cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FPS max rate target in GPU tweak

ChettsoN
Level 7
Hello,

I have some questions regarding the FPS I get in game and the max targeted FPS in GPU Tweak. I seem to be stuck at 255FPS max as stated in GPU tweak, but shouldn't an i7 7700k and a 1080 strix both OCed be able to get me a bit more ?
Is it capped because of my screen's refresh rate/res (60hz and FHD)?
Should I leave that parameter on 0 in GPU tweak or max it?
My old screen (asus VE276) is gonna be replaced in a couple of days after a few years of good and loyal services.
Im planning on getting a XG32VQ with gsync and QHD. Should it be enough to get an higher Stable FPS rate?
ASUS ROG STRIX Z270 F GAMING
intel core i7 7700K
GsKILL TridentZ C15D 3000MHz
ASUS ROG STRIX 1080 A8G
LEPA aquachanger 120
Samsung EVO 960 SSD M.2 500Go
Corsair HX750i 80 PLUS Platinum*
6 REPLIES 6

ChettsoN
Level 7
Anyone???
intel core i7 7700K
ASUS ROG STRIX 1080 A8G
LEPA aquachanger 120

ChettsoN
Level 7
ChettsoN wrote:
Hello,

I have some questions regarding the FPS I get in game and the max targeted FPS in GPU Tweak. I seem to be stuck at 255FPS max as stated in GPU tweak, but shouldn't an i7 7700k and a 1080 strix both OCed be able to get me a bit more ?
Is it capped because of my screen's refresh rate/res (60hz and FHD)?
Should I leave that parameter on 0 in GPU tweak or max it?
My old screen (asus VE276) is gonna be replaced in a couple of days after a few years of good and loyal services.
Im planning on getting a XG32VQ with gsync and QHD. Should it be enough to get an higher Stable FPS rate?

I've found out with running some tests that setting it to "0" allow the FPS to be uncapped.
intel core i7 7700K
ASUS ROG STRIX 1080 A8G
LEPA aquachanger 120

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
The monitor won't cap your frame rate unless you have G-Sync or Adaptive Sync/FreeSync enabled. Probably better to consider a different monitor to pair with your GTX 1080, since the XG32VQ features Adaptive Sync and not G-Sync. Having a higher resolution monitor won't allow a higher frame rate, in fact the frame rate will drop significantly. 2K QHD resolution is about right for your graphics card. You won't be getting 250+fps but that is not really beneficial (for humans) anyway.

MasterC@ASUS wrote:
The monitor won't cap your frame rate unless you have G-Sync or Adaptive Sync/FreeSync enabled. Probably better to consider a different monitor to pair with your GTX 1080, since the XG32VQ features Adaptive Sync and not G-Sync. Having a higher resolution monitor won't allow a higher frame rate, in fact the frame rate will drop significantly. 2K QHD resolution is about right for your graphics card. You won't be getting 250+fps but that is not really beneficial (for humans) anyway.

My bad, you're right, XG32VQ has FreeSync and not G Sync, well, I've already bought it anyways and it's on it's way, it's no big deal considering the fact that my FPS rarely drops below 60.
This is the main area of effect of G/FreeSync right? Preventing screen tearing and keeping things smooth when dropping below 60?
I could just use GPU Tweak to cap the FPS @ 144 to match this monitor's refresh rate, 144 FPS or 200 might not matter this much for the games I play, so it's fine if I lose a bit in QHD.
Im cool with it XG32VQ looks too good 😄

Thanks for your reply.
intel core i7 7700K
ASUS ROG STRIX 1080 A8G
LEPA aquachanger 120

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
If you're happy with the XG32VQ then I'd suggest to use ELMB (since G-SYNC and Adaptive Sync aren't available for your config) to sync the frame rate with the refresh rate. ELMB can be set to 85, 100, or 120Hz, make sure to tweak the game detail settings so the frame rate doesn't drop below that. Best to start with 85Hz and go from there.

Right i'll *try that once i recieve it in a week or so
Thx*
intel core i7 7700K
ASUS ROG STRIX 1080 A8G
LEPA aquachanger 120