cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS X99 Strix Gaming Overclock Problem

Lyvondria
Level 7
Hello!

I have a problem. I got an ASUS X99 Strix Gaming Motherboard yesterday because my old Motherboard ASUS X99-E broke. I have an i7-5960X installed. My problem is, I can't Overclock my i7-5960X to 4ghz without the Temp is going higher than 95C°...(Stresstest ofc) I don't know why. I have an Liquid Cooling AIO H100i V2 240 mm. On my old Motherboard, X99-E, I could easily Overclock the CPU to 4,4ghz with under 80C° Temp with stress testing. On this ASUS X99 Strix Gaming Motherboard, I cant even reach 4ghz without the Temp is going above 90C°+...

Here is my RIG:
CPU: i7-5960x
GPU: Zotac 1080 GTX TI AMP! Extreme
RAM: 32GB CRASS 2133mhz RAM XMP Profile
COOLING: H100i V2 240 mm Liquid

Im pretty sure enough thermal paste is putten on.

Any ideas whats wrong? I cant imagine this new Motherboard is worse then the older one. This makes no sense to me.
I was thinking to buy an i7-6850k and replace it with my i7-5960x. But first, I want to check if its the Motherboard which is "bad" or the CPU maybe. CPU cant be, because as I already said, with my old X99-E it worked completly fine.

Regards
Lyvondria
20 REPLIES 20

MikeAdu
Level 9
Hi!
Please do the following:
1.update BIOS to latest version
2.tell what voltage do you have when OCed to 4GHz.

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. I updated my BIOS yesterday to 1801.
I used 1.150 Voltage on 4GHZ all Cores were Synced (Sync all cores).

The temp was going up to 85C°+ with Real Bench from ASUS.

MikeAdu
Level 9
Yep,temperatures are quite high at 1.15V.
Could you check your CPU cooler for proper seating and thermal grease?
Also check your H100 does it work.
What are your temps at idle?
Also check what is CPU VID voltage too.

Hello,

Currently my CPU Idle is this:

https://i.imgur.com/m6S6zRw.png

How do I check my H100 for proper settings? Theres no tool I guess. I hear the fan and It works.

MikeAdu
Level 9
Okay,with H100 try this-unplug pump from motherboard and check if temperature goes up.if not,then pump could not work,because coolant is cooled by fans.if it goes up,then pump is working.you can go up to 50 degrees,I think.
Let me know.

I just removed the CPU and reattached it with new thermal paste and checked if theres anything not plugged in correctly.

Can I unplug the pump while system is running? Wont it turn off?

MikeAdu
Level 9
Theoretically you can unplug Water pump from motherboard and see if CPU temperature will go up during system ON for short time.
If you can-try to get some wood stick and place it on the pump and the other side put to ear and you will be able to hear the motor.If it rotates then pump is working,if you will not hear any noticeable noice-pump do not work.
Actually you could see pump speed in BIOS.Maybe your pump is set improperly in BIOS settings.
Let me know what you see in bios.

Okey. I think the pump is working. I touched it and it vibrates a bit. Also, I got a program called Corsair Link where it says, the Pump is running.

https://i.imgur.com/UCJlGVR.png

Can it be that there is a problem with the water maybe? I have this Cooling for 1 year now.

MikeAdu
Level 9
Hi.
I use the same Corsair link program.
Why it shows that H100 fan do not spin?
Try to set some curve or fixed rotation speed.Maybe this is the issue that water do not cool down?
Check this and let me know.