cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failing my son ... someone help a father plz

Allieboy
Level 7
My son got a vive for xmas. I have rogue with i7 and 960gpu. Computer should be fine to run vive. I need to have 2 HDMI on the gpu. Mine has 1. so i picked up a dvi cable so that would run monitor and the hdmi from vive would use hdmi slot on gpu.

I have no outpit from dvi. I ordered a DisplayPort to DisplayPort 1.2 Adapter Cable M/M to go from vive to gpu so therefore hdmi to monitor.

any ideas why dvi did not work out to monitor? worried card is bad

Will i have the same problem with DisplayPort to DisplayPort 1.2 Adapter Cable M/M?

Am i missing anything?

Thanks and Happy New Year
6 REPLIES 6

Menthol
Level 14
Sorry to hear that as no father wants to fail there children
I don't know for sure but a 960 sounds like a minimal requirement for VR. Hope that works out for your son.
DVI cable should work on monitor to 1080p, DVI-D supports higher resolution but not 4K
Displayport, DP has become the preferred standard as it supports up to 4k at 60hz and should also be fine for monitor

meankeys
Level 13
There are several DVI cables -Look at the card and look at the cable. they have to match-did you get one of those DVI adapters with your 960?

Been there done that. Good luck

JustinThyme
Level 13
Download and run the steam *VR test. You may just be a bit on the weak side.*
Also when you start introducing adapters it’s asking for problems. *

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

So it was the DVI cable i learned not all are created equal. But the display port i had overnighted worked and he is very happy. I will check the FPS but he says its fine.
Thanks all for your input
Meankeys ... nice call

meankeys
Level 13
NP - Glad I could help 🙂

Menthol
Level 14
Excellent, if he says it's fine best to let him play and be happy