cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC edition temperatures

mathewjknott
Level 7
What sort of temperatures should I be looking for my 1080ti oc to be running at?

My PC is in our living room so I'm wanting to set some custom fan curves for my graphics card and case fans to keep the system as quiet as possible but on the other hand I do not want to overheat the graphics card leading it to an early grave.

I have my power limit set to 120% and Temp limit set to 90 in MSI Afterburner

What temperatures should I be looking to keep the card under to not affect performance?

• Idle
  • 4K Gaming
  • Thermal Throttling at
  • Dangerious temperature
16 REPLIES 16

JustinThyme
Level 13
These cards were meant to run tp like 55C before the fans even spin up by default. Max temp before it throttles is like 105C.
I dont like mine to run anywhere near throttleing speed. A cool core is a happy core.
Any reason you're not using GPU Tweak? Ive had better luck with it over an MSI app. They just put out a new release that is giving me the best results yet.
Easy to set a fan curve in GPU Tweak.
This is just an arbitrary default curve. I dont use it as I have water blocks on my cards and they have never seen higher than 55C and idle aroud 32-35C.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
These cards were meant to run tp like 55C before the fans even spin up by default. Max temp before it throttles is like 105C.
I dont like mine to run anywhere near throttleing speed. A cool core is a happy core.
Any reason you're not using GPU Tweak? Ive had better luck with it over an MSI app. They just put out a new release that is giving me the best results yet.
Easy to set a fan curve in GPU Tweak.
This is just an arbitrary default curve. I dont use it as I have water blocks on my cards and they have never seen higher than 55C and idle aroud 32-35C.

Thanks for that

Menthol
Level 14
There are numerous temperature points that down clock Pascal by a bin point, I believe that's 13mhz per bin, these can start as low as 40 to 60 degrees and are set by Nvidia not by card manufacturer. The card will not let you damage it with any settings as there protections set by Nvidia to compensate, voltage increases do not give any gain on Pascal without extreme cooling and are best left alone
Tolerance to noise is different for everyone and will decide what settings you make, ASUS has one of the best heatsinks and keeps the card as cool as possible on air
GPU Tweak has three presets that work very well, Silent mode, Gaming mode, and OC mode to make things simple for the end user
If you are the type of person in pursuit of every single FPS then there are small gains to be had but settings could be different for each game you play making the presets much easier and more attractive to use

I have the same card, and i have set my GPU tweak to OC mode, and i disabled the silent mode in the top right corner.

Idle temp is arround 20-25c depending on room temp, and playing pubg for hours the highest temp ive seen is 67c, and it normally stays on 64-65c with the fan profile on auto and all settings to ultra ingame.

I currently seem to be having some problems with heat.

My card is sitting at 55c while idle and goes up to around 56 - 70c while 4k gaming.

Any idea what would be making it so warm while idle?

Hardware monitor is showing GPU power at around 26% while idle, could it be this?

Menthol
Level 14
Sounds like something is not letting your card go to idle state as your gaming temp is fine

any idea what it could be or where to check?

on windows 10 task manager it shows almost no use when idle.

mathewjknott wrote:
any idea what it could be or where to check?

on windows 10 task manager it shows almost no use when idle.

Set the 0dB fan button in GPU Tweak to Off. Also if running 144Hz or higher, setting a desktop refresh rate of 120Hz or lower may force the card into a lower power state.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Did you set youre powersettings to Maximal power? when you rightclick desktop and go to the nvidia panel.

On my system, that does not work as it should, and it dosent let my card idle. So i keep it on Optimal power and im hoping for a fix soon.