not working but i disabled it since i couldnt figure out what was wrong. Any ideas?

I had this same issue it turned out to be USB related, make sure you install the asmedia USB3.0 drivers you will have to do these manually, and you mite also have to find the device creating this issue for me it was my monitors USB hub.

I have a similar issue. The board crashed when I tried to access the board USB ports through the front panel. Plug in any usb device and instant crash. About to update the USB driver but I need to unistall the old driver first. what a pia...
Mark