cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Game runs like trash on powerful computer!

whatcorey
Level 7
if any admin see the popping issue post in gaming, please remove it as I have resolved it, however this post was meant to be directed towards far cry 3 as the other post duplicated the title name twice, anyway made a similar post in far cry 3 discussions on steam, but got no help at all and just ignorant answers with people saying "works fine for me idk what your prolem is." Anyway My framerate for this game is jumping and dropping all the time, very annoying even though i have a top notch graphics card. nvidia gtx 1070 8gb. any ideas? regardless if i have vsync on or off, my drivers are fully updated. If i have vsync on, I get around 90fps but it drops to 60 and goes to 100 and all over the place, making the game look very laggy, if anyone knows anything on how to tweak the game please let me know, there is no reason why it should be running this bad, also I my computer has G-sync.
9 REPLIES 9

JustinThyme
Level 13
Please list full specs*

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Please list full specs*

asus rog GL702VS
32 gigs of ram
i7 processor
NVidia GeForce gtx 1070 8gb
2.8 ghz-3.8
windows 10 home
1 terabyte SSD
1 terabyte HDD

ezeht
Level 7
Hi,

I posted in this thread about game performance and the same things might help you.. I will also say FC 3 and many uplay games are not very well optimized and can run pretty chitty at times and is well known and is a part of playing them- is just the way it is.. FC3 I know for a fact runs best if restart your system and turn off back ground stuff other than your firewall and even opening steam home page or browser can cause the game to act up- memory leaks or what ever but is just the facts.. The less you have running or trying to do extra tasks etc the better the game will run and the longer it will do so..

unless I am wrong your lap top has a gsync monitor so that means you need to check nv drivers and make sure its turned on and in game turn off vsync and being a lap top you need make sure its on a flat surface and or have a lap top cooler to rest it on- it needs to breath well but even so its a lap top and can have heating probs and a game like fc3 with maxed settings will work it.. No matter what fc3 does not run well all the time- you need to get use to it.. Ubsoft is much like Bethesda and some others that put out bug games and might not ever fix them and they can not care less but many games have modders that do more to fix the games than them that make or put them out- ub is no stranger to poor running games and is pretty sad... You can google Tweak Guide for many games and tells you what every setting in game does.. I normally turn off motion blur and in sound turn off eax if has the setting- eax has caused problems since it came out.. Being that I record a lot I turn off in game music but I think it adds a little more performance also.. I max all other settings..

W10 really sucks- I mean really and you need to watch it and check your drivers often.. I install nv drivers and only install the graphics driver and PhysX.. W10 will change my drivers and install everything in the package.. You need to also right click on the sound icon on your task bar and go into playback and recording devices and see what windows has turned on-you have to right click such things and turn them on off etc.. I set up as speakers analog only on- w10 will turn on that and digi and monitor and nv sound and everything else and I have to disable it all or you can have popping etc.. I normally delete my nv and sound drivers and install it all and set it back up as I like but first I disconnect from the net so w10 will not try and install crap while I am- and for my nv drivers I click the button for clean install- might even before do that go to program files and delete the nv folder and then install my drivers.. Also w10 will turn off stereo mix and I have to turn it back on.. W10 is on purpose trying to ruin our day and they think they are cute..

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?98218-100-CPU-usage-in-game-using-i5-7600k-4-7ghz-(Overwat...

ezeht wrote:
Hi,

I posted in this thread about game performance and the same things might help you.. I will also say FC 3 and many uplay games are not very well optimized and can run pretty chitty at times and is well known and is a part of playing them- is just the way it is.. FC3 I know for a fact runs best if restart your system and turn off back ground stuff other than your firewall and even opening steam home page or browser can cause the game to act up- memory leaks or what ever but is just the facts.. The less you have running or trying to do extra tasks etc the better the game will run and the longer it will do so..

unless I am wrong your lap top has a gsync monitor so that means you need to check nv drivers and make sure its turned on and in game turn off vsync and being a lap top you need make sure its on a flat surface and or have a lap top cooler to rest it on- it needs to breath well but even so its a lap top and can have heating probs and a game like fc3 with maxed settings will work it.. No matter what fc3 does not run well all the time- you need to get use to it.. Ubsoft is much like Bethesda and some others that put out bug games and might not ever fix them and they can not care less but many games have modders that do more to fix the games than them that make or put them out- ub is no stranger to poor running games and is pretty sad... You can google Tweak Guide for many games and tells you what every setting in game does.. I normally turn off motion blur and in sound turn off eax if has the setting- eax has caused problems since it came out.. Being that I record a lot I turn off in game music but I think it adds a little more performance also.. I max all other settings..

W10 really sucks- I mean really and you need to watch it and check your drivers often.. I install nv drivers and only install the graphics driver and PhysX.. W10 will change my drivers and install everything in the package.. You need to also right click on the sound icon on your task bar and go into playback and recording devices and see what windows has turned on-you have to right click such things and turn them on off etc.. I set up as speakers analog only on- w10 will turn on that and digi and monitor and nv sound and everything else and I have to disable it all or you can have popping etc.. I normally delete my nv and sound drivers and install it all and set it back up as I like but first I disconnect from the net so w10 will not try and install crap while I am- and for my nv drivers I click the button for clean install- might even before do that go to program files and delete the nv folder and then install my drivers.. Also w10 will turn off stereo mix and I have to turn it back on.. W10 is on purpose trying to ruin our day and they think they are cute..

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?98218-100-CPU-usage-in-game-using-i5-7600k-4-7ghz-(Overwat...

i was afraid that would be an answer, ah well thats okay. Im having a problem on minecraft right now and nobody on minecraft support is helpful at all, most are very rude that just say get a better computer, thing is, i cant even run around or play the dang game because it stutters and pauses every 5 steps i take, stop, go, stop, go...:/

ezeht
Level 7
Hmm unless I am wrong MC is a dx9 game and should run like a champ.. PC and or w10 or a few extra probs with lap tops has pretty typical problems and have been known and talked about since the start of pc gaming and people seem to forget a lot the newer the hardware is.. It does not matter- the old probs can still pop up even with the most powerful system and ssd what ever.. A lot of the actual probs are sound related or back ground stuff running and or trying to update and downloading while you play- or people do not restart their system enough or sometimes its even better to shut it off completely and let it sit for maybe 3 minutes and then start it- and people think because they can be in the os 20 seconds after starting with a ssd they start doing what ever and can make it run slower and lag or stutter trying to open a browser or changing tabs in it.. Some programs or security are timed to wait nearly a minute or more and check for updates and start at system boot and does not matter if your ssd can start windows in 10 seconds and if you mess with the computer before everything has a chance to start and do what ever can jam it up.. If not for gaming and dx12 I need no computer and would never touch another windows system after how they do us with w10.. As said after an update a few months ago my asus sound does not start silently anymore and uac jams it and my vid controls up and can make my system by default not run right because of it- again the system is not allowed to start and run normally until everything is ready to go.. The sound etc are part of the system and should start and run clean in the back ground and not have to give uac an ok but w10 does what ever when ever it wants and is forced on us and sucks azz..

I would google ''minecraft stutters and pauses on new modern computer and NV 1070 and w10''- or change the wording a few ways if needed.. I will guess you will get hits and can maybe figure out what the probs are.. Some games or programs and I know for sure some of my recording programs worked best on older drivers and if update to newer vid drivers might not work at all.. Yah a new just out game might need the new drivers but might ruin everything older and installed and using before.. So as has been said if not broken do not try to fix it or install new drivers or bios what ever just because they are out- and wait to see if others have problems- only update if you have real probs or need..

I install and play lots of games all the time and in last few months collecting cards to lev up on steam I have installed and played a few hours in around 160 games on top of what I always have installed and play.. The games ran from dx8 to dx12 and all run fine for me but at the same time I am not anal and feel I have to have a set number of fps like lots of people and when I record its normally at 30fps so if my game play is smooth with all maxed settings I am happy.. I do not care if its 30fps or 300 as long as its smooth game play and no tearing etc- Some games do not wish to run well if playing dif games back to back but is common and a restart fixes it and as said I install nothing that uses micro sun java and never will..

I have also from time to time read that some vid cards for what ever reasons have more probs in games than others and is no real good reason for it and I think 1070s are one of those cards and some games are picky about over clocked hardware and for certain games it might be best to dial back vid card clocks to what stock settings on the basic cards might be- its a little bit of a pain to have to go into vid card controls and set back for a game and back up for normal use but is not like pulling teeth and can make the game you are trying to play run more as it should.. Some games do not like oc cpu's either..

I read your op again.. I also have gsync- it works better than vsync and for it to work- first you need make sure its on in the nv panel and from in game you have to turn off vsync and turn off if has the setting lock to 60hrz.. I finished and deleted fc3 about a month ago- tho my system does not have 3 titanx cards its still not bad.. I will say fc3 would from time to time start to lag for no real reason as can lots of games but many times if I look hard enough I find that windows has downloaded an update and is waiting a restart or something along those lines- or because I often play a few games back to back a simple restart is needed.. I also notice in some games if open steams overlay at all can make some games start to lag.. Not all games etc run perfect all the time and is not yours or the systems fault- its a machine and w10 or some games are not at their best and you have to get use to it.. Clearing your browser cache- disc clean up- trim your drive- turn off extra back ground stuff all helps as much today on new systems as did on older ones no matter what some might try and say- its just the facts.. I like to turn off auto updates or drive trim and set to manual because chit like that if in game the system thinks its idle will start doing that crap and guess what- you get lag etc and wonder why..

Oh yes Another thing I just found by accident in the last few weeks and did not know about and been using my system for a year now is the fact that or for my pc.. I have asus sonic suite that starts or now uac stops and waits for me to click ok and then starts.. I thought was all that I had to think about but oh no-- if go to w10 control panel [type control panel in to search] to realtek hd audio manager- it also has its own Asus settings for eq and sound ef and room correction and other things and can help dial in better sound.. I did not know that and thought that the suite that opens on my task bar was all to it other than windows settings I talked about in my earlier post.. Mobos I have used in the past 1 button carries you into all sound settings but they was not asus mobos and to be honest I think this will be my last asus mobo.. I always used Abit and my last was a MSI and all in house programs and bios worked like they should and I always liked w7 and xp- I skipped w8 and vista and wish I could do the same for w10.. All my older systems always worked as they should and or the few basic programs I did install use like usb and lan and bios and sound and monitoring.. All my older mobos have way better than the 50% ratings this and most all asus mobos have today.. I have always built my own and am literally afraid to update anything driver or bios or suite asus puts out and is pretty sad for a said high name company..

Sorry I might not have helped much but I try a lot harder than just a 120 character tweet most might if at all give yah 🙂

ezeht wrote:
Hmm unless I am wrong MC is a dx9 game and should run like a champ.. PC and or w10 or a few extra probs with lap tops has pretty typical problems and have been known and talked about since the start of pc gaming and people seem to forget a lot the newer the hardware is.. It does not matter- the old probs can still pop up even with the most powerful system and ssd what ever.. A lot of the actual probs are sound related or back ground stuff running and or trying to update and downloading while you play- or people do not restart their system enough or sometimes its even better to shut it off completely and let it sit for maybe 3 minutes and then start it- and people think because they can be in the os 20 seconds after starting with a ssd they start doing what ever and can make it run slower and lag or stutter trying to open a browser or changing tabs in it.. Some programs or security are timed to wait nearly a minute or more and check for updates and start at system boot and does not matter if your ssd can start windows in 10 seconds and if you mess with the computer before everything has a chance to start and do what ever can jam it up.. If not for gaming and dx12 I need no computer and would never touch another windows system after how they do us with w10.. As said after an update a few months ago my asus sound does not start silently anymore and uac jams it and my vid controls up and can make my system by default not run right because of it- again the system is not allowed to start and run normally until everything is ready to go.. The sound etc are part of the system and should start and run clean in the back ground and not have to give uac an ok but w10 does what ever when ever it wants and is forced on us and sucks azz..

I would google ''minecraft stutters and pauses on new modern computer and NV 1070 and w10''- or change the wording a few ways if needed.. I will guess you will get hits and can maybe figure out what the probs are.. Some games or programs and I know for sure some of my recording programs worked best on older drivers and if update to newer vid drivers might not work at all.. Yah a new just out game might need the new drivers but might ruin everything older and installed and using before.. So as has been said if not broken do not try to fix it or install new drivers or bios what ever just because they are out- and wait to see if others have problems- only update if you have real probs or need..

I install and play lots of games all the time and in last few months collecting cards to lev up on steam I have installed and played a few hours in around 160 games on top of what I always have installed and play.. The games ran from dx8 to dx12 and all run fine for me but at the same time I am not anal and feel I have to have a set number of fps like lots of people and when I record its normally at 30fps so if my game play is smooth with all maxed settings I am happy.. I do not care if its 30fps or 300 as long as its smooth game play and no tearing etc- Some games do not wish to run well if playing dif games back to back but is common and a restart fixes it and as said I install nothing that uses micro sun java and never will..

I have also from time to time read that some vid cards for what ever reasons have more probs in games than others and is no real good reason for it and I think 1070s are one of those cards and some games are picky about over clocked hardware and for certain games it might be best to dial back vid card clocks to what stock settings on the basic cards might be- its a little bit of a pain to have to go into vid card controls and set back for a game and back up for normal use but is not like pulling teeth and can make the game you are trying to play run more as it should.. Some games do not like oc cpu's either..

I read your op again.. I also have gsync- it works better than vsync and for it to work- first you need make sure its on in the nv panel and from in game you have to turn off vsync and turn off if has the setting lock to 60hrz.. I finished and deleted fc3 about a month ago- tho my system does not have 3 titanx cards its still not bad.. I will say fc3 would from time to time start to lag for no real reason as can lots of games but many times if I look hard enough I find that windows has downloaded an update and is waiting a restart or something along those lines- or because I often play a few games back to back a simple restart is needed.. I also notice in some games if open steams overlay at all can make some games start to lag.. Not all games etc run perfect all the time and is not yours or the systems fault- its a machine and w10 or some games are not at their best and you have to get use to it.. Clearing your browser cache- disc clean up- trim your drive- turn off extra back ground stuff all helps as much today on new systems as did on older ones no matter what some might try and say- its just the facts.. I like to turn off auto updates or drive trim and set to manual because chit like that if in game the system thinks its idle will start doing that crap and guess what- you get lag etc and wonder why..

Oh yes Another thing I just found in the last few weeks and did not know about is the fact that or for my pc.. I have asus sonic suite that starts or now uac stops and waits for me to click ok and then starts.. I thought was all that I had to think about but oh no-- if go to w10 control panel to realtek hd audio manager- it also has its own Asus settings for eq and sound ef and room correction and other things and can help dial in better sound.. I did not know that and thought that the suite that opens on my task bar was all to it other than windows settings I talked about in my earlier post.. Mobos I have used in the past 1 button carries you into all sound settings but they was not asus mobos and to be honest I think this will be my last asus mobo.. I always used Abit and my last was a MSI and all in house programs and bios worked like they should and I always liked w7 and xp- I skipped w8 and vista and wish I could do the same for w10.. All my older systems always worked as they should and all have way better than the 50% ratings this and most all asus mobos have today.. I am literally afraid to update anything driver or bios asus puts out and is pretty sad for a said high name company..

Sorry I might not have helped much but I try a lot harder than just a 120 character tweet most might if at all give yah 🙂

its cool, heres the problem im having. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvZUXrhlx3k&feature=youtu.be

SlackROG
Level 10
I know this is probably not what you want to hear, but I've spent some time reading and researching on Windows 10, to realize it's not a good performing OS for gaming like Windows 7 is.

ezeht
Level 7
I have lil to no probs and actually like W10 for gaming and I like the xbox dvr recorder.. My probs with W10 are stated above with them changing my drivers and do as they wish when they wish and mess up my system which because of that causes all sorts of problems in general use and gaming alike.. I would prefer to still be on W7 and if it had dx12 support.. If W10 would just do security and adobe flash updates and not force its communist garbage down my throat and would leave my computer alone [drivers etc.] it would be a much better os and I would be way more happy with it..

ezeht wrote:
I have lil to no probs and actually like W10 for gaming and I like the xbox dvr recorder.. My probs with W10 are stated above with them changing my drivers and do as they wish when they wish and mess up my system which because of that causes all sorts of problems in general use and gaming alike.. I would prefer to still be on W7 and if it had dx12 support.. If W10 would just do security and adobe flash updates and not force its communist garbage down my throat and would leave my computer alone [drivers etc.] it would be a much better os and I would be way more happy with it..

That's good to hear not having much issues...

I don't like Win10, so Win7 for me all the way! 😉