ROG Member Array raximus21 PC Specs
    raximus21 PC Specs
    MotherboardMAXIMUS HERO VII
    Processorintel i7 4790k
    Memory (part number)16 GB
    Graphics Card #1GEFORCE GTX 750
    Sound CardAUDIOFIRE 4

Quote Originally Posted by Margus View Post
    asus told its 5 years old and no updates planned anymore witch is bad thinking for sutch issue.
    Can you please elaborate? Did you contact them directly and was told this by official Asus support? Where are you getting this information? Thanks.

raximus21 PC Specs
    Processorintel i7 4790k
    Sound CardAUDIOFIRE 4

If the above post is true.

I think it's amazing there are so many people with z97 boards in here trying to solve this problem themselves and still Asus doesn't see there is any reason to do anything for us...
    Last edited by raximus21; 01-10-2018 at 05:56 PM.

New ROGer Array

Angry They Have The Microcode

I'm using an i7-920 on the Rampage III Formula. This is an older motherboard with an X58 chipset.

The system itself is still quite capable of playing modern games. It is certainly more than enough to browse the internet or do MS Office for kids in school.

From post #161, we know Intel has provided the microcode fix for A LOT of legacy processors, including the i7-920.

So, I'm going to be forced to buy a new system, paying new system pricing, only to have it gimped because all Intel CPUs are vulnerable at this moment.

If I buy a new motherboard, new RAM, new processor, etc. then I am glad I have choices.

ASUS, you WILL lose a long time customer if there is no BIOS update for my Rampage III Formula motherboard to fix this stupid Intel BS.

ROG Enthusiast Array SumTingWong PC Specs
    SumTingWong PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Maximus Vii Hero Z97
    Processori7 4790k @ 4.5Ghz
    Memory (part number)Corsair Red Vengeance Red 32GB DDR3
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Strix GTX 970
    Sound CardN/A
    MonitorASUS 27' 1080P
    Storage #1Samsung 256GB 850 EVO SSD
    Storage #2Seagate 1TB HDD + WD 2TB HDD
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH D15S
    CaseCorsair 750D
    Power SupplyEVGA G2 850W
    Keyboard Razer 2015
    Mouse Razer 2015
    Headset Walmart headset
    Mouse Pad N/A
    Headset/Speakers LogicTech $30 speaker from Walmart
    OS Windows 10 64 bit

Quote Originally Posted by donavanbadboy View Post
    You are correct, I am being impatient, but as someone who knows enough about Spectre and Meltdown to write PoC "working" exploits in a test environment I realise the true seriousness of the problem.

Making sure your AV is up to date and being generally cautious about which web sites you visit is not good enough.

I hope ASUS push out microcode updates from Intel in short order for every applicable product they have ever made, and ASUS should (if possible) sue Intel for the costs.
    Computer cannot get infected without user interactions, am I right? So as Intel said, attacker need to access your OS locally, so this is not an airborne attack. It require you to access a malicious site or an email attachment or whatever able to deliver the payload, and run the malicious application in order to exploits Meltdown and Spectre vulnerability. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't patch it before it too late. Microsoft already done their part on Meltdown, and Intel vows that at the end of January all CPU been produced the last 5 years will be patch. However, Intel doesn't tell us how this will be distribute, but Intel did mentioned that they are working with motherboard vendor to push out the firmware to consumers. To put it simply understanding, we have to wait for the motherboard vendors to push them out because Intel have no control on it.

ROG Enthusiast Array RamGuy PC Specs
    RamGuy PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)MacBook Pro 13-inch retina with touch bar 2016
    MotherboardAsus Maximus X Apex @ 1003
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-8700K @ 4.9GHz
    Memory (part number)G.Skill 4266MHz 2x 8GiB (F4-4266C19D-16GTZR)
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid
    Sound CardHegel HD12 External DAC
    MonitorAsus RoG PG348Q + Asus RoG PG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 960 Pro NVMe 1TB
    Storage #2Samsung 960 Evo NVMe 1TB
    CPU CoolerNZXT Kraken X62
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Tempered Glass Black
    Power SupplySeasonic Platinum 1200W (SS-1200XP3)
    Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB RapidFire Cherry MX Speed
    Mouse Logitech G Pro
    Headset Sennheiser HD 800
    Mouse Pad SteelSeries QcK Extended
    OS Windows 10 Pro (1709 Fall Creators Update)
    Network RouterGoogle WiFi with 3x nodes (Previously Asus RT-AC5300)
    Accessory #1 Xbox One Elite Controller + Wireless Adapter
    Accessory #2 Zowie Mouse Bungie
    Accessory #3 TPM-Module (Trusted Platform Module)

Quote Originally Posted by TrevorK View Post
    I'm using an i7-920 on the Rampage III Formula. This is an older motherboard with an X58 chipset.

The system itself is still quite capable of playing modern games. It is certainly more than enough to browse the internet or do MS Office for kids in school.

From post #161, we know Intel has provided the microcode fix for A LOT of legacy processors, including the i7-920.

So, I'm going to be forced to buy a new system, paying new system pricing, only to have it gimped because all Intel CPUs are vulnerable at this moment.

If I buy a new motherboard, new RAM, new processor, etc. then I am glad I have choices.

ASUS, you WILL lose a long time customer if there is no BIOS update for my Rampage III Formula motherboard to fix this stupid Intel BS.

Older CPU's are listed, but it doesn't seem to mean the same as we have gotten a new microcode. I unpacked the microcode.dat and there is only five CPU's that have received a new microcode update thus far in 2018 and there is fourteen that received a new microcode in november-descember 2017. So it seems to be a total of ninteen CPU's/CPUID's that have received a patched microcode thus far.

My i7-3960X and E3-1275v2 have microcodes dating all the way back to 2012 and 2013. So nothing new for them thus far and I'm not sure they will ever receive a fix.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by SumTingWong View Post
    Computer cannot get infected without user interactions, am I right? So as Intel said, attacker need to access your OS locally, so this is not an airborne attack. It require you to access a malicious site or an email attachment or whatever able to deliver the payload, and run the malicious application in order to exploits Meltdown and Spectre vulnerability. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't patch it before it too late. Microsoft already done their part on Meltdown, and Intel vows that at the end of January all CPU been produced the last 5 years will be patch. However, Intel doesn't tell us how this will be distribute, but Intel did mentioned that they are working with motherboard vendor to push out the firmware to consumers. To put it simply understanding, we have to wait for the motherboard vendors to push them out because Intel have no control on it.
    Please don't patronise me. *shakes head*

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Scone View Post
    This is due to the driver not being present at boot, thus before hand-off, the older microcode is still present whilst the OS is loading. Best thing to do is to wait for the UEFI update.
    Yeah in theory if there ever is a BIOS update especially on older machines.. lol

I just wanted to see if there was someway to get this method to work. Unfortunately there may not be a way to get windows to enable the fix on the fly. If they could fix it so it can be on the fly that would be a good workaround solution for some people with older hardware that have potentially no hope of a BIOS update.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by firefox2026 View Post
    PS C:\script\SpeculationControl> Get-SpeculationControlSettings
    Speculation control settings for CVE-2017-5715 [branch target injection]

Hardware support for branch target injection mitigation is present: True
    Windows OS support for branch target injection mitigation is present: True
    Windows OS support for branch target injection mitigation is enabled: False
    Windows OS support for branch target injection mitigation is disabled by system policy: False
    Windows OS support for branch target injection mitigation is disabled by absence of hardware support: False
    Thank you! This part of the report looks really strange. May be, it is worth to show it to MS support and ask to modify software patch if it is possible? For example, switch software support later?

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    Memory (part number)16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 1080 Strix
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by raximus21 View Post
    Thank you for the response on this subject.

@xeromist

What is the best way to ask Asus for help on this topic? Social media? On the forums? Is there some kind of email address that I can contact with my concerns? I want them to know there are people with Z97 boards that want the security update for this issue. Thanks again.
    Well, as to the forums anyway you can see who has read a thread by looking at the usernames at the bottom of the page. ASUS people have read this thread so they know there are people with older models that want a fix. ASUS may not have decided anything yet but are just working through various models & chipsets. Hence no ASUS person has posted a definitive yes or no because they don't know either. I'd hesitate to trust that single phone representative saying your board is too old. That could just be a personal assumption on their part rather than an official decision.

Anyway, yeah it couldn't hurt to post on social media and to call ASUS support. Just try to be calm when doing so. As someone who used to work phone support I tried extra hard to help nice people but angry/mean people got the bare minimum of help.
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

< < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!

raximus21 PC Specs
    Processorintel i7 4790k
    Sound CardAUDIOFIRE 4

Quote Originally Posted by xeromist View Post
    Well, as to the forums anyway you can see who has read a thread by looking at the usernames at the bottom of the page. ASUS people have read this thread so they know there are people with older models that want a fix. ASUS may not have decided anything yet but are just working through various models & chipsets. Hence no ASUS person has posted a definitive yes or no because they don't know either. I'd hesitate to trust that single phone representative saying your board is too old. That could just be a personal assumption on their part rather than an official decision.

Anyway, yeah it couldn't hurt to post on social media and to call ASUS support. Just try to be calm when doing so. As someone who used to work phone support I tried extra hard to help nice people but angry/mean people got the bare minimum of help.
    Thank you!

This is the most helpful thing I've read so far. I will take this advice and remain hopeful but still vocal, but make every attempt to tone it down and remain calm since I now know the current situation (for older models) is at least on the Asus radar.

Page 20 of 70 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 ... LastLast