cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does your asus motherboard startup like this?

MoonFrost
Level 7
I've recently upgraded from a p67 motherboard to the asus Z370 formula x. Slightly concerned that my issue isn't normal, but doesn't seem to hurt anything. Just curious why it's doing this.

Issue: I turn computer on. Fan lights and motherboard turn on for a second and then flick off. A second later it continues to boot normally. This happens every time I turn on computer.

Specs:
Asus formula x
I7 8700k
Asus gtx 1080ti OC
Corsair ax760 PSU
16gb ddr4 gskill memory 3000Mhz

Fans are 6 corsair hd120 hooked up to the commander pro rgb controller.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ndf6A9g2phU
21 REPLIES 21

Kreyora
Level 7
If i am not mistaken, some boards a few years ago double booted just like that, did you do a clean install of operating system when upgrading your parts?

Kreyora wrote:
If i am not mistaken, some boards a few years ago double booted just like that, did you do a clean install of operating system when upgrading your parts?

yep, fresh install and the whole system is completely new.

Noticed something to add to this, the 1080ti has little LEDs on the pci-e 8 pin connectors when the system is powered on, and they are off when the system is off.

When I power on the system, those lights turn on seemingly first. and remain lit even when the motherboards/fans flick off upon startup. They stay on until I shut down my system (can see this in the video) Edit: also noticed in the video that even though the motherboard seems to flick off, my keyboard is still lit up *in the reflection on the glass* while its doing its thing..

Unno if that helps. Im hoping this isnt a big issue and just an odd thing the motherboard does, maybe its a self check of some sort.

Yes, Only when CPU SVID Support is Disabled and CPU Core/Cache Voltage is in Manual Mode. Does not happen when CPU SVID Support is set to Auto and CPU Core/Cache Voltage is in Adaptive Mode. Q-Code 35 when CPU SVID Support is Disabled and CPU Core/Cache Voltage is in Adaptive Mode.

MrAgapiGC
Level 13
i can report that a friend of mine using a corsair PSU is having some similar issues. But does not happen always. he is using a Z370-E and a RM100x so far only 1 time. the os is fresh install with all new bios and drivers. I will check with him later today and during these week. He is not using the commander or any other app from corsair. using same 8700k and GPU and corsair white led 3000 ram.
Learn, Play Enjoy!

sdmf74
Level 11
This should only happen on the following bootup after making certain overclocking adjustments in bios however having ERP enabled in bios "might" make it happen on every bootup
ASUS Maximus 13 Hero, Intel I9 11900k, EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA

sdmf74 wrote:
This should only happen on the following bootup after making certain overclocking adjustments in bios however having ERP enabled in bios "might" make it happen on every bootup

Im not sure if you were the person who posted on youtube, but if you are thanks for the followup. Ill post my same reply here:

I actually just figured it out yesterday. It was the ErP setting (enabled S5) to have my USB slots powered off while my system is off. So im a little bummed out, either I have to have my microphone (Audio Technica AT2020+) running all the time with a blue glowing LED lighting my room up at night, but a fast startup. Or this, a slow startup but everything turned off when the system is off.

Unless theres another setting that would disable USB devices when system is off that Im not aware of. Or if you know if all the USB jacks are powered when ErP is Disabled. It would be nice if i could just select the 1 USB port to be powered off after a shut down. Im not sure what ErP fully does or why it causes this issue to begin with so maybe it isnt possible.

Just realized how loud I breathe, good lord.

sdmf74
Level 11
Yep thats me, I just made a few more suggestions on YT, im hoping one will fix your issue. Try the last suggestion.
UNCHECK every device that has the "allow this device to wake the computer". It may be that your mic is plugged into the same root hub as your keyboard or mouse and is still recieving power on S5 state. You will temp. have to use the power button on the front of your pc but at least you will know whats causing the problem.

sdmf74
Level 11
If none of that works I may have found a fix for your double boot issue. Go into windows power options and click choose what the power buttons do in the top left
then at the top next to the badge click on change settings that are currently unavailable. Then you will be able to change the grayed out options below.
Uncheck "turn on fast startup (recommended) then click save changes & reboot.

I would actually try this for both issues:
-ERP enabled with double boot issue
-ERP disabled with unwanted power to mic at S5

sdmf74 wrote:
If none of that works I may have found a fix for your double boot issue. Go into windows power options and click choose what the power buttons do in the top left
then at the top next to the badge click on change settings that are currently unavailable. Then you will be able to change the grayed out options below.
Uncheck "turn on fast startup (recommended) then click save changes & reboot.

I would actually try this for both issues:
-ERP enabled with double boot issue
-ERP disabled with unwanted power to mic at S5

its already unchecked @~@

thanks for all the help anyways, Im going to sleep now, feel free to post any more ideas, maybe it just needs a bios update, as it is a new motherboard.