ROG Member Array

G.Skill RAM Stuck on during sleep?

I recently had a problem of not getting the software to run on a fresh build and fresh OS install. That has since been remedied with 2 OS re-installs.

The software now runs, and I am able to set profiles, and edit colors and settings. Unfortunately however, I cannot seem to get my G.Skill ram to turn off once the machine has been put to sleep.

I have the shutdown enabled within Aura, and I have the LED setting enabled in BIOS to shut down too. Everything else shuts down (Mobo and Ryzen fan), yet the ram will stay on and stuck on whatever color was cycling as the system went to sleep. Is there a fix for this? And please don't say re-install my Operating System....

Specs are as follows(with clickable links to more details):
    Motherboard: rog strix x370-f
    BIOS version: 3401
    Processor: Ryzen 1700
    Memory kit: G.Skill 3000mhz
    Graphics card: Not Aura Supported (Nvidia 1070)
    Mouse: Naga 2014
    Keyboard: Blackwidow Chroma
    Cooling solution: Stock Ryzen Cooler
    Aura version: 1.05.28

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Menthol PC Specs
    Menthol PC Specs
    MotherboardM 10 Apex / XI gene
    Processor8700K / 9900K
    Memory (part number)2x8 Gskill Trident Z 4266/2x2x8 Gskill Trident Z 4500
    Graphics Card #1RTX 2080ti / GTX 1060
    Sound CardSoundBlaster Ae5 / Onboard
    MonitorBENQ 32" 4K
    Storage #1Intel 900p 480GB/Samsung 960 Pro 1TB
    Storage #2Intel 750 1.2TB/Plextor 1 TB 2X 950 Pro
    CPU CoolerCorsair H150i AIO / H1110i
    CaseCorsair 740 ? Lian Li Air
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1200i / AX 1200i
    Keyboard Corsair
    Mouse ASUS Strix
    Headset HyperX Cloud Alpha
    Mouse Pad ASUS
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z906
    OS 10 X64 Pro
    Network RouterVerizon Fios
    Accessory #1 Intel Wifi BT pcie card
    Accessory #2 Red Bull
    Accessory #3 English Breakfast Tea

That is how it has worked for me on both Z270 and Z370 motherboards, I assume the LED's on the memory cannot be turned off during sleep mode

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Menthol View Post
    That is how it has worked for me on both Z270 and Z370 motherboards, I assume the LED's on the memory cannot be turned off during sleep mode
    I'm quite certain I've seen the ram turn off if you don't run the software or set profiles. Before I got the software to work they would shut off on sleep

However once set I can't seem to figure out how to undo it to test

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Trust me... I dig this as it bother me a lot. Hardware limitation they said...
    They don't turn off if they are powered on.

The only way is to switch to hibernate instead of sleep. Then they will turn off... Sadly.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by namoi View Post
    Trust me... I dig this as it bother me a lot. Hardware limitation they said...
    They don't turn off if they are powered on.

The only way is to switch to hibernate instead of sleep. Then they will turn off... Sadly.
    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...f-during-sleep - According to this it just doesn't work... However that would mean that installing AURA does something to the BIOS? because before I was able to install it the ram WOULD go off if I put it to sleep.

Hibernation is a silly solution, as this thread mentions turning it off via AURA will do the trick. It's easier than hibernation, easier on load times (Or writes if you use SSD), and faster. I still don't like that I have to use the software EVERY time I sleep and wake my computer...Idk about this batch stuff though :|

Oh, Hey! It's you! XD I take it then you haven't gotten that batch thing or the off switch in aura to work for you?
    Last edited by Mikmik91; 12-31-2017 at 01:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zachary.huch View Post
    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...f-during-sleep - According to this it just doesn't work... However that would mean that installing AURA does something to the BIOS? because before I was able to install it the ram WOULD go off if I put it to sleep.

Hibernation is a silly solution, as this thread mentions turning it off via AURA will do the trick. It's easier than hibernation, easier on load times (Or writes if you use SSD), and faster. I still don't like that I have to use the software EVERY time I sleep and wake my computer...Idk about this batch stuff though :|

Oh, Hey! It's you! XD I take it then you haven't gotten that batch thing or the off switch in aura to work for you?
    Yep.
    But are you really sure they turned off before?

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by namoi View Post
    Yep.
    But are you really sure they turned off before?
    T_T It's going to take me some time to make space on my drives to spin up another fresh Win10 install, or at least throw in my spare drive; I'd rather not try uninstalling to check...I literally just got it working and now you want me to break it to test. XD

I'm like, 95% certain that after setting the option in BIOS, before I ever managed to get Aura installed(because all it did was crash at launch), the RAM would indeed turn off once asleep. But I had to enable it first in BIOS. Now, even though it's enabled; whether I use the ShutDown tab in Aura, or exit Aura completely while killing the lighteffects service, my RAM will still stay on when asleep. It won't cycle colors, just sit there with whatever colors it was displaying before shut down.
    Last edited by Mikmik91; 12-31-2017 at 01:22 PM.

No... I didn't ask to reformat your build of course :-D
    I was just a little insistent as i build my own not two months ago and i didn't remember my trident to shutdown at sleep before installing aura.

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array AkaNe0 PC Specs
    AkaNe0 PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus X Formula
    Processori7-8700K
    Memory (part number)G.skill Trident-Z RGB
    Graphics Card #1Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    CaseOpenBenchtable
    Power SupplySeasonic PRIME Platinum 1000W
    Keyboard ROG Claymore
    Mouse ROG Pugio

Quote Originally Posted by zachary.huch View Post
    I recently had a problem of not getting the software to run on a fresh build and fresh OS install. That has since been remedied with 2 OS re-installs.

The software now runs, and I am able to set profiles, and edit colors and settings. Unfortunately however, I cannot seem to get my G.Skill ram to turn off once the machine has been put to sleep.

I have the shutdown enabled within Aura, and I have the LED setting enabled in BIOS to shut down too. Everything else shuts down (Mobo and Ryzen fan), yet the ram will stay on and stuck on whatever color was cycling as the system went to sleep. Is there a fix for this? And please don't say re-install my Operating System....

Specs are as follows(with clickable links to more details):
    Motherboard: rog strix x370-f
    BIOS version: 3401
    Processor: Ryzen 1700
    Memory kit: G.Skill 3000mhz
    Graphics card: Not Aura Supported (Nvidia 1070)
    Mouse: Naga 2014
    Keyboard: Blackwidow Chroma
    Cooling solution: Stock Ryzen Cooler
    Aura version: 1.05.28
    Please refer to this thread.

When it's going to sleep the EC of the RAM cannot be controlled. So unless, you set them off before going to sleep, it's not possible on our side.
    And don't forget, Keep pushing it !