cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus gtx 1080 ti strix 0c heavy coil whine

Snowztorm
Level 7
Hi I'm wondering if anyone else has been as unlucky as me when it comes to graphic cards?
I recently bought an gtx 1080 ti strix oc and Again this one has a heavy coil whine.This is the third gtx 1080 ti card i got the first two was zotac and I also whent through 4 gtx 1080 cards of different brands with the same resullt.The only thing that I haven't tried is to switch my PSu or my motherboard so I'm wondering: can this be an combination of psu and graphic card? My motherboard is asus z2070h rog and psu is cooler master v1200 1200v.
6 REPLIES 6

Nate152
Hi Sowztorm

Wow, if every graphics card has coil whine I'd try a new psu as you suspect, is there any way you could test with another psu before buying one ?

Nate152 wrote:
Hi Sowztorm

Wow, if every graphics card has coil whine I'd try a new psu as you suspect, is there any way you could test with another psu before buying one ?

I don't have any other psu but it is still under warant so I might send it back.

cljustin
Level 8
If all your cards have coil whine, there's a chance it is your actual PSU causing the whining.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Snowztorm wrote:
I don't have any other psu but it is still under warant so I might send it back.

I'd only consider this if you're able to send it back to the retailer, and not the PSU vendor. I'd return the unit and purchase a different one. Look at EVGA G2, P2 and T2 range.
As well as SuperFlower Leadex and Corsair.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

I have the cool Master v1200 in the current system and early in ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 and have no problems with coil whine

OLD

NEW

Deepcuts
Level 10
Remember that coil whine can occur when playing at very high FPS also.
That causes lots of power going through the coils.
Try with vsync on and see if it stops.

I think that after 4 cards you saw most yt videos about it. Just in cause you missed this one: https://youtu.be/jtXAuIJchps