cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPECTRE and MELTDOWN: Bug rocks Intel / ARM CPUs

segfaulted
Level 7
Kinda glad I bought AMD this round. For those who don't know there is a new bug affecting just about every SKU from Intel made in the last .. ohh.. _DECADE_ or so. It's actually worse then F00F or FDIV. Only mitigation appears to castrate the CPU upward of 30%! (depending on processes).

Can Asus confirm AMD and more importantly for me, this or any AMD motherboard are not affected? If so, will there be RMAs?

Fun fact, Intel's CEO dumped stock back in November before they started issuing gags on people from even talking about it.

*****ASUS advisory page(may get updated): https://www.asus.com/News/V5urzYAT6myCC1o2 ******
701 REPLIES 701

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
segfaulted wrote:
Kinda glad I bought AMD this round. For those who don't know there is a new bug affecting just about every SKU from Intel made in the last .. ohh.. _DECADE_ or so. It's actually worse then F00F or FDIV. Only mitigation appears to castrate the CPU upward of 30%! (depending on processes).

Can Asus confirm AMD and more importantly for me, this or any AMD motherboard are not affected? If so, will there be RMAs?

Fun fact, Intel's CEO dumped stock back in November before they started issuing gags on people from even talking about it.

Do you run or host a number of virtual machines? If not, then you should feel about the same as you did before you read about this. You're still using the same hardware you were when you purchased it.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone wrote:
Do you run or host a number of virtual machines? If not, then you should feel about the same as you did before you read about this. You're still using the same hardware you were when you purchased it.

I do but it has nothing to do with the number of VMs.

It will hit enterprise users hard regardless.

panzlock
Level 12

Praz
Level 13
segfaulted wrote:

Hello

This is an issue concerning the processor not the motherboard. As such, regardless of the platform, there is absolutely no valid reason for motherboard RMAs. While you are relishing in the fact of purchasing AMD keep in mind the fixes being pushed out will cripple AMD performance as well.

Praz wrote:
Hello

While you are relishing in the fact of purchasing AMD keep in mind the fixes being pushed out will cripple AMD performance as well.

Perhaps in the first fixes, but it is nonsense that a patch that hits performance would be permanently applied to processors do not need it:

Linux Will End Up Disabling x86 PTI For AMD Processors

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=00a5ae218d577410880687...

Hope Windows do the same.

There are two flaws, SPECTRE and MELTDOWN. The SPECTRE issue applies to Intel, AMD and ARM and the MELTDOWN problem affects Intel, not AMD.

AMD struggles for exclusion from patches:

https://www.techpowerup.com/240255/amd-updates-on-amd-processor-security-status
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.

squawker wrote:
Perhaps in the first fixes, but it is nonsense that a patch that hits performance would be permanently applied to processors do not need it:

Linux Will End Up Disabling x86 PTI For AMD Processors

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=00a5ae218d577410880687...

Hope Windows do the same.

That is PTI = meltdown, which is Intel specific, entirely patched in the OS and has very little impact on performance. It is a Spectre variant that requires a microcode update for both AMD and Intel and affectsd performance significantly in some areas.

ROG Hero XIII | 10900k @5.2 GHz | g.skill 2x32GB 4200 CL18 | ROG Strix 2070S | EK Nucleus 360 Dark | 6TB SSD/nvme, 16TB external HDD | 2x 1440p | Vanatoo speakers with Klipsch sub | Fractal Meshify 2 case

Praz wrote:
Hello

This is an issue concerning the processor not the motherboard. As such, regardless of the platform, there is absolutely no valid reason for motherboard RMAs. While you are relishing in the fact of purchasing AMD keep in mind the fixes being pushed out will cripple AMD performance as well.

How about fixing AIsuite though, which the Windows 10 patch renders broken..

ROG Hero XIII | 10900k @5.2 GHz | g.skill 2x32GB 4200 CL18 | ROG Strix 2070S | EK Nucleus 360 Dark | 6TB SSD/nvme, 16TB external HDD | 2x 1440p | Vanatoo speakers with Klipsch sub | Fractal Meshify 2 case