cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I increase my post time?

bfollowell
Level 9
Is there some offset, or something I can do to increase my post time by a couple of seconds with my ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero?

I finally got the last component of my new gaming build, a Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 sound card. The sound is great and I love it, with one exception. Whenever I initially boot my system, I have no sound and will have to reboot, at which point I will have sound have the reboot. Everything is then fine, until I shut down for some reason and restart.

Someone helping me on a Creative forum feels that the system may be booting too quickly for the sound card to fully initialize. I disabled fast boot, but my system still boots extremely quickly and my problem still exists. It was suggested that I increase my post time by a second or two and see if that helps. Sounds like a great suggestion to try, but I'm not quite sure how to go about that, and I'm not home where I can reboot and search through the EFI/BIOS.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3

segfaulted
Level 7
bfollowell wrote:
Is there some offset, or something I can do to increase my post time by a couple of seconds with my ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero?

I finally got the last component of my new gaming build, a Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 sound card. The sound is great and I love it, with one exception. Whenever I initially boot my system, I have no sound and will have to reboot, at which point I will have sound have the reboot. Everything is then fine, until I shut down for some reason and restart.

Someone helping me on a Creative forum feels that the system may be booting too quickly for the sound card to fully initialize. I disabled fast boot, but my system still boots extremely quickly and my problem still exists. It was suggested that I increase my post time by a second or two and see if that helps. Sounds like a great suggestion to try, but I'm not quite sure how to go about that, and I'm not home where I can reboot and search through the EFI/BIOS.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Interesting problem. Only Creative can fix the hardware or drivers but something to test would be hitting f8 while windows starts. Should bring up some boot options (like safe mode). You don't have to boot into safe mode but it would at least stall the bootup. Could do the same thing for alternate boot from the BIOS. Assuming you've already disabled fastboot.

Menthol
Level 14
bfollowell,
I am currently using the X Hero Wifi, I also purchased the same sound card only because I haven't purchased a sound card in years because the on board sound solutions are so good.
I do not have the issue you are having.
I have not ever heard anyone asking to increase boot time, if you go into the memory timing section of the bios and scroll down until you find MRC fast boot and disable this the board will perform extra memory training on boot which performs a more extensive testing of memory timings which should extend boot time a little and make your memory more stable as a result.
Since I don't have this issue I assume it may be something else.
Did you have this sound card installed when you installed the OS? if not then there may be left over files in the registry causing this
Did you disable the on board sound in the bios before installing this sound card?
Things to try
Remove the sound card from your system, make sure the on board sound solution is disabled in the bios. uninstall all sound drivers, restart system, download and install CCleaner free version and run the registry cleaner and delete all files that it finds and restart the system, run Ccleaner again and delete any registry files if any are found, open CMD in administrator mode, type "sfc /scannow" to check for system file integrity, if this is OK, turn system off reinstall sound card and install the newest version of the creative software and test again

I will monitor this thread so please post back if and let me know how things go

bfollowell
Level 9
I was able to finally get my sound back consistently. By default, my motherboard was set to Fast Boot enabled with a Post Delay setting of 3 seconds. I disabled fast boot and adjusted the Post Delay setting to 10 seconds and everything seems OK now.

I will try to lower the Post Delay setting until I find the lowest stable delay setting that gives me consistent sound at Windows login.

Thanks.