Page 16 of 70 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 66 ... LastLast
    New ROGer Array

Any hope for my G74SX?

On a personal note, fair play Dell - my 2012 Precision will be updated after all!

Client Models - http://www.dell.com/support/article/...oducts?lang=en

Server Models - http://www.dell.com/support/article/...rking-?lang=en

Edit - here's HPE's list of servers (they are not committing to a release date, which makes me think that they would have not been ready for the original 9th January release date):

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/pub...a00039267en_us

And here's Cisco UCS:

https://tools.cisco.com/security/cen...cpusidechannel

ROG Enthusiast Array RamGuy PC Specs
    RamGuy PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)MacBook Pro 13-inch retina with touch bar 2016
    MotherboardAsus Maximus X Apex @ 1003
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-8700K @ 4.9GHz
    Memory (part number)G.Skill 4266MHz 2x 8GiB (F4-4266C19D-16GTZR)
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid
    Sound CardHegel HD12 External DAC
    MonitorAsus RoG PG348Q + Asus RoG PG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 960 Pro NVMe 1TB
    Storage #2Samsung 960 Evo NVMe 1TB
    CPU CoolerNZXT Kraken X62
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Tempered Glass Black
    Power SupplySeasonic Platinum 1200W (SS-1200XP3)
    Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB RapidFire Cherry MX Speed
    Mouse Logitech G Pro
    Headset Sennheiser HD 800
    Mouse Pad SteelSeries QcK Extended
    OS Windows 10 Pro (1709 Fall Creators Update)
    Network RouterGoogle WiFi with 3x nodes (Previously Asus RT-AC5300)
    Accessory #1 Xbox One Elite Controller + Wireless Adapter
    Accessory #2 Zowie Mouse Bungie
    Accessory #3 TPM-Module (Trusted Platform Module)

Quote Originally Posted by SaFiS View Post
    Compiled my own BIOS. Everything's OK...

ASUS MAXIMUS VII FORMULA

Attachment 70348
    How did you get the microcode? The ones on Intel's site is from November and is supposedly not the same microcode that Intel has began to push to manufactures.

ROG Enthusiast Array

why there are only two boards on the X99 side at this "official statement"?
    https://www.asus.com/News/V5urzYAT6m...523.1504198706

ROG Enthusiast Array SumTingWong PC Specs
    SumTingWong PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Maximus Vii Hero Z97
    Processori7 4790k @ 4.5Ghz
    Memory (part number)Corsair Red Vengeance Red 32GB DDR3
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Strix GTX 970
    Sound CardN/A
    MonitorASUS 27' 1080P
    Storage #1Samsung 256GB 850 EVO SSD
    Storage #2Seagate 1TB HDD + WD 2TB HDD
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH D15S
    CaseCorsair 750D
    Power SupplyEVGA G2 850W
    Keyboard Razer 2015
    Mouse Razer 2015
    Headset Walmart headset
    Mouse Pad N/A
    Headset/Speakers LogicTech $30 speaker from Walmart
    OS Windows 10 64 bit

Okay, so this is what Intel said on my thread on Intel community forum. https://communities.intel.com/thread/121316

" Hello 12InchesSoft,

Thank you for contacting Intel Support,

I understand that you want information about a BIOS update for 4th Generation processors in regards the "Spectre" situation.

In regards this, Along with other companies whose platforms are impacted, Intel has worked with operating system vendors, equipment manufacturers, and other ecosystem partners to develop software and firmware updates that can protect computers from these methods. It is important to apply mentioned updates as soon as they are available.

For details on how to protect your system please refer to this site for more information

This is all the information he handle at the moment, I apologize for any inconvenience."

So to my understanding, Intel will not release the Spectre patch microcode to the public yet.
    Last edited by SumTingWong; 01-09-2018 at 08:08 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array RamGuy PC Specs
    RamGuy PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)MacBook Pro 13-inch retina with touch bar 2016
    MotherboardAsus Maximus X Apex @ 1003
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-8700K @ 4.9GHz
    Memory (part number)G.Skill 4266MHz 2x 8GiB (F4-4266C19D-16GTZR)
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid
    Sound CardHegel HD12 External DAC
    MonitorAsus RoG PG348Q + Asus RoG PG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 960 Pro NVMe 1TB
    Storage #2Samsung 960 Evo NVMe 1TB
    CPU CoolerNZXT Kraken X62
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Tempered Glass Black
    Power SupplySeasonic Platinum 1200W (SS-1200XP3)
    Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB RapidFire Cherry MX Speed
    Mouse Logitech G Pro
    Headset Sennheiser HD 800
    Mouse Pad SteelSeries QcK Extended
    OS Windows 10 Pro (1709 Fall Creators Update)
    Network RouterGoogle WiFi with 3x nodes (Previously Asus RT-AC5300)
    Accessory #1 Xbox One Elite Controller + Wireless Adapter
    Accessory #2 Zowie Mouse Bungie
    Accessory #3 TPM-Module (Trusted Platform Module)

I tried to load the 20170707 Intel Microcode on my fiancee's machine running Rampage IV Extreme and Intel Core i7-3960X using the VMWare Driver and it claims "No CPUs needed an update. Your system might not need this driver." but the microcode is still reported as 710 like it was before and the SpeculationControlSettings still says;

Hardware support for branch target injection mitigation is present: False
    Windows OS support for branch target injection mitigation is present: True
    Windows OS support for branch target injection mitigation is enabled: False
    Windows OS support for branch target injection mitigation is disabled by system policy: False
    Windows OS support for branch target injection mitigation is disabled by absence of hardware support: True

ROG Member Array raximus21 PC Specs
    raximus21 PC Specs
    MotherboardMAXIMUS HERO VII
    Processorintel i7 4790k
    Memory (part number)16 GB
    Graphics Card #1GEFORCE GTX 750
    Sound CardAUDIOFIRE 4

Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    2014 is 4 years ago which is an eternity in the terms of technology. As is 4th generation CPUs.
    Comparing an operating system that is still being officially supported to old hardware is like comparing gasoline to an engine. If you bought the gas yesterday to run in a 50 year old engine and it didnt start is that the fault of the gasoline or that6 fact that the engine is seized?

Getting snarky insisting that every manufacturer must update the BIOS for every board and making the statement that its not that hard to do tells me everything I need to know about the thought process at work here. Are you for real or just trolling? This is a monumental undertaking! Its not like there are two board to do or even 200, maybe 2000 and thats extremly conservative.

Do you run virtual servers? Based on the level of intelect in the posts Id doubt it?
    Is you Network secure or are you wide open with no firewall?
    Do you store financial info on your machine and worth 10s of millions or more?
    Unless all of the above it true there isnt much to worry about unless you get caught with things you should not have anyway.

Give them time. If your board doesnt get offered up a new micro code then it must be time to upgrade.
    I'm not here to argue with you. I don't really care what you think about me, you have no idea who I am or what I do based on a few posts.

I am only here to express my opinon in the hopes that someone from Asus will care that so many of us are still using Maximus VII and want to see a SECURITY update for a situation this widespread and unique.

XP is not still being officially supported and it hasn't been for a long time. That was exactly my point. MS brought it out of the mothballs to apply a security update for a situation that is exactly like this one a few years back because like it or not so many people were still using it. A SECURITY update, not a feature update. I don't expect new features but I do expect one last security update for something like this and so should everyone else.

Car manufacturers recall cars that have security flaws years later but mb manufacturers should be allowed to sell someone an expensive mb and 3 1/2 years later tell them to UPGRADE and a buy a new one to fix a SECURITY flaw? Ridiculous.

I think the fact that not one Asus representative has been on here to address this issue says it all. I'm not the only Maximus VII user that complained. I don't care if you like my opinion or not I'll be back on here expressing it every day until an official Asus statement about this is made.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Nixon2992 View Post
    Dear.
    Need manual activation for Spectre protection:https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...erabilities-in
    By default behavior Windows if MB uCode not support features guardian disable this on pre-boot stage loading operating system.
    Best Regards.
    So Dear is there really a way to manually activate windows patch if you go the Vmware driver route? Its not clear in the support document how to do that. I tried the registry changes but that didn't seem to help.

raximus21 PC Specs
    Processorintel i7 4790k
    Sound CardAUDIOFIRE 4

Also, I've seen this twice now in this thread. This logic that people want to see a SECURITY update for their mb because they are doing something wrong on their machine is complete nonsense.

Some of us just don't want our credit card, password, or personal info stolen or our OS destroyed. I don't have time to recover my OS all the time because of a virus obtained from a security flaw in my hardware because the manufacturer I bought it from doesn't want to apply a SECURITY update for a mb I bought just a few years back.

raximus21 PC Specs
    Processorintel i7 4790k
    Sound CardAUDIOFIRE 4

Quote Originally Posted by fEaRz View Post
    Any hope for my G74SX?

On a personal note, fair play Dell - my 2012 Precision will be updated after all!

Client Models - http://www.dell.com/support/article/...oducts?lang=en

Server Models - http://www.dell.com/support/article/...rking-?lang=en

Edit - here's HPE's list of servers (they are not committing to a release date, which makes me think that they would have not been ready for the original 9th January release date):

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/pub...a00039267en_us

And here's Cisco UCS:

https://tools.cisco.com/security/cen...cpusidechannel
    Looks like I should have bought a Dell instead...

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by RamGuy View Post
    I tried to load the 20170707 Intel Microcode on my fiancee's machine running Rampage IV Extreme and Intel Core i7-3960X using the VMWare Driver and it claims "No CPUs needed an update. Your system might not need this driver." but the microcode is still reported as 710 like it was before and the SpeculationControlSettings still says;

Hardware support for branch target injection mitigation is present: False
    Windows OS support for branch target injection mitigation is present: True
    Windows OS support for branch target injection mitigation is enabled: False
    Windows OS support for branch target injection mitigation is disabled by system policy: False
    Windows OS support for branch target injection mitigation is disabled by absence of hardware support: True
    I had to download (dated 2018-1-4) microcode from a debian source file. https://packages.debian.org/buster/i...ocode/download
    Then you have to have something like 7-zip to detar the .deb file and find the microcode directory. You have to find the binary for your processor family_revision_stepping.bin etc.

Then I found this python tool to convert the binary to .dat file. https://github.com/bgw/bdw-ucode-upd...pts/bin2dat.py

Then I re-installed the Vmdriver with that dat file.. Now I see that the CPU microcode updates and I have the hardware support showing up now. However windows isn't enabling it because of the microcode is not updated before the boot up. That is why in order for the driver way to work we need some way to get windows to enable the fix support on the fly or some manual way of enabling it. If not then this way is pretty much a dead horse. Which is a shame cause this would at least let people with older systems keep running without a BIOS fix.

Page 16 of 70 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 66 ... LastLast