ROG Member Array raximus21 PC Specs
    raximus21 PC Specs
    MotherboardMAXIMUS HERO VII
    Processorintel i7 4790k
    Memory (part number)16 GB
    Graphics Card #1GEFORCE GTX 750
    Sound CardAUDIOFIRE 4

Quote Originally Posted by MaverickScot View Post
    Still no answer from ASUS for older motherboards (Z97) I find this very disappointing given the current threat. I just want a yes we are working on it or a no we have no plans so I can weigh up my options and take action now as the longer we wait the more dangerous the threat will become.

Am I being unreasonable?

Mav.
    No you're not being unreasonable. This is a major security flaw and either Asus will patch the bios on the Z97 boards or just leave all of us unprotected from this vulnerability. It's really not asking much to expect a SECURITY update for something this serious.

STILL WAITING ASUS..........

ROG Enthusiast Array Kosmosagamemnon PC Specs
    Kosmosagamemnon PC Specs
    MotherboardRampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorIntel Core i9 7960X
    Memory (part number)F4-3200C16Q-32GTZR
    Graphics Card #1Galax 1080 Ti HoF
    Graphics Card #2Galax 1080 Ti HoF
    Sound CardCreative SoundBlaster ZxR
    MonitorLG 60"
    Storage #1Samsung 960 Pro NVMe 1TB SSD
    Storage #2Samsung 960 Pro NVMe 1TB SSD
    CPU CoolerNZXT Kraken X62
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1200i
    Keyboard Logitech G910
    Mouse Thermaltake Level 10M White
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64
    Network RouterDraytek 2925 Vn+

Greetings all.

Given Asus' inability to communicate, I have done some more looking into the issues with respect to Haswell and Broadwell architectures (X99 based Chips). In addition to this I have seen it mentioned elsewhere that Asus apparently plan to provide updates for X99 systems on-wards however, without official word from Asus take that with a rather large shovel of salt.

Be aware that what is listed below specifically relates to Haswell and Broadwell systems. If you are using an older or newer system with the appropriate updates installed please carry on using them. If however you are using a Haswell/Broadwell system or are merely curious please read on.

Intel have already issued code fixes.

To all intents and purposes Intel have already issued Microcode fixes for the Haswell and Broadwell series chips and chipsets. However those fixes ended up breaking more than simply Anti-virus software. Device drivers and other forms of software have ended up being broken by the microcode fixes Intel have produced. This is resulting in blue screening systems and severely impacted VMWare ESXi installations.

Borked Microcode

The end result is that Intel have stopped rolling out the microcode fixes for these chips while they develop a more workable solution. They also have recommended that people revert back to earlier revisions where practicable if they encounter issues on the older Haswell platforms in particular. Presently new fixes are being developed, they will take time. However those of us who work in the Computing sector and in particular virtualised services delivery will tell you that we have no choice but to work with what Intel have provided since the alternative (operating insecure platforms) is unthinkable.

The end result is that this has likely led to a delay in the prospective roll out for fixes for x99 platforms. Intel have **** the bed on this one and they clearly haven't had the opportunity to apply the necessary test rigor to the new microcode prior to deployment to older platforms. That's not to say that the task they face is not either complex, difficult nor insurmountable, merely that in the rush to deliver a solution they may not have had the opportunity to test appropriately. It happens.

What does this mean for us?

For those interested I have found an article that does a reasonable job explaining the issues without getting into the complexities of Kernel mode isolation and Process Context Identification markers... The article is here https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018...ks-get-closer/

Be under no illusions however for Intel, this is now a race against time. The chances are good that the first live exploits will begin making the rounds before all required patching operations are complete. In the interim make sure any system protection software you have is up to date and capable. If I find out more I will post it to this thread.

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array FireRx PC Specs
    FireRx PC Specs
    MotherboardRampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorIntel 10900 X
    Memory (part number)Corsair CMD32GX4MA2800c16
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
    Sound Cardonboard
    MonitorLG 34" curved
    Storage #1Samsung 960 M2 SSD 1 terabyte
    Storage #2Samsumg 860 EVO SSD 2Tb
    CPU CoolerCorsair H80i
    CaseLian Li VS2000
    Power SupplyThermaltake 1200 modular
    Keyboard Logitech K800
    Mouse Logitech
    Headset Powerbeats Pro
    Mouse Pad Xtrac Ripper XL
    Headset/Speakers logitech
    OS Windows 10 Pro 21277
    Network RouterNetGear
    Accessory #1 Logitech G940 FLight gear

thank you sir
    Intel Core i9 10900X @4.7ghz @1.182v
    Asus Rampage VI Extreme [bios 3105]
    LG (34U97-s) Monitor 3440 x1440
    Nvidia RTX 30909 FE
    Windows 10 Pro
    32gbz Memory

ROG Enthusiast Array

Because I saw it earlier in the thread, and I think it warrants re-mentioning: for those of you that don't mind taking a bit of a risk (or know how to recover from a bad flash), there *is* a utility (google UEFI BIOS Updater, there's a post on Win-Raid forums, I kinda don't wanna link it or any pre-done BIOS for liability's sake) you can use to update your own microcode. This worked flawlessly for me personally with my G750JM notebook; I can't speak for other/newer boards with the security features they may have in place.

FOR ADVANCED USERS, and I claim no responsibility:

1. Update your BIOS to the latest version if you haven't already, and configure it as you like.

2. Download UBU, and the AMIBIOS and Aptio AMI Firmware Update Utility.

3. Find MMTool v5.0.0.7 and put the EXE in UBU's folder (same folder as ubu.bat) named as MMTool.exe.

4. Use the AFUWin tool appropriate for your system (you may need to try the different tools; older boards likely need Aptio, new likely need AptioV, but it'll tell you if you use the wrong one) to save your current BIOS somewhere.

5. From a command prompt, run "ubu" in UBU's folder and select your BIOS file.

6. Use option 7 (CPU MicroCode) , then option 1 (Update CPU Microcode), then the number of the latest microcode version for your system. If you see any error about problems with your BIOS/UEFI type, or if there is no update option in the second menu, stop here, as this program/guide unfortunately won't work for your board.

7. Exit from the program, and let it rename the modified BIOS file (which will now be in the folder with ubu.bat as well) to mod_whatever.bin so you can be sure that that's the modified file.

!!!!! IF AT ANY POINT YOU HAVE RECEIVED AN ERROR FROM UBU, STOP. IF YOU FLASH IT, YOU'RE LIABLE TO BRICK IT. !!!!!

8. Use the same version of AFUWin that worked for you in option 4 to flash back the modified bios. (If it refuses, your board may have UEFI signature enforcement. The UBU thread has info on that.)

9. Reboot, cross your fingers that you still have a functioning computer, and go use some utility or other (look up Ashampoo's Spectre/Meltdown checker) to see if it worked!
    Last edited by Jaitsu; 01-17-2018 at 08:18 AM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Jaitsu View Post
    Because I saw it earlier in the thread, and I think it warrants re-mentioning: for those of you that don't mind taking a bit of a risk (or know how to recover from a bad flash), there *is* a utility (google UEFI BIOS Updater, there's a post on Win-Raid forums, I kinda don't wanna link it or any pre-done BIOS for liability's sake) you can use to update your own microcode. This worked flawlessly for me personally with my G750JM notebook; I can't speak for other/newer boards with the security features they may have in place.

FOR ADVANCED USERS, and I claim no responsibility:

1. Update your BIOS to the latest version if you haven't already, and configure it as you like.

2. Download UBU, and the AMIBIOS and Aptio AMI Firmware Update Utility.

3. Find MMTool v5.0.0.7 and put the EXE in UBU's folder (same folder as ubu.bat) named as MMTool.exe.

4. Use the AFUWin tool appropriate for your system (you may need to try the different tools; older boards likely need Aptio, new likely need AptioV, but it'll tell you if you use the wrong one) to save your current BIOS somewhere.

5. From a command prompt, run "ubu" in UBU's folder and select your BIOS file.

6. Use option 7, then option 1, then the number of the latest microcode version for your system.

7. Exit from the program, and let it rename the modified BIOS file (which will now be in the folder with ubu.bat as well) to mod_whatever.bin so you can be sure that that's the modified file.

!!!!! IF AT ANY POINT YOU HAVE RECEIVED AN ERROR FROM UBU, STOP. IF YOU FLASH IT, YOU'RE LIABLE TO BRICK IT. !!!!!

8. Use the same version of AFUWin that worked for you in option 4 to flash back the modified bios. (If it refuses, your board may have UEFI signature enforcement. The UBU thread has info on that.)

9. Reboot, cross your fingers that you still have a functioning computer, and go use some utility or other (look up Ashampoo's Spectre/Meltdown checker) to see if it worked!
    Note this won't work on x299 boards, the AMI tool can't read the BIOS, we need a newer AMI tool.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array Margus PC Specs
    Margus PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus hero VII
    Processor4790K
    Memory (part number)CMD16GXM2A2400C10
    Graphics Card #1MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4g
    Sound CardSB Recon 3D
    MonitorBENQ 2411Z
    Storage #1samsung 850 evo
    CPU CoolerLIQMAX 2 240
    Power SupplySeasonic X Platinum 1050w
    OS Windows 10 HOME

i did my bios edit week ago for my z97 does work ok even better then before i not expect fast response from asus to fix it because i not want wait and ubu was fastest solution to me.
    Most asus boards have usb flashback is so foolproof solution to edit downloaded bios from asus site mod it make better and flash it.

Hard way flasing hardware chip flash in external way if really goes something wrong but with usb flashback nothing can go wrong because chip go to recovery mode and restore previous if file is bad its not flash it. You can always restore with flashback. So no harm made.
    Last edited by Margus; 01-17-2018 at 07:05 AM.

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array restsugavan PC Specs
    restsugavan PC Specs
    MotherboardRAMPAGE VI EXTREME BIOS 3501 MOD
    ProcessorIntel Core i9 7980XE 2.60GHz
    Memory (part number)64GB GSKILL 3.2 GHz 16-16-18-36 2T
    Graphics Card #1ASUS ROG POSEIDON 1080Ti
    MonitorSAMSUNG ODESSEY G9 NEO 49 Firmware 1005.1
    Storage #1SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS 1TB x 3
    Storage #2WD 4TB External HDD
    CPU CoolerNZXT KRAKEN 62
    CaseCorsair Carbine 540
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1200i
    Keyboard Microsoft
    Mouse Microsoft
    Mouse Pad ASUS
    Headset/Speakers Sony
    OS Windows 11 Insider Preview 22463.1000
    Network RouterD-LINK

Quote Originally Posted by Chris123NT View Post
    Note this won't work on x299 boards, the AMI tool can't read the BIOS, we need a newer AMI tool.
    I'd trying many tools to do that for RAMPAGE VI EXTREME. The BIOS was locked. We can't do anything only wait for NO ETA issue from them.
    Look like ME firmware also flash descriptor locked. No anyway to do , only waiting. for SA-00086 we'd wait since november 2017. SA-00088
    spectre debut on January 2018. In the worse case maybe BIOS 1102 that ASUS claimed release end of 2018.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbhKUjPRk5Q&t=876s
    After watching this clip on 2:47 timeline you'll see how did new generation ASUS mobos update their ME firmware and microcode process.

So many tools from Win-RAID for X299 are useless when deal with ASUS X299 mobos. That why I'd asking for new RVIE BIOS everyday.
    Last edited by restsugavan; 01-17-2018 at 11:15 AM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Chris123NT View Post
    No? That's a shame. Not even the AptioV version? In any case, I downloaded a fresh copy of the bios and ran it through UBU, and UBU evidently doesn't like Aptio 5 either (won't update the microcode). That's... Problematic. Sorry, guys, though hopefully that guide at least helps other people with previous-gen laptops like my G750JM.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by djamelXm View Post
    Hello Everyone i think ASUS will give BIOS update for Z87 & Z97 and other product
    My H81M-K got BIOS fix so it's just matter of time for MID & HIGH product

Where is my patch for my X99 Deluxe?

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array Brighttail PC Specs
    Brighttail PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G751JT
    MotherboardAsus x299 Rampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorIntel i9-7900x
    Memory (part number)Corsair Dominator Platinum SE 3200Mhz 4x8
    Graphics Card #1MSI GTX 1080TI
    MonitorAcer XB321HK (4k,IPS,G-sync)
    Storage #1Intel 900p (Boot) 2xSM961 (RAID 0) Games
    Storage #2Samsung 850 Pro 512GB - WD Black 4TB
    CPU CoolerCustom Water Cool
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1200i
    Keyboard Corsair Platinum 95
    Mouse Asus SPATHA
    Mouse Pad Corsair MM800
    Headset/Speakers Kanyo Y5
    OS Windows 10 64 bit
    Accessory #1 2 x Alphacool Full Copper Radiator 420mm/280mm
    Accessory #2 Monsoon MMRS reservoir w/ 2 x D5 Vario Pump
    Accessory #3 Monsoon Free Center Compression Fittings

I updated to 1102 on my Asus Rampage 6 Extreme. This BIOS is an Asus release on their product page. The patch took but it still shows that I'm vulnerable, not sure why. It also comes with a pretty significant performance hit, especially to SSDs. You can see my post here:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...age-VI-Extreme
    Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz
    MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
    Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD
    Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram
    Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

Page 33 of 70 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 43 ... LastLast