Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Administrator Array Silent Scone@ROG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mathewjknott View Post
    I had yes. I have set all options to default again but it hasnt made any difference.

I set the fans to off mode as well but i dont see how this would make the card go into idle mode.

Would my monitor setup be the cause at all? I have 3 monitors, 1 is 4k and the other 2 are 1280x1024
    Test with only the 4K panel connected, if the card is getting stuck in a higher power state it's almost always due to the load being put on it.

New ROGer Array

Thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    These cards were meant to run tp like 55C before the fans even spin up by default. Max temp before it throttles is like 105C.
    I dont like mine to run anywhere near throttleing speed. A cool core is a happy core.
    Any reason you're not using GPU Tweak? Ive had better luck with it over an MSI app. They just put out a new release that is giving me the best results yet.
    Easy to set a fan curve in GPU Tweak.
    This is just an arbitrary default curve. I dont use it as I have water blocks on my cards and they have never seen higher than 55C and idle aroud 32-35C.

Attachment 70024
    Thanks for that

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Deepcuts PC Specs
    Deepcuts PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus X HERO BIOS 1901
    ProcessorIntel i7 8700K @ 4.7Ghz 1.215V
    Memory (part number)CMR32GX4M4C3466C16 @ 3200Mhz 1.360V
    Graphics Card #1Asus Strix GTX 1080Ti OC 11GB
    Sound CardCreative Omni 5.1 USB
    MonitorDell 24' S2417DG
    Storage #1Samsung EVO 960 nvme 500 GB
    Storage #2Seagate NAS 8TBx2
    CPU CoolerNZXT Kraken X62
    CaseFractal Design Define R5 Black
    Power SupplyCorsair AXi760
    Keyboard Razer DeathStalker Chroma
    Mouse Razer Abyssus
    OS Windows 10
    Network RouterMikrotik

High idle temps might be caused by your browser also. Your browser most likely uses hardware acceleration, thus using a bit of your GPU.
    My Strix 1080 ti OC with 0db fan idles around 55-57 Celsius while having a browser open.
    With 0db fan disabled, idles at around 35-39 Celsius with the browser open.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Sprayingmango PC Specs
    Sprayingmango PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)2021 MacBook Pro M1
    MotherboardCrosshair VIII Dark Hero X570
    Processor5950X
    Memory (part number)G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3600 32GB
    Graphics Card #1EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3090 Hybrid
    MonitorTriple Asus PG27UQ G-Sync
    Storage #1Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB NVME
    Storage #2Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME
    CPU CoolerCorsair H150i Capillex
    CaseCorsair 1000D
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1600i
    Keyboard Logitech G915
    Mouse Logitech G Pro Lightspeed
    Headset No...just no. Sennheiser HD650s
    Mouse Pad Logitech PowerPlay
    Headset/Speakers Denon 7.2 Atmos w/ Polk Signature Series
    OS Win10 Pro 20H2
    Network RouterAsus Rog Rapture AX11000 x4

I have a question regarding the STRIX 1080Ti OC cards. I have two of them in SLI on a new Rampage VI Extreme that I built up last night running a 7900X. I have a new H115i Pro on the 7900X, I have a modded Corsair Carbide Air 740 case with 3 Corsair LL140 fans on intake, two LL140 fans on my top Radiator and 1 LL140 fan on exhaust. I seem to have an air pocket forming around my top 1080Ti, the card will go up to 84*C while the bottom card sits at 68*C with both cards showing 99% usage while gaming. The fan speeds for both cards stay relatively low using the "OC" profile on GPU Tweak. Will this damage my top card? I'm not sure what else I can do to fix this other than get a new case, it's tough to find a case that has provisions for 140mm fans all around.

Administrator Array Silent Scone@ROG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sprayingmango View Post
    I have a question regarding the STRIX 1080Ti OC cards. I have two of them in SLI on a new Rampage VI Extreme that I built up last night running a 7900X. I have a new H115i Pro on the 7900X, I have a modded Corsair Carbide Air 740 case with 3 Corsair LL140 fans on intake, two LL140 fans on my top Radiator and 1 LL140 fan on exhaust. I seem to have an air pocket forming around my top 1080Ti, the card will go up to 84*C while the bottom card sits at 68*C with both cards showing 99% usage while gaming. The fan speeds for both cards stay relatively low using the "OC" profile on GPU Tweak. Will this damage my top card? I'm not sure what else I can do to fix this other than get a new case, it's tough to find a case that has provisions for 140mm fans all around.
    When in SLI the top card will always run hotter, especially with 2 slot spacing. Below 85C is fine, however, you can obviously adjust the fan profile to be more aggressive if you'd rather it ran cooler.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Exalanoto View Post
    Did you set youre power settings to Maximal power? when you rightclick desktop and go to the nvidia panel.

On my system, that does not work as it should, and it dosent let my card idle. So i keep it on Optimal power and im hoping for a fix soon.
    Same here my card idles at 50-65 Celsius when nvidias control panel has power management set to "prefer optimal power" but if i change this to "adaptive" setting then hit apply or save then this is mandatory shutdown pc and then restart and it then idles around 30-35 Celsius.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by mathewjknott View Post
    I had yes. I have set all options to default again but it hasnt made any difference.

I set the fans to off mode as well but i dont see how this would make the card go into idle mode.

Would my monitor setup be the cause at all? I have 3 monitors, 1 is 4k and the other 2 are 1280x1024
    make sure in nvidias control panel in global setting power management is set to "adaptive" then make sure you click apply after changing it down on lower right of control panel then you have to restart pc for it to take effect. i have had this same issue on the evga 1070ftw and on this strix 1080 ti oc this solution worked on both that had high idle temps. hope it works for you

this is with gaming mode and 0db fan on and all stock auto fan settings for gpu tweak 2
    Last edited by bimms; 02-06-2018 at 03:25 PM. Reason: added info

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2