Page 13 of 70 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 63 ... LastLast
    New ROGer Array

microcode?

Well I found this tool called SIW and it says my microcode is mu069e095e which doesn't seem to match anything that is in the linux microcode.dat file. So does that mean there is no update available for my processor?

ROG Member Array raximus21 PC Specs
    raximus21 PC Specs
    MotherboardMAXIMUS HERO VII
    Processorintel i7 4790k
    Memory (part number)16 GB
    Graphics Card #1GEFORCE GTX 750
    Sound CardAUDIOFIRE 4

Quote Originally Posted by MagicBoy View Post

I've got a Haswell ThinkPad sat on my desk at work. Lenovo updated the BIOS for that just out of 3 year warranty machine with the updated microcode for this two weeks ago. It can be done. If Asus refuse they they're just being unreasonable.
    100 percent. I've been trying to reach out to them via social media as well. They need to patch all mb that supports 4th Gen Intel and up. That's really not asking for much. They have already said they are releasing updates for mb that support the 4th Gen Intel procs so they have already worked with the microcode. It's completely unreasonable to expect me to try and patch my own bios when I just bought a mb brand new from them in mid 2014.

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array Brighttail PC Specs
    Brighttail PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G751JT
    MotherboardAsus x299 Rampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorIntel i9-7900x
    Memory (part number)Corsair Dominator Platinum SE 3200Mhz 4x8
    Graphics Card #1MSI GTX 1080TI
    MonitorAcer XB321HK (4k,IPS,G-sync)
    Storage #1Intel 900p (Boot) 2xSM961 (RAID 0) Games
    Storage #2Samsung 850 Pro 512GB - WD Black 4TB
    CPU CoolerCustom Water Cool
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1200i
    Keyboard Corsair Platinum 95
    Mouse Asus SPATHA
    Mouse Pad Corsair MM800
    Headset/Speakers Kanyo Y5
    OS Windows 10 64 bit
    Accessory #1 2 x Alphacool Full Copper Radiator 420mm/280mm
    Accessory #2 Monsoon MMRS reservoir w/ 2 x D5 Vario Pump
    Accessory #3 Monsoon Free Center Compression Fittings

Lets be clear Asus hasn't yet refused. While they haven't posted many motherboards, they did get to x99. But only the R5E. That leaves the x99 deluxe, prime, WS, -a, TUF all not up on that platform, which doesn't make sense. Hopefully they will do this as a Stage one, stage two, stage three thing.

In all honesty, I think there is a lot of paranoia around this whole thing. Yes the computers are vulnerable, but I can't imagine some black hat choosing my IP out of millions of computers to come get my gaming information. Even if they got in there is still alot of work needed to happen before they have viable information pulled from my computer. The big boys that do this cracking for a living, aren't going to get a lot going after of small computers like a ransomware, there is no money in this unless they have information.
    Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator Platinum SE 4x8 3200MHz
    MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p in a bootable VROC RAID 0 / Samsung 960 Pro 512GB
    Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD
    Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Spatha
    Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

Banned Array JustinThyme PC Specs
    JustinThyme PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752VY-DH72
    MotherboardRampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorI9 9940X
    Memory (part number)64GB DDR4 8x8 Corsair Dominator Platinum 3800 MHz @ C17
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1GHz
    Graphics Card #2ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1Ghz
    Graphics Card #3ROG Nvlink
    Graphics Card #4Have to feed animals
    Sound CardExternal Audioengine D1 24 bit 192kbps DAC
    MonitorASUS PG348Q @ 100Hz
    Storage #1Intel 905P 480GB U2 flavor
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO 1TB X2 in RAID 0, 960 PRO 1TB DIMM.2_1
    CPU CoolerHeatKiller IV PRO and VRM blocks ,Dual D5 PWM serial, 2X 480, 1X 360 RADS
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite 8X LL120 PWM, 3X LL140 PWM, 12 SP120 PWM 1x AF140 PWM
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1500i
    Keyboard ASUS Claymore
    Mouse ASUS Spatha, Logitech MX Master
    Headset Sennheiser HD 700
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Sheath
    Headset/Speakers Audioengine A5+ with SVS SB-1000 Sub
    OS Win10 Pro 1809
    Network RouterNetGear NightHawk X10
    Accessory #1 NetGear Prosafe 10GBe Switch
    Accessory #2 Qnap TVS-682 NAS modded with I7 CPU

Quote Originally Posted by Brighttail View Post
    Lets be clear Asus hasn't yet refused. While they haven't posted many motherboards, they did get to x99. But only the R5E. That leaves the x99 deluxe, prime, WS, -a, TUF all not up on that platform, which doesn't make sense. Hopefully they will do this as a Stage one, stage two, stage three thing.

In all honesty, I think there is a lot of paranoia around this whole thing. Yes the computers are vulnerable, but I can't imagine some black hat choosing my IP out of millions of computers to come get my gaming information. Even if they got in there is still alot of work needed to happen before they have viable information pulled from my computer. The big boys that do this cracking for a living, aren't going to get a lot going after of small computers like a ransomware, there is no money in this unless they have information.
    Im with you. They have to get into your network first, that in and of itself is a challenge so long as you have done your due diligence in network security and firewalls.

Is there a vulnerability? Yes but honestly more people leave themselves wide open using java scripted sites. Add to that the efforts required why would they come after me to get my maxed out credit line? The ones that have to worry about this are financial institutions and believe me when I say they are balls to the walls on this. The money spent recently in just one such institutions data centers is well past the $100 Million mark which is chump change when you are talking about places that turn anywhere from 5 to 20 billion daily in transactions. Their butts are puckered so tight you couldnt get a greased BB in there! Im sitting at home because they are all on security lock down to nothing but essential personel.

Again, the hoops that have to be jumped through and levels of security to breach just to get the point of being able to deploy such an exploit is horrendous. For personal use I dont even give it a second thought. If you are running a ton of virtual machines in a corporate setting, then there is a little more to worry about but still they have to get in your network first.

ROG Enthusiast Array SumTingWong PC Specs
    SumTingWong PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Maximus Vii Hero Z97
    Processori7 4790k @ 4.5Ghz
    Memory (part number)Corsair Red Vengeance Red 32GB DDR3
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Strix GTX 970
    Sound CardN/A
    MonitorASUS 27' 1080P
    Storage #1Samsung 256GB 850 EVO SSD
    Storage #2Seagate 1TB HDD + WD 2TB HDD
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH D15S
    CaseCorsair 750D
    Power SupplyEVGA G2 850W
    Keyboard Razer 2015
    Mouse Razer 2015
    Headset Walmart headset
    Mouse Pad N/A
    Headset/Speakers LogicTech $30 speaker from Walmart
    OS Windows 10 64 bit

I'm not sure RIP. The actual microcode needed to "fix" the issue has been released. It would require you to rebuild the BIOS. There are websites and I'm sure there will be a step by step tutorial on how to do it and it wouldn't surprise me if some entrepreneur type that will write the code up for you, thus only needing you to flash it, will come up soon "for a nominal fee" of course.

The problem with older motherboards is for each BIOS update even with the microcode, it can have other adverse affects. So Asus, like anyone else, will take those motherboards still under warranty and do the fixes.

It would be nice if they offered "out of warranty" fixes.

My guess it will be the same with Astek, MSI, Gigabyte, ect. There comes a point that when a board/device is out of warranty you aren't required to maintain updates.
    Entrepreneur type that will write the code up for us? Well, I will not touch that because I'm too scared.

1) I don't know what they are modifying in the BIOS.

2) You shouldn't flash any BIOS that is not come directly from your motherboard vendor.

3) Even entrepreneurs manage to write the code for us, they still can't provide us information whether is stable on our system or not. Flashing BIOS is not the same as install Windows Update. Improper Flashing BIOS can result un-bootable system.

Let's hope ASUS will push out BIOS update for Z87 and Z97 board as well since they already released a BIOS update for two X99 boards. As for the warranty repair, why we have to send our board in for just a simple flashing BIOS update for Spectre? It would be easy and less time consuming if they can just simply upload the BIOS online.
    Last edited by SumTingWong; 01-09-2018 at 05:11 AM.

ROG Member Array raximus21 PC Specs
    raximus21 PC Specs
    MotherboardMAXIMUS HERO VII
    Processorintel i7 4790k
    Memory (part number)16 GB
    Graphics Card #1GEFORCE GTX 750
    Sound CardAUDIOFIRE 4

I'm fine with waiting for the update considering my board is over 3 years old. I completely understand they need to patch the newer boards first. However, there has been no indication that there will be any kind of Stage1, 2 etc and that is what I want to hear from them.

I don't care about the exact situation of the attacker needing to have access to my network blah blah. The vulnerability is real and Asus needs to keep their last 5 years or so of customers protected with security updates, especially for these more serious large scale security situations.

Here's hoping they'll let us all know something soon. I don't mind waiting a few months for a bios update for my Maximus vii. Just tell me you're going to do it eventually Asus.

ROG Enthusiast Array RamGuy PC Specs
    RamGuy PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)MacBook Pro 13-inch retina with touch bar 2016
    MotherboardAsus Maximus X Apex @ 1003
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-8700K @ 4.9GHz
    Memory (part number)G.Skill 4266MHz 2x 8GiB (F4-4266C19D-16GTZR)
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid
    Sound CardHegel HD12 External DAC
    MonitorAsus RoG PG348Q + Asus RoG PG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 960 Pro NVMe 1TB
    Storage #2Samsung 960 Evo NVMe 1TB
    CPU CoolerNZXT Kraken X62
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Tempered Glass Black
    Power SupplySeasonic Platinum 1200W (SS-1200XP3)
    Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB RapidFire Cherry MX Speed
    Mouse Logitech G Pro
    Headset Sennheiser HD 800
    Mouse Pad SteelSeries QcK Extended
    OS Windows 10 Pro (1709 Fall Creators Update)
    Network RouterGoogle WiFi with 3x nodes (Previously Asus RT-AC5300)
    Accessory #1 Xbox One Elite Controller + Wireless Adapter
    Accessory #2 Zowie Mouse Bungie
    Accessory #3 TPM-Module (Trusted Platform Module)

Where do you find the new microcode's to integrate yourself? The only thing I can find on the Intel Support Website is a microcode update from back in November? This is supposedly not the one with the patched microcode.

New ROGer Array

microcode?

Quote Originally Posted by RamGuy View Post
    Where do you find the new microcode's to integrate yourself? The only thing I can find on the Intel Support Website is a microcode update from back in November? This is supposedly not the one with the patched microcode.
    hmm.. the only one I found was done in 11/17/2017 which is the one your talking about. So maybe they haven't released it publicly? I not sure how others are getting a hold of it if they indeed are.

I looked around on linux code sights as well and it seemed like they were pointing to the 11/17/2017 file as saying it has the fixes. However it looked like it didn't have updated microcode for a lot of processors according to the release notes.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array restsugavan PC Specs
    restsugavan PC Specs
    MotherboardRAMPAGE VI EXTREME
    ProcessorCore i9 7980XE
    Memory (part number)64GB GSKILL TRIDENT-Z RGB 3200
    Graphics Card #1ASUS ROG POSEIDON
    MonitorSAMSUNG UD590D
    Storage #1INTEL600P 1TB
    CPU CoolerNZXT KRAKEN 62
    CaseCorsair Carbine 540
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1200i
    Keyboard Microsoft
    Mouse Microsoft
    Mouse Pad ASUS
    Headset/Speakers Sony
    OS Windows 10 2019 Insider Preview 18323
    Network RouterD-LINK

Please waitng for modded BIOS form Fernaldo @Win-Raid forum better. They're safe place to trying modded BIOS for me.

In case of ASUS support after ending warranty period, I'd like to say it upon yourself.

My RAMPAGE II Gene RAMPAGE IV EXTREME are using modded BIOS for NVME support bootable. Both work very well.
    Modded BIOS contained new microcode , RST OROM, Gbe ROM , ME firmware may help anyone system up to date.

Sure. It is time again for my old rigs with newier modded BIOS. Don't ever hope ASUS will release official BIOS for 3+ years and beyond.

Last edited by restsugavan; 01-09-2018 at 07:48 AM.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Nixon2992 View Post
    Update firmware guaranteed get all machines with Haswell(All SKUs), Broadwell(only E,EP),Skylake (All SKUs),Kabylake(All SKUS),Coffee Lake-S.

What about Maximus IV gen-z/gen3 for Sandybridge ?

Page 13 of 70 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 63 ... LastLast